Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 10:19   #1

Exclamation Wind Direction Froze. Problem with wind data

Our wind direction shows the same way all the time. The main screen doesn't even show the wind speed.

I updated all the softwares. But it's still a mess. We use a B&G Zeus Touch with NWEA 2000

Can someone help me please? There's no B&G technical service in Kaş / Turkey or anyone who can fix this
Sailing_Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 19:42   #2

Re: Wind Direction Froze. Problem with wind data

What brand/model of wind sensor do you have installed ?

On your Zeus chartplotter goto Settings->Network->Device List.

You should see your wind sensor listed there.

If it is not, then you need to check your NMEA 2000 cabling. If you have a B&G wired wind sensor (eg. 508, 608, 310 ) its cable should be connected to the backbone end of a T-piece, not to the drop cable connection, as the B&G Wired wind sensors form part of the NMEA 2000 backbone and include their own NMEA 2000 Terminating Resistor. There should be one (and only one) other Terminating Resistor located at the other end of the NMEA 2000 backbone. You should also check that all of the cabling and T-pieces are OK.

If you measure the resistance between the NET-L & NET-H wires (Blue & White), it should measure 60 ohms (each Terminating Resistor is 120 ohms). If not then you have either faulty Terminating Resistors, none or too many installed.

If you measure the voltage across the NET-C & NET-S (Black & Red) you should see approximately 12 volts. If not, then check the NMEA 2000 Power connection.

If you have cabling problems, these must be rectified.

if your wind sensor is listed in the Device List, then goto Settings-Network->Sources->Apparent Wind, it should show which wind sensor is configured as the input device. If not, select the correct one.

Once it is selected, you can either view the wind speed & direction from one of the chartplotter data pages, or goto Settings->Network->Device List->Your Wind Sensor->Data

If it is selected but no wind data is being displayed, then goto Settings->System->About and generate a report and then goto Settings->Network->Diagnostics and save the CAN log. Then open a support request with B&G.

If no data is being sent by the wind sensor, then perhaps it is faulty, in which case you will need to contact B&G or a B&G dealer and organise for repair or replacement.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-02-18_03.47.01.png
Views:	37
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	253129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-02-18_03.35.37.png
Views:	27
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	253130  

Name:	Screenshot_2022-02-18_03.51.47.png
Views:	29
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	253131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-02-18_04.09.36.png
Views:	35
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	253132  

Name:	Screenshot_2022-02-18_04.10.29.png
Views:	34
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	253133   Click image for larger version

Name:	t-piece.png
Views:	28
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	253134  

stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 22:44   #3

Re: Wind Direction Froze. Problem with wind data

Hi,

Thank you for an amazingly useful reply.

After the auto select for sources of all connections and doing recalibrating couple times, right now the only remaining issue is that wind direction is wrong. It moves some on the starboard side but it never goes to the port side even when i do a 360 turn

I have a simnet hub. I think that means i don't have a T connector. I've checked all the connections there. Unplugged and plugged them all but didn't fix the problem.

I have a wind sensor 508

I don't think there's something wrong with the cable lengths because the wind direction was working very well for so long until the last few days it just stopped working. We stayed on the anchor for about 2 months and went through some very close lightning. I'm thinking that a non-direct lightning messed up something there.

There's data coming into the system.

I'm planning on going up to the mast today to take some pictures and videos and check the cables there. Plus B&G keeps saying that they need the sticker barcode/serial number of the sensor. Not the serial number that shows in the device list
Sailing_Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind