Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 17:48   #1

Wind instruments monitor snapping to zero when reading relative wind direction.

Head fly points to apparent wind. Monitor displays where it is coming over boat but then snaps to zero and stays there for a while and then starts working again. Anyone experienced this and know what is malfunctioning? I checked loose wiring to the unit and it appeared fine. Haven't checked mast head.
AndyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 18:32   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Wind instruments monitor snapping to zero when reading relative wind direction.

Well, perhaps you sould get up the mast and do that! As an experiment, try disconnecting the cable from the masthead at the instrument end and see if the symptoms are the same. If so, a loose or corroded connection at the other end of that cable is a likely cause.

Jim
Old 30-07-2017, 19:28   #3

Re: Wind instruments monitor snapping to zero when reading relative wind direction.

Good suggestion to test before going up. There is a reason I haven't been up mast. Last time I went up it scared the bejesus out of me. Any suggestions there to make it more comfortable and safe?
AndyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 19:40   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBerry View Post
Good suggestion to test before going up. There is a reason I haven't been up mast. Last time I went up it scared the bejesus out of me. Any suggestions there to make it more comfortable and safe?
Other than getting someone else to do it, I'd suggest looking at the many lengthy threads on this subject. There are even some going on now, and there are in them references back to earlier ones. It is a popular discussion, driven mostly by folks who climb big rocks and things (crazy folks IMO!), but they have many suggestions for safety and comfort in mast ascension.

FWIW, I too have an issue with heights,but over the years of yacht ownership and the resultant needs to go aloft, my fears have pretty much vanished, and I'm quite comfy aloft... at least when at rest. Don't think I'll ever get complacent about doing it at sea!

Good luck with your efforts.

Jim
Old 31-07-2017, 08:42   #5

thow it all away and get a spar fly
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:11   #6

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

what brand of instruments? reason I ask is am having a similar experience with newly installed Garmin GNX pack....instruments read out data for 10-15 minutes after being powered up, then all went to dash lines...discovered Garmin sent the wrong "box" which was incompatible...new box installed and all appeared fine until yesterday...after 2 hrs, instruments readout went to all dashes again, wind, depth the lot of um...powered both units down and turned back on w/o relief...went below and turned off instruments at circuit breaker...repowered all from breaker and they worked again??? yard is going out this week to diagnose...dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:45   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450
Wind instruments monitor snapping to zero when reading relative wind direction.

Had a similar issue with our Raymarine where we lost TWS, TWD, TWA. Found that the wind transducer electrical contacts were slightly corroded, oxidised and a good cleaning and added electrical cleaning spray saved the day. I was initially able to test the voltages at the ITC5 (junction box) for faults.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 15:02   #8

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
what brand of instruments? reason I ask is am having a similar experience with newly installed Garmin GNX pack....instruments read out data for 10-15 minutes after being powered up, then all went to dash lines...discovered Garmin sent the wrong "box" which was incompatible...new box installed and all appeared fine until yesterday...after 2 hrs, instruments readout went to all dashes again, wind, depth the lot of um...powered both units down and turned back on w/o relief...went below and turned off instruments at circuit breaker...repowered all from breaker and they worked again??? yard is going out this week to diagnose...dave
Had a similar issue with the forerunner of that (NEXUS), except it went bad between viewing the boat and taking delivery. Eventually I removed it all and sent it to be bench tested, but unable to get the unit to receive. In the end, junked-it all after several techs all advised it was impossible to get spares. Garmin have reportedly destroyed what was a good brand with minor changes and non-compatibility
Not much help with the OP question though!
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, monitor, rum, wind