Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 12:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Which Omnidirectional TV Antenna?

I'm going to have my mast off for re-rigging, so would like to mount a TV antenna while the mast is down. I'm thinking of mounting the antenna just above the radar and spreaders, roughly half way up the mast. Would the antenna interfere with the radar, if mounted a couple of feet above the radar?

Can anyone advise about the pro's and con's of the Shakespeare Style 2025, with a control box to adjust the Gain (Shakespeare Antenna Specifications: SeaWatch® 2025 Off-air TV) VERSUS the Style 2030-G, Off-air TV with no gain adjustment (Shakespeare Antenna Specifications: SeaWatch® 2030-G Off-air TV). There's only a $20+ difference in price, but then one more electronic thing to fail.

Any advise?
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 13:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Which Omnidirectional TV Antenna?

I put in the Shakespeare with the gain, mounted it on the stern "pole". Has worked well for a few years now.

Gotta remember to turn down the gain when there is a strong signal!

Putting it on the mast would be a PITA, probably not necessary. Signal is either blocked by hills or it is not. Height may not make much of a difference to reception but it will make a big difference to installation cost and maintainability.

If you're that worried about receiving weak signals I'd suggest hoisting a "Yaggi" up a halyard.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 14:47   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I'm going to have my mast off for re-rigging, so would like to mount a TV antenna while the mast is down. I'm thinking of mounting the antenna just above the radar and spreaders, roughly half way up the mast. Would the antenna interfere with the radar, if mounted a couple of feet above the radar?

Can anyone advise about the pro's and con's of the Shakespeare Style 2025, with a control box to adjust the Gain (Shakespeare Antenna Specifications: SeaWatch® 2025 Off-air TV) VERSUS the Style 2030-G, Off-air TV with no gain adjustment (Shakespeare Antenna Specifications: SeaWatch® 2030-G Off-air TV). There's only a $20+ difference in price, but then one more electronic thing to fail.

Any advise?
We have had the predeceasor to the 2030-G (very modest differences) mounted on our masthead for 10+ years with no dofficulty. The unit seems to work quite well, even when quite far from broadcast station antennas, and does handle digital signals without difficulty. If you are in an area with many highrise buildings, such as the marina in down-town St. Pete, there is some multi-path reception issues that can make some of the channels "fuzzy" but others are perfectly clear. The height of the masthead does seem to help with reception. I cannot comment on the benefits of the "gain" adjustment ability of the companion unit but ours, without, has proven pretty satisfactory.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 15:36   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We have been using the Shakespeare SeaWatch for some time now with the signal booster and have been satisfied with it. If you are not concerned about cost and want a first class antenna, look at the lesser known but highly regarded Navy. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 17:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I have used this one for the past two years

http://www.majestic-global.us/catego...id_category=11

Originally bought it for the YOT, but have been using it at home. Nice compact size and I am very impressed with the reception.

Defender has them listed on line for $119 I think....?

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 18:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I see you're in Ponte Vedra. I pick up everything that Jacksonville has to offer here on the St. Johns as well as much coverage when cruising the East US Coast except for the Keys and the Bahamas with this very simple ring atop my mizzen and available for about $30. I think your in for a wide range of success.
Old 01-06-2013, 15:51   #7

I have been using the HD-360 omnidirectional tv antenna from National Antennas and am pretty satisfied with the omni reception of dtv hdtv.

Got it at BUY DIRECT HDTV OUTDOOR DIGITAL UHF VHF ANTENNAS
askywatcher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:57   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have a Glomex boosted antenna at the masthead, inherited from the PO. It pulls in like 35 freeview digital channels with crystal clarity, some of them HD, even from fairly remote locales. Utterly wasted on me since I never run the TV except on rare occasions when I've been on board alone for lngthy periods and feel like hearing the sound of a human voice.

The boosted ones help a lot if you have a long cable run (there's a whole lot of attenuation at those frequencies). Height is king.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna