Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 10:58   #16

Boat: IP 44
Re: Why do we still use cigarette-lighter adapters?

I hate the old cig sockets. Clunky and unreliable connection. However, like Lake-Effect mentioned above, they are good for 10 A and they have remained a stable fixture for decades. Yes, USB is the defacto these days. But USB A is already being slowly over taken by USB C, as seen in the current trend with the USB sockets having both an A and C receptacle. And it wont be long before C is replaced with something even better. The world we live in. So whats better, replacing a hard wired socket, or popping in the newest connection method into the dinosaur cig lighter plug? I really dont know. Both annoying.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 11:10   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
I hate the old cig sockets. Clunky and unreliable connection. However, like Lake-Effect mentioned above, they are good for 10 A and they have remained a stable fixture for decades. Yes, USB is the defacto these days. But USB A is already being slowly over taken by USB C, as seen in the current trend with the USB sockets having both an A and C receptacle. And it wont be long before C is replaced with something even better. The world we live in. So whats better, replacing a hard wired socket, or popping in the newest connection method into the dinosaur cig lighter plug? I really dont know. Both annoying.
The “clunky and unreliable connection” issue has been dealt with by BlueSea Systems. Their outlets are solid and even support twist to lock plugs.

It has nickel plated copper for all conducting parts and supports 15A. It is only rated for 12V but I tested at 24V and it passed with flying colors. There was no heating at any contact anywhere. Only the USB adapter itself heats up, but it is housed in a machined aluminium plug with very good heatsink function.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 11:26   #18

Boat: Hunter 356

I us the lighter to power an invertor that powers medical equipment when away from marinas
Zzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 16:38   #19

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I just bought an inexpensive Standard Horizon handheld VHF for use with the dinghy and it came with an AC wall charger and an alternative DC cigarette lighter style plug. I have both USB and socket style receptacles on the boat, so the socket style will now get more usage.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 17:17   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Cigarette adapters are good for medium amperage (10A) 12v.
Good for powering assessories that require 12,10.8,9.6,7.2&6v

Unless I am mistaken all the USB versions are 5.5v or similar.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 17:24   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
I know these are around for historical reasons, however the world is moving towards USB A and C adapters.

In most cases there is a cigarette-lighter to USB adapter permanently mounted in the socket.

I regularly get corrosion in the socket that can lead to poor connections. I also assume that there is some loss by introducing an extra adapter.

Is there a reason we continue to use these adapters rather than directly wiring in a USB A and C socket?
The cigarette lighter can deliver 10A, some 15A @12V while USB C max is 85W or 7A @12V (very expensive if they really deliver 85W).

EG for my iPad Air I only get a 12V power supply that connects to cigarette lighter, same with the decathlon air compressor for SUP and dingy which needs 10-12A.
I replaced them in all cabins (except the owner) with USB A and C-Ports and in owner i kept cigarette light for the MAC air power supply and I added 4 USB A and 2 USB C with PD 85W.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 17:31   #22

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I got a whole range of receptors/connectors on the boat, hardwired, including the old fashioned cigaret lighter socket. But really the socket I use for high current is the merit plug.
These receptors are good and some of them are water proof. I got some of them mounted on my campervan/RV outside, and lasted for over 10 years now. Mainly used for air compressor (for re-inflating tyres) that draws 40 amps. Note, I don't think merit plugs are rated this high, but it has worked fine, and they are fused with 50 amps.

I am not aware of a different/newer standard of socket/plug for high current.

For laptops and other paraphernalia I use a range of simple (panel mounted) sockets, and each socket with the correct voltage that they require (ranging from 6 volt to 24 volt), each socket (other than 12-15 Volt) with its own buck converter to supply the right voltage. And if I were to add a new equipment, I just change or add an other socket, and/or adjust the voltage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merit plug.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	276824  
Old 16-06-2023, 20:10   #23

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Hey, maybe some of us still smoke?
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 23:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Cigarette adapters are good for medium amperage (10A) 12v.
Good for powering assessories that require 12,10.8,9.6,7.2&6v

Unless I am mistaken all the USB versions are 5.5v or similar.
Yes, you are mistaken. You will be shocked when you learn USB type C Power Delivery modes, which are currently at v3.1.

v2.0 defined modes at 5, 9, 12, 15 and 20V, at specific amperages, like 3A. Version 3.0, which is common today, introduced programmable power supply from 3.3V to 21V in steps of 20mV (0.02V steps). This allows a BMS precise control over charging.

In 2021 v3.1 was announced and this allows for 240W charging at up to 48V, as well as reversible charge direction. You can find all info on the USB consortium website: https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd

We will find more and more high voltage USB charging. I believe my Macbook won’t charge at less than 12V USB-C voltage. This is why we feed 24V to the DC outlets with USB adapters.

Old 16-06-2023, 23:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And I just checked for USB PD3.1 chargers on Amazon and found them available with 140W output: https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-Charge.../dp/B0BCJFS3XH

Old 16-06-2023, 23:41   #26

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I go with Jedi on the sockets but find the leads fair more often. Gold plated leads last much longer than standard leads.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 23:49   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the alternate QC modes that are also supported by most USB chargers, you find more info here, but specifics are “secret” or at least not open source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge

I believe the QC4+ mode equals PD3.1

Old 16-06-2023, 23:50   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have done extensive testing and there are no good USB outlets with modern features like PD, USB-C etc.

The outcome of my tests was that you need the expensive, original Blue Sea Systems cigarette lighter outlet and specific adapters inserted into it that have been proven to work by actual testing. I tested 8 different ones all claiming the same thing but only one lived up to the claims.

All the look-alike outlets are cheap wastes of money; they are -not- the same as the BlueSea outlet (I ordered each and every one to test and returned them all)

Note that for USB-C power to laptops etc. you need the high power modes and for this to work you must feed the outlet/adapter with 24V DC.

The BlueSea USB outlet is no good either (obsolete tech)

Here the links to what actually works:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst.../dp/B001U4ZZPK

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHSD9WM

This powers even my Macbook Pro with the big gaming graphics adapter.

Yep. That answers the OP's question -- you need cigarette lighter sockets to take the constantly evolving power supplies for our devices.

Either that or rip them out every couple of years.

One minor quibble with Nick's post, however -- there are fixed outlets with PD, and they don't need 24v. I power my on board minicomputer (the one I run OpenCPN on) with one of these. E.g.: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it's not a substitute for a cigarette lighter socket you can use other chargers in as they evolve.

Now I do have old fashioned 5v USB-A sockets in all of my bunk lights. They are great for trickle charging your phone overnight while you sleep. They are built into the bunk lights.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 00:02   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yep. That answers the OP's question -- you need cigarette lighter sockets to take the constantly evolving power supplies for our devices.

Either that or rip them out every couple of years.

One minor quibble with Nick's post, however -- there are fixed outlets with PD, and they don't need 24v. I power my on board minicomputer (the one I run OpenCPN on) with one of these. E.g.: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it's not a substitute for a cigarette lighter socket you can use other chargers in as they evolve.

Now I do have old fashioned 5v USB-A sockets in all of my bunk lights. They are great for trickle charging your phone overnight while you sleep. They are built into the bunk lights.
All of these adapters work on 12V as well as 24V. But when you connect them to 12V, they will not support modes higher than 9V.

I tested this specific model as well. Connected at 12V, it will charge an iPhone at 5V. When you connect it to 24V, it will negotiate a 9V fast charge with the phone and start charging, but within 30 seconds, charging will completely stop and you must remove and reinsert the phone cable to try again.

So even though the product works at 12V input, it’s performance is just like an USB-A adapter at 5V, 2.4A and it fails on the PD modes.

I have tested every single one available on Amazon that had Prime free return.

Old 17-06-2023, 02:46   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
All of these adapters work on 12V as well as 24V. But when you connect them to 12V, they will not support modes higher than 9V.

I tested this specific model as well. Connected at 12V, it will charge an iPhone at 5V. When you connect it to 24V, it will negotiate a 9V fast charge with the phone and start charging, but within 30 seconds, charging will completely stop and you must remove and reinsert the phone cable to try again.

So even though the product works at 12V input, it’s performance is just like an USB-A adapter at 5V, 2.4A and it fails on the PD modes.

I have tested every single one available on Amazon that had Prime free return.

Interesting. False advertising, then.

We're a 24v boat, so didn't test ours on 12v.

I would have thought a buck booster in the circuit would have solved that, so was not surprised at the claim.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote