Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 03:38   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Which new RADARS work with OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbers View Post
I too REALLY want to know if OPENCPN can handle the doppler features that newer radars have. Can anyone give any input on this?

(And folks, the wifi seems to be not so reliable many reports).

Here’s a piece on radar_pi v5.0

“The following radar scanners are supported by Radar_pi for OCPN version 5.0 and later:

Garmin HD and xHD radar support.
Navico 4G
Navico HALO (20, 20+, 24, 4, 6, 8) support
Navico 3G support. (Some 3G firmware before Oct 2014 will require set up as a BR24.)
Navico BR24 support.
Manual for this plugin will be found here: Radar_pi Wiki

Radar_pi 5.0 Running BCN writes: “Guys, this plug-in is really fantastic. Radar (Navico 3G) unboxed, supplied cable attached, Ethernet plug-in goes into the PC, power-supply connected, PI enabled, PI requests type of equipment, and that's it. Running. What a pleasure! Thanks! Hubert ””
Old 23-11-2020, 19:13   #17

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Dumb question: For the more modern doppler radars, it is normally requested to have a heading sensor. Does this also apply to the combination with OpenCPN and radar_pi or can the software simulate the heading information from GPS data ?

Regards,

-Richard
Old 30-01-2021, 14:39   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Dumb question: For the more modern doppler radars, it is normally requested to have a heading sensor. Does this also apply to the combination with OpenCPN and radar_pi or can the software simulate the heading information from GPS data ?

Regards,

-Richard
Good question.......anyone?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 01:14   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
A proper heading sensor (compass)must be used as it is relative to the vessel.

COG as generated from a GPS is not relative to the vessel that could be tide sliding or crabbing or just have some leeway. Relaying on a GPS for heading would only work when the vessel is moving forward with no wind, waves or current. Leeway, drift, directional current or rotation when turning or changing course or when going slowly will be unreliable and when stationary will be completely wrong.

Establishing the offset will also be impossible without a proper heading sensor.

In short a GPS indicates the direction the vessel is going a compass indicates the direction the vessel is pointed.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 02:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

following ... any recommendation for a small and less expensive radar latest generation that can be bought without display as I intend to use my OpenCPN monitors to watch radar. Very confusing all these models ...
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 14:57   #21

Boat: Thomas Colvin, Tamarack schooner
Thumbs up Re: Which new RADARS work with OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo7 View Post
following ... any recommendation for a small and less expensive radar latest generation that can be bought without display as I intend to use my OpenCPN monitors to watch radar. Very confusing all these models ...
Hoping for the same.. I'm about to spec out a system for our boat and I don't want to skimp on the radar dome.
tyzardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 01:33   #22

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Hi,

The simple answer is: if you want a modern radar (with doppler), there is only one choice: the B&G/Simrad/Lowrance (Navico) HALO (model 20+ or better for doppler).

The plugin supports other brands (Garmin, Raymarine) as well but these are really old models. Unfortunately no people that can do light development that own such a radar seem to exist or are interested in adding support.

All three of the plugin developers run a Navico radar. As it happens we have a perfect spread: one 3G, one 4G and one HALO24. I'm the one that has the HALO24. I upgraded from 4G and it is a big upgrade in terms of radar performance especially in big waves.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 02:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
All three of the plugin developers run a Navico radar.
Merrimac,

thank you for the effort. i chose the B&G Halo 20+ because the OpenCPN support seemed to be the most mature for this brand / generation.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 19:43   #24

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Thanks so far,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a heading sensor (NMEA2000) to work with HALO20/24 and Open-CPM ?

-Richard (VK4WRS)
Old 15-06-2022, 16:25   #25

Sorry, I left this too long.

The only radar that the OpenCPN radar plug-in supports Doppler for is the Navico HALO series which have Doppler (unlike MARPA/ARPA we cannot reproduce this in the plug-in). Ergo: HALO 20+, 24, 3, 4, 6.

As to N2K GPS, I am a fan of the Furuno SCX-20 GNSS compass that I have on board. It is totally superb, and steers my autopilot better than the P9 compass *plus* the radar overlay is always 100%. It also costs a boat dollar!

There are now many cheaper N2K GNSS solutions available from various suppliers at < €200 but I have no personal experience. These will only provide a position, not a heading.
Old 31-08-2022, 16:36   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 42

Looks like all the 3G models have disappeared from suppliers. Cheapest are around 2k$ now ... ouch..! Any ideas, please?
4kMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 00:00   #27

3G and 4G haven’t been produced for 4-5 years now, so it took a longer time that I would have predicted for the channel to sell all of them. The Garmin radars that are supported are not ideal as they still have a magnetron, so limited lifespan and high current use.

Tags
enc, opencpn, radar, work