Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 09:44   #16

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I have 2 radar units, both of which I am happy with. The mid-90s vintage Furuno I have is a GREAT green-screen unit at the navsta. Excellent resolution and declutter facilities. I can easily do radar nav by this unit.

At the helm is a JRC unit - LCD screen. It draws very low power and is at the helm for that reason. Good resolution although not as good or feature-laden as the Furuno.

If power consumption is a concern for you perhaps consider an LCD unit. Makes for a much quieter mid watch without that genset running...

Old 07-06-2006, 10:23   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd suggest they all have good names, and that your decision might be better made on:
1- Can you find a local dealer and local service, with a good reputation? (One who will do the installation if you aren't.)
2- What else will you be tying to it? Integrated systems are popular, but the gizmos don't always integrate across brands. And when they do, a "brain box" may also need to be added. So consider the whole system, if you're planning to upgrade to one.
3- Warranty. When all else is said and done, you pay for warranty, but the company that gives you the longest one, is expressing faith in their equipment. And if you make the purchase on a credit card, you may be able to get an extra year of warranty coverage from the card company. I know someone who saved $1500 on a big tv repair that way. (Out of my league.<G>)
4-Useability. Try to get hands-on, see which ones make you fiddle with menus and buttons, and which ones have nice controls with single-purpose labels and functions you can understand!

Good reasons to visit some dealers, or catch a boat show.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 19:29   #18

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
I have to defend my fellow fishermen here. with a very few exceptions most of the boats in our fleet are equiped with at least 20,000. in electronics. My old boat Came in at 32,000.00 my new one is goin to break 40,000.00. fish live or die by the accuracy of that equiment. my bottom machine alone is worth close to 4,000.00 It,ll show a hand full of shrimp in three hundred feet of water. take the lowest bidder you bet I did and saved 2500.00. The differance is you cant buy the stuff we use at west marine. There are huge differances in consumer and commercial electronics. that said I think practical sailor had a comparison on radars not long ago.

Matt
Old 09-06-2006, 09:03   #19

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I like my JRC 1800. It isn't the most complex or have the most whistles and Bells, but I like its size and the fact that the screen is in colour. I have moving objects in blue, so a vessel moving will show as a blue line with a white flashing dot at the head of the line, indicating direction. So I can glance at the screen and look for the blue lines only; this really simplifies things.

I really prefer colour over the standard green screen. If you can afford colour, buy it; I think you'll be glad in the end.

The JRC 1800 colour radar/chart plotter has been discontinued.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, radar, raymarine