Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2024, 14:21   #106

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Why do we still use cigarette-lighter adapters?

12V automobile sockets can handle 10A at most. 120W.

The latest USB-PD spec supports up to 240W, though I've not been able to find a panel mount converter to support that, yet.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 14:25   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
12V automobile sockets can handle 10A at most. 120W.

The latest USB-PD spec supports up to 240W, though I've not been able to find a panel mount converter to support that, yet.
I directly wired 10gage from socket to the battery. Seems to do the job fine for all the listed appliances.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 14:30   #108

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I directly wired 10gage from socket to the battery. Seems to do the job fine for all the listed appliances.
You should have a 10A fuse in circuit. Because the socket itself will start to overheat at currents higher than that.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 15:03   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
You should have a 10A fuse in circuit. Because the socket itself will start to overheat at currents higher than that.
I do have the fuses/breakers. And when there were none I install them as needed.

Actually when I first got the boat years ago I assumed that all sockets were of similar capacity. Then one started blowing a fuse often enough. Turned out one of POs rewired it with undersized wire (or the others were rewired with oversized ones, IDK). It was a PITA to snake a new wire in for that undersized one so I'm using it for lightly amped gadgets.

My boat does not have many initial faults but wiring too difficult to access for repair or replacement is one of those faults which I trace to builder/designer not being an active sailor. On the plus side - I don't have the liner issue to hamper me additionally.

At some point I'm thinking of biting the bullet and rewiring the whole thing. But my old salt buddy, a lifetime diesel mechanic with 30+ years of live aboard experience cautions against it as it will either be an enormous DIY undertaking (hiring pros is a nonstarter at today's rates and work quality or lack thereof) or I will get frustrated and stop in the middle of it leaving the job half done.

My other choice is to do item by item or cluster by cluster as the case may be. But that too is a project for the long haul.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 13:33   #110

Boat: Najad 490 1998

I have tested about 60 USB-C power adaptors.

It is REALLY hard to find some that actually follow the standards. Same goes for USB-C powered devices.

I have a Teledyne Lecroy USB-C analyser - and so far I have not had any device pass 100% at all the "in the specs" claimed supported power ranges.

If your USB-C devices comes with a USB-A to USB-C cable for charging - chances are > 70% in my tests that it is not real USB-C but just "USB-A" with a couple of pull-up resistors to match USB-C. It is fully valid but will only charge at low wattage if you power with USB-C to USB-C. Many will not charge from a real USB-C cable/charger combo.

Apart from that USB-C/Lightning & Micro USB usually cables usually don't last long around salt water. The connectors are close together and pocket lint is excellent at maintaining a salty humid environment in devices connectors, ensuring corrosion within a short time. Contact spray with "surface" protector can help a bit.

But old 12v cigarette connectors - you can almost always get going. Much more metal to metal contact. Turn and twist it a few times if it is corroded and you get power. I would say it is the "Diesel Engine" of DC power outlets. And if they are corroded - just in with a good cleaner and abrasive and they are ready again (usually). And you can actually get a good sized brush inside!

I love Anderson PowerPole (15/30/45a) but they have no strain relief on the cables. So vehicles in motion - you often see the cables snap just after the crimp. If you want to use them on the boat - a good filling of hot glue helps. Heatshrink tube helps a bit as well but not as good as filling it with hot glue..
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 02:54   #111

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I would say one of the biggest reasons I use them - and even installed a new pair of them recently - is because there are devices that still come with them.

Most notably I just bought an 12v electric blanket - it uses a cigarette adapter.

My portable frig also use one.

As long as manufacturers make devices with them, I guess we'll have to continue using them.

I don't find them inconvenient.