Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 07:54   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
WiFi Channel 13 - Something New ?

We are at Karpaz Gate Marina in Northern Cyprus.

I had a problem with our main computer and its external USB WiFi adapter receiving the marina's WiFi signal. I had no problem with my Apple iTouch receiving the signal. I have been trying lots of things and finally opted to replace the WiFi adapter with a spare. My old USB WiFi adapter was bought in the US 5 or 6 years ago and the spare bought in the US about 1-2 years ago.

Magically, the new USB WiFi adapter found the marina's access point. I looked a little closer and determined that the marina's access point is using channel 13. This is a new channel and generally not used in the US because of low power restrictions placed on the channel. I assume my older WiFi adapter was not made to receive channel 13.

Now, here is my problem. For some strange reason Airmail will not send/receive with the new WiFi adapter. It tries unsuccessfully to connect to winlink and sailmail while at the same time every browser and every other program uses the Internet connection with no problems. Hmmm, if it is not one thing it is another. Ideas and complaints would be appreciated.

So, there you are folks...one more thing to think about. It is beer-thirty here in Cyprus, so that is it for the day.

Bill
BeBe, Amel 53
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Ch 13 is not new.

In N. America the legal channels are 1-11. In Europe the legal channels are 1-13. In Japan the legal channels are 1-14.

If your equipment was bought in the US there is a good chance it will only work on on 1-11 due to the law. There is equipment you can buy however that is capable of connecting to any channel from 1-14. If you buy a laptop in Europe it will work on 1-13, but a US laptop will most likely only work on 1-11.

As far as airmail, I don't know specifically but there is no reason the app won't work on any WiFi channel.
Old 14-09-2011, 02:06   #3

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: WiFi Channel 13 - Something New ?

It is my understanding that Europe uses channels 1–13 and USA, until recently, allowed only 1-11. I understand that recently the USA opened 802.11 operation in channels 12 and 13. However I understand that 12-13 are allowed but restricted by the FCC to low power.

Obviously this is the reason that my older USB WiFi adapter did not pick up the marina which is broadcasting on channel 13.

I know a little more about the Airmail challenge. Airmail is a telnet program which uses port 8772 for winlink and port 50001 for sailmail. I believe that the marina WiFi system has these and possibly other ports blocked. I was successful in connecting to an open channel 1 access point and was able to send/receive with this Internet connection and my new WiFi adapter.

It looks like port blocking on the part of the access point owner is the cause of the Airmail problem.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Bill
BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote