Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2024, 02:44   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Why my boat kill phone charger cables?

Im curious why my boat kills phone charger cables? They only seem to last a week or so? Does not seem to matter if I use the AC plug (shore power) with adapter or DC cigarette plug. I dont have an inverter.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 05:58   #2

Re: Why my boat kill phone charger cables?

Are they getting wet? The dampness corrodes the connectors and this is what does it.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 06:13   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

How many and how old were the cables? Are they outside or inside.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 06:54   #4

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

We have somewhat given up wire charging in high humidity and just use a wireless charger.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 08:11   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

My guess is that the charge port on the phone itself is damaged and causing a poor connection to otherwise fine and new cables. I have suffered this many times, and I despise the tiny crappy connectors. I have had it happen both from humidity, and from lint that gets in the connector from putting the phone in my pocket.

So, likely you need a new phone. When you replace it, you can get for a few pennies from Amazon rubber plugs that close the socket and keep both lint and moisture out.

If this doesn't happen at home, then maybe the charger you are using at home isn't delivering the same amount of current. PD charge sockets will negotiate the current and voltage for charging, and either because a particular charger doesn't support it, or a cable doesn't, will sometimes charge at a slower rate, which might be low enough to not quickly burn out the cable.
Old 19-04-2024, 08:18   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Buy high quality charge cables, like Anker or Belkin. I've left charge cables on the boat for years and they still keep working, mostly via a 12-volt lighter plug.
Old 19-04-2024, 08:33   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Newer phones pull much more current than older phones. Many adapters, chargers and cords are not able to handle the load. In fact, almost none of the older or cheaper ones are.

Every electrical device should be labeled with the supported voltage and current ranges.

Finally, chargers and alternators can put out up to 14 volts when charging. Any 12VDC device should be able to handle this, but again, some cheap ones can't.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 08:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why my boat kill phone charger cables?

Don't phones come with an appropriate charger cable and plug when new.. use the makers cable.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 10:49   #9

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I use corrosion X in every cable on my boat. And I dab some on the phone connection side with a qtip
Old 19-04-2024, 11:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Im curious why my boat kills phone charger cables? They only seem to last a week or so? Does not seem to matter if I use the AC plug (shore power) with adapter or DC cigarette plug. I dont have an inverter.
I can see no way that these two things are related. The DC and AC are two completely separate systems. Are you using cheap cables and using to high of an amp connection?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 15:33   #11

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

My guess is that the voltage is off.

Have you replaced the power source adapter/ Is it a USB outlet? Is it a lighter outlet? Did you buy from China? Are you connected to shore power? Are you on the hard and in a yard? Are there a great many vessels connected to your shore power with you? Are you 24 volt vessel? Do the cables feel hot? Is there any visual physical damage?

All questions I would be asking my self
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 08:33   #12

Boat: FP Helia 44

Moisture and corrosion were killing my Apple Lightning cables in a few weeks. Really the only reason I switched to the latest iPhone was for USB C. They last much longer am my helm station now.
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 08:37   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Coat contacts with dielectric grease.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 11:54   #14

Quote:
Im curious why my boat kills phone charger cables? They only seem to last a week or so?
So what are you plugging the cable into, I assume some sort of 12v,110/220v to 5v (USB) dongle? First I would say it might be the dongle causing the issues. Second I would says its a cheap junk cable?.

Unless the cable is laying in a VERY damp spot then It should last quite some time. USB cables are pretty simple. They work or dont, but the quality of the wire and construction can vary from you dollar store cheapie to a higher quality cable. Keep in mind Cost isnt always a good indicator of quality.

You might want to invest in one of the USB cable testers. Pretty low cost and can tell you the voltage and current going through your cable. I would get one with flexible USB types, cover both ends of your cable.
Old 26-04-2024, 06:30   #15

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
I have exactly the same problem on my boat. Apple, Anker, the brand doesn’t matter. They last about a season and they’re toast. I always just chalked it up to salt air and humidity.

I’m sure dielectric grease would help, but if I’m being honest with myself, I’m not going to remember to grease my phone cables.

Tags
boat, cables, charger, phone