Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2023, 08:27   #61

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC
Re: Why do we still use cigarette-lighter adapters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
So in your situation it isn't need higher voltage it is simply you have stuff with that connector which is a perfectly viable reason.
Your statement is misleading. I have never seen a USB connector that will support 300 watts (or even 200 watts). Show me a USB connector (and cable) that will support this level of power, and I'll look into it.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 08:42   #62

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaran Ken View Post
Your statement is misleading. I have never seen a USB connector that will support 300 watts (or even 200 watts). Show me a USB connector (and cable) that will support this level of power, and I'll look into it.
The most recent USB-PD specs specify up to 240W (48V at 5A), but that doesn't mean there are many devices that support it, yet. The last time I looked the most powerful outlets I could find would supply 65W.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 09:03   #63

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
The most recent USB-PD specs specify up to 240W (48V at 5A), but that doesn't mean there are many devices that support it, yet. The last time I looked the most powerful outlets I could find would supply 65W.
So the answer to "Why can't we get rid of cigarette lighter outlets?" is that there is nothing else available that will perform the same function.

I'm sure that I will not see a 240 watt inverter on the market with a USB plug any time in the next 5 years.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 12:42   #64

I also have many USB outlets on my boat and they do see lots of use. Where the old-style socket has proven essential for me is at the helm. My two major pieces of electronic navigation gear at the helm are an iPad and a Raymarine Axiom 9. I not only find the former easier to use and read, but the Axiom quit on me partway through a 2200 mile round trip to the Bahamas, so I only had the iPad (or phones). The Blue Seas dual port USB failed before we were even out of the ICW. I got a new one in Florida, and it, too, failed, near the end of the trip. Having to pull those out of the panel, which exposes a lot of connections to the weather, wasn't something I really enjoy doing. The Blue Sea Systems unit also has the old-style, cigarette-lighter socket, which has never failed in three years of use. I've switched to plugging a USB adapter into that socket, as I can have several on hand as spares, and swapping them out couldn't be easier. Scan Strut does have a more weather resistant USB outlet that I may try next. It's always good to have options.

John
bugbitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 13:35   #65

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
USB suffers the same corrosion problems. You can fix it once or twice with a small piece of Emory board (cardboard nail file)Thankfully a new cable fixes it usually if it’s beyond that.

I’m not sure why anyone uses those. I haven’t used one in 10 years. On boats or RVs. I hard wire in USB ports everywhere so no other adapter is needed.
its becoming hard to find USB outlets that don't have LEDs in them. At least ones that support smart/fast charging that newer USB powered devices like. Apart from the constant voltage drain, I find all the bloody nightlights to be annoying.

I'm struggling rn with whether to convert to USB C with smart/fast support, or anderson power pole or similar and snipping the end off everything that comes with a cig ltr on it......
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 14:08   #66
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbitten View Post
I also have many USB outlets on my boat and they do see lots of use. Where the old-style socket has proven essential for me is at the helm. My two major pieces of electronic navigation gear at the helm are an iPad and a Raymarine Axiom 9. I not only find the former easier to use and read, but the Axiom quit on me partway through a 2200 mile round trip to the Bahamas, so I only had the iPad (or phones). The Blue Seas dual port USB failed before we were even out of the ICW. I got a new one in Florida, and it, too, failed, near the end of the trip. Having to pull those out of the panel, which exposes a lot of connections to the weather, wasn't something I really enjoy doing. The Blue Sea Systems unit also has the old-style, cigarette-lighter socket, which has never failed in three years of use. I've switched to plugging a USB adapter into that socket, as I can have several on hand as spares, and swapping them out couldn't be easier. Scan Strut does have a more weather resistant USB outlet that I may try next. It's always good to have options.

John
Exactly like the results of my tests. The USB outlets I could get, incl. blueSea were all flawed and the cigarette lighter outlet from BlueSea is good (most other ones are cr@p).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 14:12   #67

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Wow. I feel lucky. I started this process a long time ago because I was sick of plugging my phone into AC adapters when I could just go DC to DC. I have USB ports that are still running years and years later. I think I’m on about six years for once out of them.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 14:13   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow. I feel lucky. I started this process a long time ago because I was sick of plugging my phone into AC adapters when I could just go DC to DC. I have USB ports that are still running years and years later. I think I’m on about six years for once out of them.
So which PD and QC modes does it support?

Old 24-06-2023, 14:18   #69

Hard to know because I don’t really pay a lot of attention to that anyway. All I know is they support my MacBook Pro without any trouble. I mean, you’re not going to be editing a movie with the battery at 5% and expect to have it charged probably. But for standard work like programming and stuff like that it keeps it at 100%. And will charge it if it was down.

I have a pair of BlueSea double USBs hardwired into my RV.

One on each side. And each one has a pair. So there are four actual USB things to plug into.

They have indicator lights on them that are green. If you overload the light will shut off. So if I plug in my MacBook and plug in an empty phone and try to use them both pretty hard, the green light will go out and charging will stop.

However, if you are just using one thing it works great. You can also plug-in several phones. You could plug four phones in at once. They will not be fast charging. But they will be charging at the normal low speed rate.

I mean I’m just not really trying to get huge charging current anyway. It’s USB. That’s not what it’s for. It’s for small efficient devices and charge maintenance for the most part on the bigger ones.

But I no longer use that little AC power adapter with my MacBook Pro. I just go straight to any USB port that I am near. And everything is fine. I have some on the boat as well.
Old 24-06-2023, 14:19   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hard to know because I don’t really pay a lot of attention to that anyway. All I know is they support my MacBook Pro without any trouble. I mean, you’re not going to be editing a movie with the battery at 5% and expect to have it charged probably. But for standard work like programming and stuff like that it keeps it at 100%. And will charge it if it was down.

I have a pair of BlueSea double USBs hardwired into my RV.

One on each side. And each one has a pair. So there are four actual USB things to plug into.

They have indicator lights on them that are green. If you overload the light will shut off. So if I plug in my MacBook and plug in an empty phone and try to use them both pretty hard, the green light will go out and charging will stop.

However, if you are just using one thing it works great. You can also plug-in several phones. You could plug four phones in at once. They will not be fast charging. But they will be charging at the normal low speed rate.

I mean I’m just not really trying to get huge charging currency anyway. It’s USB. That’s not what it’s for. It’s for small efficient devices and charge maintenance for the most part on the bigger ones.

But I no longer use that little AC power adapter with my MacBook Pro. I just go straight to any USB port that I am near. And everything is fine. I have some on the boat as well.
I don’t get it… those aren’t even USB-C ?

Old 24-06-2023, 14:45   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t get it… those aren’t even USB-C ?
No. USB A. So you can plug anything into them. Pretty much every phone cord or MacBook Pro cord goes USB a to USB C or Lightning or whatever.

I just do KISS. Never have to worry about exactly what cable because everything is USB A that you plug into.

I do have another super high powered charger on the boat that goes from AC to I don’t know what it is. It shows a little lightning bolt with the number 3 and it’s green. That’s in addition to 4.4 A on the other stack of USB a.

It’s really old but it works just fine.

Here’s another picture of this old timer. 40 W.

I’ll try to dig up the blue sea models wired to 12v. But those are in the RV so I don’t have them with me right now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87403BFB-B540-4212-94D0-C0800C238793.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	277251   Click image for larger version

Name:	FCAEB1E5-029C-4D0B-8F75-6A346BDA94EE.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	277252  

Old 24-06-2023, 15:28   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No. USB A. So you can plug anything into them. Pretty much every phone cord or MacBook Pro cord goes USB a to USB C or Lightning or whatever.

I just do KISS. Never have to worry about exactly what cable because everything is USB A that you plug into.

I do have another super high powered charger on the boat that goes from AC to I don’t know what it is. It shows a little lightning bolt with the number 3 and it’s green. That’s in addition to 4.4 A on the other stack of USB a.

It’s really old but it works just fine.

Here’s another picture of this old timer. 40 W.

I’ll try to dig up the blue sea models wired to 12v. But those are in the RV so I don’t have them with me right now.

Macbook Pro as well as iPad are all USB-C. You must have really old gear, my Macbook Pro is at least 6 years old p, came with a USB-C charger and cable with USB-C at both ends.

iPad now has USB-C at both ends, previous generation had lightning but USB-C at the charger.

Edit: PD and QC are USB-C. They go up to 48V.

Old 24-06-2023, 15:36   #73

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I got this one that looks similar but with an extra port. See screen dump, got it June 2021 so clearly an older model.

I did work a bit, I don’t remember much other than that under high load it cuts out every couple of minutes, probably due to overheating.

Btw, the link you posted does mention that it works on 24V power feed too and indeed that it has a boost converter. I don’t remember if the one I got had the boost converter because after cutting out a couple times, I quickly returned it.
I have 3 of those in my owner cabin wired with 16mm2 cable and they don't cut out. Maybe you just used 2.5mm2 and the voltage drop is too high for the step up converter and cuts out. But usb PD doesn't deliver 65W...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 15:37   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I have 3 of those in my owner cabin wired with 16mm2 cable and they don't cut out. Maybe you just used 2.5mm2 and the voltage drop is too high for the step up converter and cuts out. But usb PD doesn't deliver 65W...
I have tested these… lab setup unlimited supply.

Old 24-06-2023, 15:46   #75

Quote:
Macbook Pro as well as iPad are all USB-C. You must have really old gear, my Macbook Pro is at least 6 years old p, came with a USB-C charger and cable with USB-C at both ends.

iPad now has USB-C at both ends, previous generation had lightning but USB-C at the charger.

Edit: PD and QC are USB-C. They go up to 48V.
Not old at all. You feel like the end of the cable has to be the same on both ends? I use this. Just stick the little end into your MacBook and the big end into the USB charger and you are good to go.

The beauty of that cable is you can also stick it into an android phone and charge that.

I use a lightning cable (USB to Lightning) for the phone only