Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2022, 14:25   #1

Boat: Hylas 46
Wifi signal booster?

Hello Members....I've searched this site and come up blank! Maybe I'm searching wrong words? Link? ect....

I'm looking for a Wifi signal booster. i.e. I'm on the hook or in a marina....they have complementry Wifi....as long as I have the password, I'd like to bring the signal into the boat. Anyone using one? Which one? Results?

Thanks heaps!
Don & Gloria
Old 26-07-2022, 14:49   #2

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Wifi signal booster?

I used one for awhile. It was a fairly inexpensive one and just plugged into a USB port. Did significantly improve the range. Now I just use my cell phone as a hotspot. One problem today with wifi as you travel is that everything today is secured. If you just need a bit of range improvement to use your marina wifi, an inexpensive USB one is worth trying. Not sure it's worth the price for one of the long range fixed antenna systems.
Old 26-07-2022, 14:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

When you are tied up and your boats heading is relatively steady, try one with a parabolic dish.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 15:26   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Hello Members....I've searched this site and come up blank! Maybe I'm searching wrong words? Link? ect....

I'm looking for a Wifi signal booster. i.e. I'm on the hook or in a marina....they have complementry Wifi....as long as I have the password, I'd like to bring the signal into the boat. Anyone using one? Which one? Results?

Thanks heaps!
Don & Gloria
In a marina a directional antenna helps. We use a Bear Outdoor Extender.

The big problem with WiFi emanating for a marina are the sailboat masts in the marina itself. Sailboat masts cause WiFi signals to bounce around and the result are signals that come to you from different directions and at different times. This is known as multipath propagation. Using a directional antenna eliminates much of that. A Bear Outdoor Extender has a USB cable and plugs into your computer. You put the antenna on deck and point it to the marina's access point. There are similar products. You recognize them by their flat rectangular shape.

We also use the Bear Outdoor Extender at anchor but of course as your boat swings you have to change the direction that the antenna is pointing. We've had great success getting WiFi from shore even with that problem and even at quite long distances.
Old 26-07-2022, 16:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post

Thanks heaps!
Don & Gloria

This topic has been done quite extensively here on CF; a good search term is "wifi extender". Here's a more recent thred on this.
Old 26-07-2022, 16:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We've had an Alpha CampPro for threee years and have been very pleased with it. They have excellent customer support. Turns your whole boat into a hotspot.

Between Toronto and Bahamas we have never been more than 2-3 days without a free signal anchored within 1/2 mile of a McDonalds, a coffee shop, hotel etc.

https://store.rokland.com/products/a...409-tf-antenna
Old 27-07-2022, 13:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I used one for awhile. It was a fairly inexpensive one and just plugged into a USB port. Did significantly improve the range. Now I just use my cell phone as a hotspot. One problem today with wifi as you travel is that everything today is secured. If you just need a bit of range improvement to use your marina wifi, an inexpensive USB one is worth trying. Not sure it's worth the price for one of the long range fixed antenna systems.
Thanks...this is exactly what I am trying to figure out....I don't mind a tad more expense....if, it's rewarding.
Old 27-07-2022, 14:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
When you are tied up and your boats heading is relatively steady, try one with a parabolic dish.
OK...I think I have figured out the multi quote;
David....do you have a specific link regarding the paradbolic dish? Is this what you are using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
In a marina a directional antenna helps. We use a Bear Outdoor Extender.

The big problem with WiFi emanating for a marina are the sailboat masts in the marina itself. Sailboat masts cause WiFi signals to bounce around and the result are signals that come to you from different directions and at different times. This is known as multipath propagation. Using a directional antenna eliminates much of that. A Bear Outdoor Extender has a USB cable and plugs into your computer. You put the antenna on deck and point it to the marina's access point. There are similar products. You recognize them by their flat rectangular shape.

We also use the Bear Outdoor Extender at anchor but of course as your boat swings you have to change the direction that the antenna is pointing. We've had great success getting WiFi from shore even with that problem and even at quite long distances.
Hello Fred.....thanks for your lengthy reply! Fred, looks like we may have missed your wake, but was close. We managed the haha 2021 sailed to La Paz for a couple of months as we put the boat the rest of the way together. From there Mazatalan to PV. April 1st we headed North...stopping for a couple of days at La Paz so as to re-provision. We then worked our way... all way to San Filipe... we pulled Windswept at Penasco Mex. three weeks ago.

We are now in Ca.....building quite a pile of boat year....so as to re join "Windswept" and continue South, namely South Pacific and beyond.

I did pull up Bear.... I'm a tad concerned about that smaller SS conection betwen the directional head and mount. Is there a problem in that area? Do you have the unit permantly mounted outside?

Perfect example of it's use would be out in the anchorage....on the hook outside Marina La Paz! Again thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This topic has been done quite extensively here on CF; a good search term is "wifi extender". Here's a more recent thred on this.
Yes, I did find that thread....unfortunately (to me) not a heck of a lot of info there. I did PM Giro (thread starter)....asking him what he came up with. btw: I am also in the Monterey Bay area! I'm sure there is a beer in the cards here!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We've had an Alpha CampPro for threee years and have been very pleased with it. They have excellent customer support. Turns your whole boat into a hotspot.

Between Toronto and Bahamas we have never been more than 2-3 days without a free signal anchored within 1/2 mile of a McDonalds, a coffee shop, hotel etc.

https://store.rokland.com/products/a...409-tf-antenna
Thanks Boatpoker.....researching your suggestion. Thanks heaps!!
Old 27-07-2022, 20:04   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

The availability of inexpensive high-speed data via cellular networks has made WiFi extenders less of big deal than they were several years ago.

You could look at the Ubiquii Bullet M2 HP. I have not had one in my lab but they are said to be flexible, reliable, and cost effective. You can use your choice of antenna with them, either a plain stick (easy), a dish (must be aimed accurately), or a yagi (somewhere in between).

Tags
wifi