Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2018, 06:01   #16

Re: Which LED bulb for nav lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you insist on doing it this way, that would be the best unit to use. Is it critical that it be LED? For power reasons? If not, and you don't want to replace the fixture, I would recommend staying with incandescent.
Actually not that critical because the masthead light I would use during sailing is LED already, but the fixture is already BAY15d, just a simple replacement.
Old 21-04-2018, 06:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Actually not that critical because the masthead light I would use during sailing is LED already, but the fixture is already BAY15d, just a simple replacement.
OK, then my recommendation would be to just keep using a normal BAY15D incandescent bulb, which will guaranty that the fixtures works as designed and specified.

Then save your money for a proper LED fixture sometime in the future
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 06:26   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, the white all around ones seem to be OK. Much less so the sidelights.
With the Cree ones, if you do a bit of research and order from the right bin the datasheets are near identical.
Really bright!!
One colour is just inside the IRPCS annex colour graph, the other well inside. Can't remember which though.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:28   #19

Boat: Taswell 43

Don't ask me how I know.......but do not put a cool-white (K5000*) LED bulb in your tricolor masthead. The colors come out off-if anyone checks! Use a warm-white LED bulb, and all is fine-plus you'll get a much longer life and lower amp draw.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:32   #20
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tom-
Ignoring the pesky issue of "your nav lights are not certified to conform with COLREGS once you stick in some random bulb"...there's also a matter than you shouldn't be sticking white LEDs into anything besides white nav lights. White LEDs are often nowhere near full-spectrum bulbs and you may get odd colors at dim intensities if you are using them in red/green nav lights. You may luck it--just be warned this is experimental lighting.
I agree with all of the above. Also, beware of radio frequency interference (RFI) from these LED replacements. I tried several, and found that all of them caused so much interference that I had a choice: turn on my running lights, or receive on my VHF radios -- but not both.

I finally gave up and installed replacement fixtures from name brand USCG certified units. Look for the "CE" mark if you really want to avoid RFI. The U.S. allows manufacturers to "self certify" their lamps are RFI-quiet. The European Union requires actual lab testing.

Also, make sure the replacements are actually for sailboats. There are two standards for the "vertical sector" light emissions. Sailboats heel - motor boats don't. The cheaper ones have more highly concentrated vertical sectors that will cause the light to vanish beyond about 20 degrees of heel.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 09:12   #21

Attached are some excerpts from an analysis I performed for a navigation lamp LED replacement project.

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname10.png
Views:	123
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	168463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname11.png
Views:	146
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	168464  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname12.png
Views:	171
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	168465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname13.png
Views:	142
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	168466  

ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 10:03   #22
cruiser

There's a good thread in the CF archives on the topic of RFI from LEDs: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...p/t-36083.html. Just search the text for "RFI."

Here's a quick-and-dirty test: with your LED lights off, tune in the weakest NOAA Weather Radio channel. Now turn on all of your LEDs. If the channel reception vanishes, or is covered by static, you have an RFI problem. This is a good practical test to add to your pre-sail checklist if you are skippering an unfamiliar boat.

If you have an HF radio, tune in the WWV stations one at a time (2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz). (Unless you're in Colorado or Hawaii, at any given time, you probably won't receive all of those frequencies.) Turn the LEDs on and off for each frequency. Repeat at another time of day/night for the frequencies you couldn't receive.

The interference test really needs to be performed in a screen room (faraday cage) with a spectrum analyzer, but the above tests will give you an indication if you have a problem.

Don't get caught out on some dark night, with your LEDs on, with no working radio reception.

N8QH
FCC licensed GMDSS Maintainer
Old 21-04-2018, 15:19   #23

Boat: Oyster 55

I don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding LED light bulbs that don't come from a marine source. I replaced the 24v white bulbs in my bow lights and stern light with cool white LED bulbs I bought on eBay for $7.95 each plus $2.95 shipping. These LED's work with 10-30v dc current. I've had no problem with radio interference and they are bright. Who cares about the "wasted" light at the top of them? I can run all the LED's on my boat and use less current than 1 or 2 24v bulbs would use. I use Imtra LED's inside the boat.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 07:11   #24

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I used Dr. LED for running lights and aquasonic tri color plus anchor light on the mast head with daylight sensor.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 07:20   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
I don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding LED light bulbs that don't come from a marine source. I replaced the 24v white bulbs in my bow lights and stern light with cool white LED bulbs I bought on eBay for $7.95 each plus $2.95 shipping. These LED's work with 10-30v dc current. I've had no problem with radio interference and they are bright. Who cares about the "wasted" light at the top of them? I can run all the LED's on my boat and use less current than 1 or 2 24v bulbs would use. I use Imtra LED's inside the boat.
Have you read the discussion above? Have you checked to see what your sidelights actually look like from a distance with those $7.95 cool white LED units inside them? Don't do that. I suggest you read this: Warning not to use LED bulbs in filament bulb navigation lights - Practical Boat Owner
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 08:46   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Not all LEDs make RFI. Actually, it's not the light emitting diodes themselves that cause RFI - it's the switching power sources that permit the wide DC supply voltages inside the LED lamp assemblies that are the culprits. Some manufacturers include the suppression capacitors that cost an extra 10 cents, some don't. It sounds like you got good ones.

But if you ever experience inexplicable radio receiver failures, I suggest you try the NOAA Weather Channel test I described above.