Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 22:47   #1

Exclamation Where to tap for new 12v circuit?

Looking to add some low-amperage electronics like a router and switch for onboard wifi. Total draw should be under 5A. Where is the best spot to tap from? I cannot seem to find a "main" distribution block for the 12v. I do see the busbar for the ground though. I found a 15A fuse circuit but would rather tap directly from the source... if I could find it.

The battery bank is about 10' away but I would like this to be controlled by the main electrical cutoff and not directly off the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	246214  
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:18   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Where to tap for new 12v circuit?

That's only half the picture, the breakers are a big part of it. In any case, hard to interpret without a wiring diagram or a closer look showing wire and block labels. You may find that the 12v breakers are bussed together and that there isn't really a distribution block as such for +12v. If that is the case then ideally you would add another breaker and buss it in.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:26   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I see your boat is brand new. That electrical layout looks fantastic. There should be a couple of spares planned in that layout for system enhancements by the yard. Use one of those.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 19:13   #4

Looks like the block still has some empty spots, but you will have to see which breakers they go to. If you have a spare breaker spot - you can also go directly to it or piggy-back off something with similar use/purpose.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote