Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 12:54   #1

Boat: 1974 Irwin 32
Windex Wind Vane on Antenna, can it move up for more clearance?

I have yet to climb up the mast - trying to prepare for an efficient visit.

Attached a drone shot of my mast head. The anchor light needs replacing and I believe I have an exact replacement but in LED. I also need to install my new Maretron WSO200 (wired ultrasonic solid-state wind vane) as the terminator of a NMEA 2000 10m + 2m cable.

Something I didn't think about with this solid-state device is that I won't have the typical visual backup if the electronics are out - so I want to keep that visual wind vane too - I think it's a "Windex" mounted on my vhf antenna? The WSO200 is taller than the anchor light and the wind vane might clip it. Can the Windex wind vane typically slide up the vhf antenna further, if given a (plastic) spacer?

With limited mounting space, I'm thinking I should mount the WSO200 where the anchor night now is and figure out a way to mount a different light-weight LED anchor night on it's top. One of the alternative LED anchor light options I have is fairly short and very light weight.

Side note - why didn't Maretron add an integrated anchor light??

Also - anyone know if the inside of the WSO200 cap is completely hollow? Are it's acoustics so sensitive that mounting something with a hole or adhesive would impact performance? What about anchor-light power wires routed behind one of the three ultrasonic support pillars? I'd rather route them inside the WSO200 because I'm pretty sure it's mostly hollow, but the plastic seems to be fused pretty well shut despite having case screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0232.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	292253  
mrmrsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, wind, wind vane