Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 04:48   #1

Boat: One-off sailing catamaran, Vidar Granum Design, 40ft
When can we expect an upgrade/a new plotter from B&G?

I want to buy a plotter, and today I would choose the B&G Zeus2. As far as I can see, this was introduced in 2013, so could we expect a new model next year?
(I can get autumn discounts now, but since there is only a couple of weeks left before I put my boat on land for the winter, I rather wait if there is a probability for a newer model.)
Maika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:19   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: When can we expect an upgrade/a new plotter from B&G?

I got a quote from an installer who initially talked about boat show discounts and labor price breaks because of the off season. He said he did not know of any upcoming upgrades. The quote I received priced the B&G stuff HIGHER than MSRP. I am going to wait until spring and see what is on the market.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 03:12   #3

Boat: One-off sailing catamaran, Vidar Granum Design, 40ft

I got the answer below from Navico, so maybe I rather just buy than wait forever. I believe the Tritons are from 2011, so I guess they might be first candidate, at least for a visual upgrade to make them more alike the Zeus-family.

Quote:
"We are not aware of any new models of the Zeus Evo 2 or the Triton instrument coming in 2016 I can never say absolutely no but we are not aware of any plans at this time."
Maika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 06:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

New electronics product announcements are often made at the Ft. Lauderdale or Miami boat shows held in November and February. If a company is going to release a new product they'll keep it under wraps until they're ready to make an official announcement, otherwise they risk sabotaging sales of the existing product line. Sometimes you can predict when a product line is being replaced by how aggressively it's being discounted in the late fall/early winter. I remember when another brand was about to come out with new products a couple of years ago, some of their more popular models could be had at as much as 50% off original list price the preceeding fall where typical off-season discounts for items not being discontinued might be 10-20% at best.

Also keep in mind that with going on the hard for the winter, any electronics bought now will be sitting there not doing anything for their first several months of warranty coverage.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 06:37   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Keep an eye on Panbo (Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub) which regularly reports on the latest cool stuff in marine electronics.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote