Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 16:57   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Wifi Rant

G'Day Charlie,

Noticed your mention of the Christopher Robin. Was that the one with Joel Zuckerman (Ophthalmologist and Physicist) on board? If so, do you have any idea where he is these days?

We hung out together in Mexico back in the late 80's and I'd love to find him again. Google concerns itself with a bloody golfer of the same name, and some lawyer, and a lot of non-sailors of the same name. So, despite the Power of the Internet, personal contact might be the only way!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 23-04-2011, 16:59   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Hmmm... yeah, forgot about the west coast. I've been here in FL and the Bahamas so far. Though I'm heading to the west coast next Fall - I'm a native Californian. I know the Channel Islands well, having visited them by se kayak.
I've heard that some places in Mexico are getting "Banda Acha" service - not wi-fi, but access to the internet none-the-ess.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 08:11   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Charlie,

Noticed your mention of the Christopher Robin. Was that the one with Joel Zuckerman (Ophthalmologist and Physicist) on board? If so, do you have any idea where he is these days?

We hung out together in Mexico back in the late 80's and I'd love to find him again. Google concerns itself with a bloody golfer of the same name, and some lawyer, and a lot of non-sailors of the same name. So, despite the Power of the Internet, personal contact might be the only way!

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim:
Yes it was the one with Joel on board. Last I heard of him was that he had divorced his wife and stayed in Thailand but that is it. I didn't really keep touch since I was not a boat owner but a crew. I caught up with Seahawk Brian and MA they are currently doing a Pacific circle. They are in the Phillipines headed for Japan and then back to WA. I can email them and see if they have any contact info for Joel.

I think that my original comment was mis interpreted. I am not against the internet. I'm not a Ludite. I just find it funny that people are in exotic places and will spend hours and $$$ looking for internet service. Then they will spend more time writing about it. I am more interested in the exotic place rather then the availability of the internet. It has been so nice to meet all of you here thru the internet. Rebel Hear I was listening to the radio the other day and there was a segment on PBS that talked about a High school senior who was getting into college by menas of a science project that she had conceived of and ran. She studied Texting. The conclusion was that texting was a stimulant. I imagine the internet is the same.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 08:15   #19

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Ummm whats a STAMP????
LOL..
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote