Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 21:39   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
WiFi Access

We're new on the forum this past week and it has been very enjoyable meeting some of the folks here. We've been in the states visiting my parents this past week and we're flying home to our boat in Ambergris Caye tomorrow night.

I sure hope this is in the right section of the forum.

We hardly ever get a slip at any of the places we go so our access to internet is always limited. We are not real "computer savvy" so we're not all that familiar with how to rig up an antenna (and whatever else would be needed) so we can get a wifi signal from shore that we might be able to connect to.

If any of the folks on the forum have experience with how to do this, or what equipment we need, we would sure appreciate some pointers and advice on how to rig it up. It is something we have never looked into because it has never been that important to us. But something we would probably like to have if it is possible to do. Even if we could get email, which is all we basically use internet for when we go ashore, it would be nice. So I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
Sjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 22:44   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: WiFi Access

Search wifi access in the bar of the CF. There are many past threads on this very issue.

Just one thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-19383.html

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 22:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjora View Post
We're new on the forum this past week and it has been very enjoyable meeting some of the folks here. We've been in the states visiting my parents this past week and we're flying home to our boat in Ambergris Caye tomorrow night.

I sure hope this is in the right section of the forum.

We hardly ever get a slip at any of the places we go so our access to internet is always limited. We are not real "computer savvy" so we're not all that familiar with how to rig up an antenna (and whatever else would be needed) so we can get a wifi signal from shore that we might be able to connect to.

If any of the folks on the forum have experience with how to do this, or what equipment we need, we would sure appreciate some pointers and advice on how to rig it up. It is something we have never looked into because it has never been that important to us. But something we would probably like to have if it is possible to do. Even if we could get email, which is all we basically use internet for when we go ashore, it would be nice. So I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

One thread I found informative
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rk-116354.html
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 23:49   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I have recommended Island Time PC owned by a former Cruiser to many people. Everyone that has bought a complete WiFi system from Bob, raves about him, his system and his company. Marine WiFi Systems

Tell Bob Stewart <rstewart"at"islandtimepc.com> that you are interested in a system like BeBe has.

Bill
BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25   #5

Thanks folks - that gives me some things to check out. We have lived on sort of a budget of about $1,800/month for close to 10 years. We live pretty good but we historically haven't spent money on a lot of extra "stuff". We're hoping it's not real expensive. But it's something we'd kind of like to have as we plan on living on our boat for another 4-5 years before we go back home and "settle down" (we'll see how that works and if we can even remain sane doing that). Repairs and maintenance on our boat has always taken priority over the "frills" like wifi
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Tell Bob Stewart <rstewart"at"islandtimepc.com> that you are interested in a system like BeBe has.
Bill - thank you very much for that information. That Bullet M2 is exactly what we're looking for - pretty much a "turn key" installation. It says it runs on 10.5-24 VDC. We have 24V system with Rolls batteries and our batteries absorb at 30.9V during charging so I will have to check to see if we need a power converter for it. I got Bob's phone number off his website so I can give him a call to find out about shipping to Ambergris Caye and how it will work, and if we need a power converter for when the batteries are charging from our solar panels.

I should've checked on this earlier this week because it could've probably been shipped to my parent's place in the states and take it with us today. But otherwise it is not near as expensive as I expected it to be. I was thinking it might be $1,500 or something.

Thanks much!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I've purchased a cell antennae and amplifier from Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV & DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories they sell Wilson as well as other brands...