Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2009, 08:13   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In my opinion the dual VHF is a bit overkill and requires dual antennas anyway. My experience is that Standard Horizon is the best VHF on the market, much better then ICOM.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 08:40   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In my opinion the dual VHF is a bit overkill and requires dual antennas anyway. My experience is that Standard Horizon is the best VHF on the market, much better then ICOM.
Dual VHFs do seem like overkill but I have not found a perfect (at least perfect for me) way to deal with communications in the cockpit and also below so am leaning towards a dual VHF setup. This does not require dual antennaes. A simple coax switch (manual or automatic switches are both available) will allow two radios to use one antennae (not at the same time). Defender has them for about $35.00 if I recall. Been using them for years to connect my FM stereo to the masthead VHF antennae. Gives you great range on the stereo. I could easily pull in most Miami and Ft Lauderdale stations from Bimini and occasionally much further.

Currently using a handheld VHF in the cockpit which is where I need VHF 90% of the time but have to constantly recharge or change batteries. Plus the range is limited. Not usually a problem when calling bridges or oncoming traffic but occasionally I want the range.

I don't really like the remote/command mike system (plus they are not cheap) so unless there are other ideas the dual system seems to be the best compromise. Plus you do have a backup radio just in case.

Agree that Standard Horizon is top of the line. Have had them in every boat I've owned and never had one die, not even when installed in an open cockpit power boat. Have a handheld and flush mount that are both 15 years old and still work like new.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 09:40   #18
Nearly an old salt

The problem with antenna switches is that if its below decks, and you need your on deck VHF, what then, leave the wheel.

I had the standard horizon RAM mike in a previous boat, reasonable and reliable. ALso you can damage the RF output transmitting into a open cable, ie when the swicth is the wrong way.

Yes you can get automatic TX switches, but again it getting complex to achieve a simpel objective and the remote mike idea does work.
Old 30-12-2009, 10:53   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Uniden wireless

THX Charlie, I have seen them but always wondered of the pros/cons.

barnie,
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 10:55   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The problem with antenna switches is that if its below decks, and you need your on deck VHF, what then, leave the wheel.

I had the standard horizon RAM mike in a previous boat, reasonable and reliable. ALso you can damage the RF output transmitting into a open cable, ie when the swicth is the wrong way.

Yes you can get automatic TX switches, but again it getting complex to achieve a simpel objective and the remote mike idea does work.
The automatic coax switch addresses all these concerns and is not complex at all. Install it inline with the antennae cable to both radios and forget it.

It would usually be below decks but since it is automatic it will automatically switch in the output of the cockpit VHF transmission so that unit will always be accessible and no concern about transmitting into an open cable.

Not trying to say it's better or convince you to go that way, just don't think the coax switch is that complicated.

So, tell me about the Standard Horizon RAM mike. Since I'm am suffering from too many years of live concerts my hearing is not what it used to be and wonder about the volume and clarity for the hearing challenged.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 16:34   #21
Nearly an old salt

based on the fact that my wife is contually shouting for me to turn the TV down. I must be a bit deaf. I find the RAM mike good for volume and that unit was on a motor boat with a lot of background engine noise.