Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 16:05   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Wind Instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodleoo View Post
Not to argue, their website "The T033 Wind system is the ideal solution for cruising yachts 35ft or under". I'm happy it works for you, they did not recommend it for my boat. For a 26 footer it ought to be fine.
That's one of many Tack Tick products. Their standard system works fine on much larger boats. Mine is on top of a 50' mast and is very happy.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 10:11   #17

Boat: Landfall 42 (1979)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodleoo View Post
Might want to look at the Nexus wireless wind system also. The starter pack contains speed/depth in addition to the wireless wind option. If you have amast much over 35' you will find that the tick tack system is not recommended. Nexus told me that the transmit range for their system was 400'. With a 67' mast I bought one.
Hi,
I also have a Nexus wireless wind instrument. I'm finding that the signal from mast-top to the WSI box is unrelaible. Have you had the problem? If so, have you solved it? Any assistance much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Reunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 15:35   #18

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Dave, ours just arrived. I'll let you know. It will take a couple of weeks for us to get it installed.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 15:40   #19

I went with the Tacktic 108 System. Installed in about $10 minutes and working great for 3 weeks.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 16:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Dave, ours just arrived. I'll let you know. It will take a couple of weeks for us to get it installed.
I'd appreciate hearing from you once you have it installed.
Thanks. dpelly@sympatico.ca
Old 20-09-2011, 16:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post

I'd also appreciate info on your supplier. Where did you buy it? And do you have contact for the distributor in the US?

I'm in Canada, and the Canadian distributor has stopped handling Nexus.

Thanks
Old 20-09-2011, 18:12   #22

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Comnav was selling the products on E-bay and shipping from CA even though they are a Canadian Company. I won't be installing my unit until the spring so I can't comment on signal strength issues. My one inquiry to the factory about the transmit distance was ansered quickly and professionally.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 14:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reunion View Post
I'd also appreciate info on your supplier. Where did you buy it? And do you have contact for the distributor in the US?

I'm in Canada, and the Canadian distributor has stopped handling Nexus.

Thanks
Funny. I bought mine from a Canada company in Vancouver, I think.

I'll update folks when I have them installed.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:14   #24

Just an update on our Nexus install.

Everything works GREAT. I will note one more time that with the wireless at the masthead (WAY up on our boat), the orientation of the receiver/computer is VERY critical. By rotating it and reading the output on the display, we were able to go from a signal strength of 15-18 to 27-29! 15 is kind of minimal, and 30 is best. Try all different orientations. The manual says one thing, but we found that pointing it directly up the mast worked best.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I have the tack tick a top of a 52' mast and it does fine. At first I was having problems until I found out that cell phone towers/signals interfere with the signal. So while in port I just accept that it may not work. Out on the water it's never failed.
Old 09-01-2012, 15:34   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

I hate integrated displays. I like to see water depth separate and the speed and wind I do not care much about them - one look at the windex tells me all I need to know about the wind while the speed I read from the gps first.

But when there are space limitations such a unit can be great. They are also great as repeaters down below.

TickTack vel TackTick now Raymarine and cheaper.

BTW If you are into one to do them all them look up the newest color thing from Ray - it does all the tricks except for the chart. (I think it is series i70). Cream.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 16:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I hate integrated displays. I like to see water depth separate and the speed and wind I do not care much about them - one look at the windex tells me all I need to know about the wind while the speed I read from the gps first.

But when there are space limitations such a unit can be great. They are also great as repeaters down below.

TickTack vel TackTick now Raymarine and cheaper.

BTW If you are into one to do them all them look up the newest color thing from Ray - it does all the tricks except for the chart. (I think it is series i70). Cream.

b.
With the Nexus system, the depth is on 1 display, the wind on another. I also don't need to know anything about the wind I can't get from the Windex or telltails - but I LIKE to have the windspeed AND the Admiral likes the wind angles.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16   #28

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I'm surprised there aren't any comments about sore necks. I find that my neck used to feel it whenever I went out for the day and had to rely on the Windex. I still like the Windex for simplicity, but my neck appreciates instruments.

I have separate instruments at the helm, but would like to add a multi repeater by the bunk.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I'm surprised there aren't any comments about sore necks. I find that my neck used to feel it whenever I went out for the day and had to rely on the Windex. I still like the Windex for simplicity, but my neck appreciates instruments.

I have separate instruments at the helm, but would like to add a multi repeater by the bunk.
I'll second that!!! I already have a plate and 4 screws in my neck.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:59   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post

+2 Last year red-tailed hawk dropped my Windex to the deck a piece at a time to make a better roost. My neck doesn't miss it much.