Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2021, 09:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: WIFI offshore part two

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
The good news: What you want is doable within reason.
The bad news: It's going to take a little work/skill to put it together.

Here's a description of one way to do it:

https://seabits.com/mikrotik-groove-...p-setup-guide/
n.b. I don't agree with Steve's characterization that the Mikrotik Groove is a booster.

Several companies make devices like the Groove. Wholybee names a few of them. I've only used the Groove.

Depending on how far the anchorage is from the wifi AP, you may have to use a directional antenna.

Good luck!
Indeed. This is the classical solution -- Ubiquiti Bullet, Mikrotik Groove.

The setup is a little different from what the OP has in mind, but I think this is worth considering.

OP: These devices are outdoor APs/Bridges, powered by POE. I've had one of each. You put the device on a spreader and run Ethernet to your nav table. There you add an Ethernet power injector to power the device, and plug the other end into any kind of wifi router. I was using one of those mobile phone data routers which take a SIM card, but can also distribute a connection obtained over Ethernet. That way I could use the same system for mobile phone network data as for marina wifi data. But any cheap home router will work. With a little hack you could even use your GoFree router, if you have one, but I don't do this because I don't want my boat network to have any connection to the internet to avoid the security risks.

The control interface (especially the Ubiquiti) is kind of kludgy but you get used to it.

A directional antenna would be cool but I don't know a simple or cheap way to aim it. I've had very good results with normal omni antennae.

This is a superior kind of wifi connection, and ought to do what the OP wants. The setup is not that expensive; the biggest hurdle is getting Ethernet down the mast, not feasible in all cases with the mast up. The boat network is created by the router inside, not the marina wifi system, so there will be no problem with Chromecast, etc.

I changed from Bullet to Groove because I wanted to use 5ghz wifi band, increasingly available in marinas, and vastly superior because of the huge amount of interference on the 2.4ghz bands. Despite the shorter inherent range.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 09:56   #17

There's a lot of good advice here re the tried and true wifi external antenna/radio, ethernet to a router/local wifi hotspot (with POE, or using a separate POE injector) and this is close to the ideal for wifi. You can sometimes get more gain with a directional antenna, but you have to be able to aim it, and if your boat is rocking or heeling, or moving around a mooring or anchor... SOL. And even then, how good is the wifi you're pointing at?

For cellular data reception, here's a comparison of Mifi and Pepwave. And I'm pretty sure the Pepwave can also connect to an available wifi hotspot by default, and flipping over to cell if the wifi craps out, to help manage data costs.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 10:07   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
There's a lot of good advice here re the tried and true wifi external antenna/radio, ethernet to a router/local wifi hotspot (with POE, or using a separate POE injector) and this is close to the ideal for wifi. You can sometimes get more gain with a directional antenna, but you have to be able to aim it, and if your boat is rocking or heeling, or moving around a mooring or anchor... SOL. And even then, how good is the wifi you're pointing at?

For cellular data reception, here's a comparison of Mifi and Pepwave. And I'm pretty sure the Pepwave can also connect to an available wifi hotspot by default, and flipping over to cell if the wifi craps out, to help manage data costs.

The Pepwave routers are cool, but much better suited for RV's than for boats in my opinion. They need to be in an enclosure, and they are connected to the anntennae (LTE needs two) by cables. At those frequences, attenuation in cables is huge, so you would be -- what -- pulling TWO fat LMR-400 cables down the mast? And still losing a bunch of signal?

I think for a boat you want an outdoor router which is reasonably slim which you can directly attach antennae to and which could live on your spreader.

I made provision for a setup like this when I rerigged my boat some years ago but I never implemented it, as it seemed just too much faff and expense to gain a few miles of range, compared to just hauling the phone of mifi device up to the masthead.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 10:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Pepwave routers are cool, but much better suited for RV's than for boats in my opinion. They need to be in an enclosure, and they are connected to the anntennae (LTE needs two) by cables. At those frequences, attenuation in cables is huge, so you would be -- what -- pulling TWO fat LMR-400 cables down the mast? And still losing a bunch of signal?
Good points. Where I've seen them on boats, they just used the short supplied cables to small external antennas on the cabintop (powerboat), and it was working well enough. It seems intuitive that higher locations for wifi and cell antennas are best, but I haven't yet seen this demonstrated - eg that the antenna/radio on the spreader or masthead worked markedly better than the same lower down, like on an arch.

Then there's Digital Yacht
Old 26-08-2021, 10:37   #20

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Value for money and ease of use, it is hard to go past the Alfa products at the rokland store, address already provided above. It is possible to get an already integrated package. eg. the camp Pro set with antenna and repeater/extender. Some packages may even include a separate router. You can also a better antenna and the repeater/extender separately, with 5G available on some models. I am running at my Alfa 5G at the moment, 390 MBps.
https://store.rokland.com/collection...-antenna-kit-1

What I don't understand is why you don't use the hotspot on your cellphone to connect a laptop, download the updates to your hard drive, and depending on the mfd etc, do the updates that way. I can do all the updates on my Raymarine system in an hour or two using the card reader in the mfd. If your phone connects to your system, as many do nowadays, it should be even easier.

Doing the cell phone tether was attempt two. ONE bar, drops out every 15 mins, 2 GB takes two hours to download.

My phone doesn't have an external antenna, and I have a limited data plan.

My arm got tired holding it up while standing on the cabin top.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 10:43   #21

Boat: O'Day 40

Island Time (island time pc.com) has a good system with GREAT backup. We've been using it for years. However you may find that the free wifi is so slow that it is useless for streaming.
At the marina we use Starlink and are hoping that next year we can use it cruising
Old 26-08-2021, 10:47   #22

Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I personally have about zero interest in streamed content (audio/video) on the boat. About my only Internet vice aboard (besides email) is web browsing and a certain forum. I wouldn't myself rely on onboard connections to download updates. I'd get them ashore. Maybe even a restaurant wifi would be good enough for that.
Old 26-08-2021, 11:47   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Let me preface my comments by saying I work virtually so I need reliable internet connectivity.

I have used both a Bear wifi extender and Redport Halo on my 37' sloop and both units performed as advertised. However, comparing the two is apples to oranges.

The Bear unit is intended for an application where there is a nearby wifi repeater, such as in a campground or marina, and it does do a nice job of pulling in what would otherwise be an unusably weak signal. The downside to the Bear is that although intended as an outdoor unit, while fairly robust, is not 100% weatherproof and I suspect the rain and humidity in Florida would render its lifespan shorter than the one I used here in the PNW.

The Redport Halo can be utilized exactly as the Bear unit with the added benefit that it can pull in a weak or distant wifi signal from a significant distance. Plus it has a fully marinized antenna/amplifier with an RJ45 plug, which connects to what Redport calls an optimizer-it's basically a wireless router-via network cable. I have captured workable bandwidth from line of sight wifi as far as 15 nautical miles away, and obstructed signals from as far away as 7 or 8 nautical miles. The optimizer plugs into a standard 15 amp outlet so you need an inverter to run it, but all in all it is a simple, easy to install system with an intuitive interface. You simply connect to the unit via wifi when powered up, type in the IP address of the optimizer to connect to desired network, enable the wireless router and disable the firewall. It also works with satellite but I have no need for that feature so I haven't explored it but I suspect it wouldn't be too complicated to set up based on my experience with the browser-based configuration setup.
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 11:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Redport Halo
Wave wifi
ubiquiti
There are others. What do you mean by USB WAN? Any wired networking would be done with Ethernet if you need it.

If by "captive portal" you mean those access points where you have to log into it, and sometimes pay a fee or enter a code before it works, then the bridge type would work better, but would still be a problem for your TV. That is by design. The owners/operators of those networks don't want them to be used for streaming movies to a TV. You could probably work around it by setting up your computer for internet sharing and have your TV connect to your computer.
All of those mentioned WIFI extenders have a USB cable from external antenna to (computer).

I don't want to use my computer as a WIFI router, I want to buy a WIFI router that will work.
Some of the WIFI extenders come with a router, or WIFI repeater, obviously the router included works with their system.

I may just have to buy one of the kits.
Old 26-08-2021, 11:57   #25

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

@Dockhead take a look at the Max-HD Domes - they solve both of those problems. Yes you need PoE and possibly a sim injector if you're very mobile, but the best approach I've seen for cellular to date.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 12:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
All of those mentioned WIFI extenders have a USB cable from external antenna to (computer).
Don't know about "Wave wifi", but I know from personal, hands-on experience that the Redport Halo, and most of the Ubiquiti products, including the Bullet and the Nano, have ethernet out (RJ45, PoE), not USB out. And they are meant to connect to a router, ideally one with wifi. In fact the Halo has to connect to their router (the Optimizer) in order to work. You can also connect the Ubiquiti units to a computer's ethernet in, but almost nobody does that, except for special configurations.

There are also some units that are USB (eg the cheaper Alfa units; I have one), but they're not suitable for permanent mounting.

So I don't know where you got the idea that you have to use your computer as the wifi hotspot with the above units.

The kits are a good way to go; the set-up hassle is minimal.
Old 26-08-2021, 12:43   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

I don't want to use my computer as a WIFI router, I want to buy a WIFI router that will work.
Some of the WIFI extenders come with a router, or WIFI repeater, obviously the router included works with their system.

Not a huge "extender" but the RadioLabs o2Air wireless antenna/router works on AC power if you've got some of that. (IOW, not USB from a computer.)

Connect router to AC power. Connect router to computer via Ethernet cable. Run the "Wizard" to set up router (connect to WiFi WAN, name and secure your own 2.4/5G LANs, etc.). No need to leave the Ethernet cable connected after that.

Don't know effective distances, but works for us in marinas.

Not a recommendation, just an observation. And other brands probably do the same thing...

-Chris
Old 26-08-2021, 15:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Redport Halo
Wave wifi
ubiquiti
There are others. What do you mean by USB WAN? Any wired networking would be done with Ethernet if you need it.

If by "captive portal" you mean those access points where you have to log into it, and sometimes pay a fee or enter a code before it works, then the bridge type would work better, but would still be a problem for your TV. That is by design. The owners/operators of those networks don't want them to be used for streaming movies to a TV. You could probably work around it by setting up your computer for internet sharing and have your TV connect to your computer.

Old 26-08-2021, 15:40   #29

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

Try this for $161 from Amazon
ALFA Network WiFi CampPro 2 Universal WiFi / Internet Range Extender Kit for Caravan/Motorhome, Boat, RV. It is a good start. If you need more range, ubiquiti has some great omni-directional and directional antenna routers.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 16:05   #30

Quote:

I'm telling you - they are ethernet out, not USB. Links please if you still say otherwise.

Tags
offshore, wifi