Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 09:08   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Wi Fi Project

I have started using my I pad most of the time.
My normal Internet connection is via 3G dongle, so replacing this with a MIFi means I can Internet to the non USB equipped iPad.
However I occasionally use some of the free Internet connections available via a booster aerial. The Alfa AWUS036H booster also needs a USB connection but alfa sell a modem called the R36 that will re-broadcast the Alfa Internet connection so weak signal can be used by iPads ( and PC at the same time if you want)
This is the basis of the commercial Wirie ap.( but this homemade version is much cheaper)
I made the addition of adding a sealed lead acid battery. This increases the bulk, but means no wires are needed at all. It sits nicely on top of my boom where it is above all the structures apart from the mast, but is not waving around much (important with the higher gin antennae).

The power requirements of the booster and modem are small so the unit will function for 5 hours before the batteries are at 50% . The batteries were only $35 so if discharging more a short life is not a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	57272   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE30F66D-550F-4F2E-9452-6B9F29DF8CA7-1169-0000021B9B26D649.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	57273  

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 09:15   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Wi Fi Project

I have similar, works really well. Haven't tried it yet with a 3g dongle but should be fine. My antenna is still inside the cabin but I'll mount that on the radar arch of of these months. Also handy to rebroadcast "one computer only" wifi's so you can use laptop, nexus, kindle etc without having to log on machine out and another one in. Draws about 0.2a on 12v direct from the batteries.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Here is our wifi progression over the years. Star with the older post. Chuck
The Trawler Beach House: WiFi

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47   #4

Boat: 1976 Schucker 444

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have started using my I pad most of the time.
My normal Internet connection is via 3G dongle, so replacing this with a MIFi means I can Internet to the non USB equipped iPad.
However I occasionally use some of the free Internet connections available via a booster aerial. The Alfa AWUS036H booster also needs a USB connection but alfa sell a modem called the R36 that will re-broadcast the Alfa Internet connection so weak signal can be used by iPads ( and PC at the same time if you want)
This is the basis of the commercial Wirie ap.( but this homemade version is much cheaper)
I made the addition of adding a sealed lead acid battery. This increases the bulk, but means no wires are needed at all. It sits nicely on top of my boom where it is above all the structures apart from the mast, but is not waving around much (important with the higher gin antennae).

The power requirements of the booster and modem are small so the unit will function for 5 hours before the batteries are at 50% . The batteries were only $35 so if discharging more a short life is not a big deal.
Do you know if the 5milewifi usb would work with any of the alfa modem type products? Basically I'm VERY hapy with the 5MileWIFI but want to have a router onboard for the ipad and phones.

My son is really getting into this and wants to start playing with making his own but having some issues on what he needs and doesn't need. ;-)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOnEverAfter View Post
Do you know if the 5milewifi usb would work with any of the alfa modem type products? Basically I'm VERY hapy with the 5MileWIFI but want to have a router onboard for the ipad and phones.

My son is really getting into this and wants to start playing with making his own but having some issues on what he needs and doesn't need. ;-)
I think it will work with all the Alfa products, although a firmware update will be needed for some. You are probably best to send to Alfa an email to double check the compatibility.

The Alfa R36 manual is here:

http://www.wifisolutionslynx.com/Man...%20MANUAL2.pdf
This lists the compatible 3G products (that can be plugged into the modem)

ALFA NETWORK Inc.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote