Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 21:49   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Windows 8

I'm looking at new laptop computers for my boat and with windows 8 on everything now I'm wondering if my old software will run on it.

Has anyone had any experience with Windows 8 running marine software like...Nimble Navigator, Open CPN, Iridium connection applications, etc?
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 22:53   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
I'm looking at new laptop computers for my boat and with windows 8 on everything now I'm wondering if my old software will run on it.

Has anyone had any experience with Windows 8 running marine software like...Nimble Navigator, Open CPN, Iridium connection applications, etc?
Oh my....

Do you have that working on Windows 7 now? You can run Windows 7 on an Apple laptop. Maybe you can install it on those Windows 8 laptops too?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 23:15   #3

Re: Windows 8

Yes I've got it all running on a 32 bit windows 7 laptop now.

Pretty much all new laptops I've looked at are 64 bit windows 8 and I'd rather stay with that than buy a new laptop and load an old operating system....unless I really have to
Old 22-04-2013, 23:24   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
Yes I've got it all running on a 32 bit windows 7 laptop now.

Pretty much all new laptops I've looked at are 64 bit windows 8 and I'd rather stay with that than buy a new laptop and load an old operating system....unless I really have to
I run 64 bit Windows 7 on my Mac and believe that outperforms Windows 8. Is there something in Windows 8 that you need or want? Most buyers I know pay to get it changed back to Windows 7 because they can't stand Win8.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 02:57   #5
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

The guts of windows 8 is supposedly faster than win 7 as the 64 bit win 8 does multi threading better...so they say.

Microsoft has acknowledged that the next big update release 8.1 will allow users to turn off the metro screen, lock screen and all the other nonsense and boot straight to the normal desktop screen. They have also stated they may bring back the home button as well.

I have Win8 on a machine I use and have downloaded some software that kills these screens, you used to be able to make registry entries to change this but MS changed that, and I find the OS works fine and not measurably slower, or faster, than win7

edit: here is a link for an article discussing microsoft backing down

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-wind...op-7000014075/

edit pt 2: here is a link to the free software that lets you skip all the metro nonsense and have the normal desktop

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/...ip_metro_suite

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 04:05   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Windows 8 is NOT getting any good reviews by the techies. (Possibility of a major face-lift/restructure soon. Microsoft is disappointed, in its sales of 8.) I prefer Windows 7. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:22   #7

Boat: Riviera 33'

I run a laptop with Windows 8 64bit. I also run OpenCPN with no problems (don't have the other software you're referring to).

In general operation you won't see any speed boost over Win7, but I get a cold boot from switch-on to desktop in about 20 seconds.

For all the negativity surrounding Win8, the actual functionality for someone who uses the desktop most of the time is virtually identical to Win7. Instead of a pop-up menu in the bottom left corner, you have a big menu the size of the screen (metro interface). You can still pin programs to your taskbar. Typically, I never go anywhere near the metro interface during a session and its not like I have had to make any compromises.

The best thing about Win8 with skydrive is the synchronisation between your devices..Windows Phone, Laptop, tablet, PC etc...all can share the same settings so if you logged onto the wifi on your tablet, your Laptop already knows the password to log on. And with skydrive all your documents/music/videos are available, up to date on all your devices without having to think about it.

Windows 8 (like Win7) also has compatibility mode, which allows you to run older software. You right click the program file and tell to pretend its running on Windows XP or whatever and the system will run it, usually, no problem.

Also for marine uses, there is the Microsoft Surface Pro - a full Win8 PC in a tablet form-factor with detachable keyboard. You can operate it like a laptop or a tablet, which makes it very versatile. Shove it in a waterproof plastic wallet and keep it in the cockpit! (Although you would need external GPS). I think Samsung makes a similar device (Ativ) with onboard GPS. (Note, don't get the Windows RT version - that is a cut-down version of Windows that only runs apps from the store, it doesn't run normal windows program...but they have better battery life than full windows version so you could use Remote Desktop and wifi onboard to control your laptop...)

So yeah, I don't work for Microsoft or anything, just a keen user of their latest software and devices that have really, really improved in terms of features but are somehow less known than the apple or android ecosystems.
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:07   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Everything worked the same....EXCEPT it would not find the USB/serial connection to my Sat phone. Tried everything, getting the newest drivers, etc. but no good. Finally on the suggestion of the USA/Serial port connector company suggested deleting all the drivers, even the ones from previous editions of windows and then reinstalling all of them.
That worked!
Since I went on a Microsoft Win 8 forum with the question originally I still get notices of comments to that thread and it seems it is a common problem. But the forum now has the instructions for what worked for me.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 23:34   #9

Good to know....thanks!