Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 23:04   #46

Re: Windows 10 installed without my permission

Not to overly bore with my cred but was importing Apple II+ clones from Taiwan in late 70s, used IBM PCs when they came out, had first Unix sysadmin job in 1987, etc. Saw Microsoft go from not much to behemoth in a short time. I developed a dislike for their products early on and my opinion hasn't changed. Ditto with Apple but for different reasons. I have made a ton of money because of Microsoft's buggering of their customers. I run a Linux shop here but have to be fluent in Windows because my clients all run that crap.

I learned a long time ago not to try to convert Windows users to Linux. I use Linux (not Ubuntu), it works for me, the software I use runs great, no malware problems and for those times when I absolutely, positively have to run Windows, I run it in a VirtualBox virtual machine. I have copies of 7, 8.1 and 10 in separate VMs. I don't expect ordinary computer users to have my experience or skills; I expect them to use the tool to do their job and do other things for a hobby. Just when you think Microsoft is turning the page, they revert back to their old self. Then I make some more money.

As a tech guru, I am offended by them. As a businessman, I love them.

============
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 00:35   #47

Boat: Fantasia 35

Check-out the never10.exe utility. It is a simple way to turn on and off the install of Windows-10. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 03:44   #48

After having used Windows from the release 3.0, for over 20 years (where it run just like a graphic interface, under the operating system MS DOS 6.0) , I've never been so happy since I went to Linux distributions two years ago.

Regards
Old 31-05-2016, 04:09   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Boo hoo. If you do not know how to fix, go to nearest computer repair guy and have him fix it for $50 or so. I understand the feeling of violation but the fix is easy.
Thanks !!! This is by far the most helpful comment so far!
It was just a mad moment and a warning for others
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 04:59   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Check-out the never10.exe utility. It is a simple way to turn on and off the install of Windows-10. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
This is an excellent recommendation, I have been using various GRC apps for years.

I had no idea he already solved the Windows 10 update problem, thanks for posting this.
Eoghan_Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:37   #51

Boat: a sailing boat

I think MS could easily make it the other way round: by asking every user if they want the change. But why should MS act contrary to skills and habitss of 99.9% of their consumers?

I have used both 10 and 8.1 I can't see what problem there is. They look the same, feel the same and act the same.

One can still buy a 8.1 license and set this up on their machine if number 10 has some magic meaning for them.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 10:41   #52

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

This issue that I see, as posted before is that Microsoft intentionally misleads us by installing the update, despite the fact that our actions indicate we have chosen NOT to do so.

The standard for any software app on Windows is for the X at the top right of the the panel to mean close, abandon or cancel. Can you think of any other application that acts the way Microsoft has implemented this ... to mean yes, go ahead?

You can be sure Microsoft is not doing this for our benefit. It remains to be seen why there is so much pressure to get us onto W10, and Microsoft's plan to gouge our wallets seems the most likely to me.

While W10 may be an improvement over W7, the licence is no longer shareable between a PC and laptop, nor is it transferable to new hardware (it belongs to that hardware), so if you get a new PC you also need a new OS.
Old 31-05-2016, 10:53   #53

Boat: Cascade 29
Send a message via Skype™ to windwalkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
You do not "own" the os, you merely lease its use. Look at your 68 page agreement. So suck it up.
Reed1v you beat me too it! There are two main reasons why Microsoft is forcing Windows 10 on everybody. #1 It reduces the amount of OS's they have to support and #2 When the OS switches to a "Subscription based" OS, everyone will ready.
windwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:05   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

Linux is SURE the way to go. Hell of a choice. I am about to convert my bike to square wheels too !!!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:33   #55

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Of course Microsoft attempting to force a change of browser is unacceptable. However, if they do it you can simply google one of the many ways to reverse the process. It should not be a big deal.
I'm also surprised by how many confuse a browser such as windows 10 with the operating system. Changing or just rebooting your operating system is a big deal. It will destroy all of your files. It is pretty much impossible for a non expert to switch your OS. Windows XP and Vista are two examples of OS. Your browser is just a program and is easy to install or uninstall. Windows 7,8.1,10; chrome. and fire fox are browsers.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:36   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
This issue that I see, as posted before is that Microsoft intentionally misleads us by installing the update, despite the fact that our actions indicate we have chosen NOT to do so.

The standard for any software app on Windows is for the X at the top right of the the panel to mean close, abandon or cancel. Can you think of any other application that acts the way Microsoft has implemented this ... to mean yes, go ahead?

You can be sure Microsoft is not doing this for our benefit. It remains to be seen why there is so much pressure to get us onto W10, and Microsoft's plan to gouge our wallets seems the most likely to me.

While W10 may be an improvement over W7, the licence is no longer shareable between a PC and laptop, nor is it transferable to new hardware (it belongs to that hardware), so if you get a new PC you also need a new OS.
Great points!

My major issue with w10 is that OS no longer means Operating System, it means Operating Service. That seemingly minor change makes all the difference to me.

A service can be changed or discontinued without the users consent (as this scummy update practice illustrates).

Also, why do they need my metadata? Only one reason I can think of: They plan to sell their users habits to the highest bidder.

Nothing is free, if you arnt paying for a product, you are the product.
Eoghan_Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
That link says this:

Never10 does NOT prevent the installation of Windows updates, including
the infamous Get Windows 10 (GWX) update KB3035583. Never10 simply
employs Microsoft's documented and sanctioned configuration settings to
instruct it NOT to change the installed version of Windows.

If one goes back to my reply #18 on page 2, you will find that both the KB3035583 AND the other named file in that reply need to be stopped.

I simply disable auto updates and check them once a month.

I'm running W7 home premium.

Not so hard and you don't need to download any more crap.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 15:13   #58

Stu,

Please carefully read the rest of the never10 linked page. If you do, you will see that never10 does warn about finding the GWX update installed. It allows you to remove that update and install a Microsoft update that allows you to turn-off all future automatic updates.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 31-05-2016, 15:18   #59

Just found this thread on Slashdot forum that details what the techies think about updating to Windows 10. It will take a while to read through the posts.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/0...ws-10#comments
Old 31-05-2016, 16:23   #60

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have a friend who seems to be a magnet for every form of computer abuse. Some folks just get dragged into every mess. He recently got a smart phone and gets so much spam from all over the world that voice contact is the only way to communicate with him.
Both Apple and MS have automated most things that used to be difficult for most users but both are still too complex for many users to maintain. The best solution for folks who don't want to study and learn is total adoption of Android or Ios. Get a large tablet with a keyboard addon and a decent phone. For basic tasks up to watching movies and sharing pix or navigating or communicating its flawless.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind