Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2022, 21:04   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Will my VHF with AIS talk to my plotter?

I have a Garmin Hybid Touch plotter. I bought a new Standard HorizonGX2400GPS with AIS.

Will the radio AIS have the ability to display on the chart plotter? Electronics are foreign to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0D80CE7-51D9-4EF4-B4FE-698C8D20DDAB.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	265071  
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 21:12   #2

Re: Will my VHF with AIS talk to my plotter?

I installed a Standard Horizon GX2400GPS in Journey On. That radio has a NMEA2000 output, which worked well with my Lowrance mfd. I suspect the Garmin has a NMEA port. All you need is a NMEA2000 starter kit. This will directly plug into both units (if the Garmin has the correct port.)

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 04:47   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

What garmin model do you have.
Old 28-09-2022, 06:05   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Maybe…..what is the Garmin plotter model number.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 07:23   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

That's a nice radio, I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, assuming you plug both into the NMEA 2000 network, the AIS targets will display on your Garmin plotter.

My problem is I also have an AIS transmitter, so my stupid Garmin 740s thinks I'm about to collide with myself. Not sure if all Garmins will do this. I know mine was declared obsolete and they stopped issuing firmware updates about five minutes after I walked out of the store with it, brand new. So if they ever fixed this, I wouldn't have it.

Clearly the radio knows my MMSI number, so it should recognize the "own ship" target, but apparently either it doesn't indicate that in the NMEA stream, or Garmin ignores it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 08:09   #6
Nearly an old salt

Will my VHF with AIS talk to my plotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That's a nice radio, I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, assuming you plug both into the NMEA 2000 network, the AIS targets will display on your Garmin plotter.

My problem is I also have an AIS transmitter, so my stupid Garmin 740s thinks I'm about to collide with myself. Not sure if all Garmins will do this. I know mine was declared obsolete and they stopped issuing firmware updates about five minutes after I walked out of the store with it, brand new. So if they ever fixed this, I wouldn't have it.

Clearly the radio knows my MMSI number, so it should recognize the "own ship" target, but apparently either it doesn't indicate that in the NMEA stream, or Garmin ignores it.

The problem is if you have a ais receiver separate from a ais transmitter

It’s not a chart plotter issue a receive only ais cannot receive your MMSI because it’s not being transmitted.

A transmit only ais must also have a receiver to be certified. Hence it knows it’s own MMSI and can filter that.

The issue is people with ais receivers who then add a seperate ais transceiver.

There should be only one ais onboard.

Your ais transmitter should also be a receiver. Hence it should filter out its own MMSI. Hence your chartplotter never sees your ship as an ais target.

It’s not the chartplotter fault.
Old 28-09-2022, 13:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
...It’s not the chartplotter fault.
I see your point. It's really the radio which should filter out the target with the same MMSI number as the one programmed into the radio.

For some reason I was under the impression there was an "own ship" indicator in the NMEA data for AIS, but I don't know where I got that from.

As for only one AIS receiver, I think that's a lot to ask, as more and more radios start including one.

Ideally I should be able to select a target on my plotter and initiate a VHF call to it. I think right now that can only happen if the radio and plotter are both from the same manufacturer. I keep hoping some sort of standard develops, but maybe I'm asking too much.

My workaround is to have a radio with an AIS receiver built in, so I can select and call a target from there. I'll probably just turn off the NMEA 2000 interface on it, but leave it connected in case my dedicated AIS ever fails.
Old 29-09-2022, 08:52   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Our SH radio didn’t filter out our own ship MMSI for data that was sent to the ONWA plotter, it only filters ownship for the radio display.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 09:00   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You can’t trust any vhf radio to do anything right on nmea2000. I was surprised that my B&G radio worked better than anything else I tried…. shame for the rest it was a sh|tty radio. My current SH is a drama, can’t even find devices on the bus, it’s a joke.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 16:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You can’t trust any vhf radio to do anything right on nmea2000. I was surprised that my B&G radio worked better than anything else I tried…. shame for the rest it was a sh|tty radio. My current SH is a drama, can’t even find devices on the bus, it’s a joke.
My B&G did the same thing; show own ship as an AIS target on the plotter. I agree it was otherwise not a very good radio. Just too many small annoyances.

That said, my new SH seems to play nicely on the N2K bus. I'll probably turn that off, due to the own ship issue, but it's nice to know it's there if I need to turn it back on. For functionality and ease of use, the SH is heads and shoulders above the B&G, and most other brands.
Old 29-09-2022, 19:40   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My B&G did the same thing; show own ship as an AIS target on the plotter. I agree it was otherwise not a very good radio. Just too many small annoyances.

That said, my new SH seems to play nicely on the N2K bus. I'll probably turn that off, due to the own ship issue, but it's nice to know it's there if I need to turn it back on. For functionality and ease of use, the SH is heads and shoulders above the B&G, and most other brands.
That’s because it is built by Yaesu, one of the best ham radio manufacturers. But their nmea has always been troublesome, even with 0183 they used single ended rs-232 ports instead of rs-422.

Old 05-10-2022, 16:16   #12

Boat: Ericson 27

I’ve got both a Vesper XB-8000 and an icom m502 w/ AIS on my n2k bus. After a little bit of fiddling, it all works quite well. I had to configure the m502 to ignore/block my own mmsi (for cpa/tcpa alarms) and configure my clients to only rx n2k from the Vesper.

Only reason the icom has the AIS is because my seller screwed up and sent that rather than just the n2k only version.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 18:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
I’ve got both a Vesper XB-8000 and an icom m502 w/ AIS on my n2k bus. After a little bit of fiddling, it all works quite well. I had to configure the m502 to ignore/block my own mmsi (for cpa/tcpa alarms) and configure my clients to only rx n2k from the Vesper.

Only reason the icom has the AIS is because my seller screwed up and sent that rather than just the n2k only version.
Can you disable the VHF sending AIS data on N2K or just disabling AIS itself in the Icom?

Old 05-10-2022, 19:00   #14

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Can you disable the VHF sending AIS data on N2K or just disabling AIS itself in the Icom?
As I recall, I told the icom to use the Vesper as its AIS source rather than its internal receiver. I suspect this had the side effect of disabling the internal receiver. Looking through my SignalK system (courtesy of Victron Venus Large ) All AIS contacts are reported from the N2K instance associated with my Vesper.

Edit: I'm actually a moron; I'm away from the boat so the VHF is powered off, so I wouldn't be able to tell right now. That said, when everything is powered up and working together, I've not noticed any issues with duplicate data on the bus.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 00:25   #15
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Standard Horizob for ever mate best VHF made by far. First thing I do in 7 boats was rip out a perfectly good radio and put in my favourite SH. My current one even survived the lightning strike when all around me blew up.

Best radios ever made.

My current is a G1850 , nmea 2000 works great DSC contacts appear on chartplotter and a call can be setup there too.

Ais is now a SOTDMA garmin B800 , works well no own boat issues.

The ais is supposed to filter out it’s own MMSI. Trouble is many receive only units don’t.

Tags
ais, vhf