Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 09:22   #1

Would you want to waterproof your iPad, Kindle, etc.?

Hi,

I have a friend who repairs cell phones. He has a machine that can waterproof cell phones, iPads and other electronic devices. Here is a video explaining how a competitor's version works:

Now that Apple is coming out with waterproof phones, he is losing some business with his waterproofing. I suggested to him that us boaters might like to have waterproof iPads so we don't have to deal with all the big clunky cases.

I was wondering what everyone on this forum thinks? He said he could waterproof an iPad for about $40 which is almost half what the competitor in the video would do it for.

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated. This would not allow you to Scuba Dive with your iPad, but it would definitely protect it in case it got wet while sailing or it went overboard in shallow water. Of course it would need something to still help it float if it was in deep water.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Windsurfer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Would you want to waterproof your iPad, Kindle, etc.?

I'd do it, in a New York minute, be interested to know though if immersed in salt water, should it then be immersed in fresh and the salt flushed out?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:05   #3

Re: Would you want to waterproof your iPad, Kindle, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd do it, in a New York minute, be interested to know though if immersed in salt water, should it then be immersed in fresh and the salt flushed out?
That's a good question. Let me ask him and get back to you. Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 12:19   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I asked the company that offered this type of service (internal coating of some sort) a couple of years ago, and they could not (would not) guarantee that the process wouldn't break my smartphone. Because any type of coating (conformal, vapor deposition, pixie dust) on computer and rf circuits can de-tune them and cause them to fail. Leaving you with hundreds of dollars in a paperweight. Since they couldn't guarantee it would do not harm, I passed. The new "water resistant" phones and tablets (note, NOT waterproof, that's an "FTC gonna come slap" issue) shouldn't affect the coating business. They are not internally coated, they just have water-resistant seals. And as any Rolex authorized repair shop can tell you, water resistant seals and plugs and gaskets only last for so long. Even Rolex only warranties them for one year. Dunk them in the pool after that...and the seals may be leaking anyway. So an infernal machine applying internal waterproofing (which would be hard to do if the seals WERE new and working!) would be a good idea in any case. There are very few devices coming on the market with water-resistance, compared to what's already out there. No warranty? No sale, not here.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:29   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Well, since the Liquipel product works by coating the internals of a phone (and as the rep said, the more holes the better their product works), it fundamentally won't work on waterproof phones, which have seals to keep water from entering the phone case.

I suspect that if you have your phone treated with a product like Liquipel and drop it in salt water, you're going to want to flush it out pretty well. Having salt crystals inside your phone will keep it from ever really drying out and I'm pretty sure you'd get a short at the very least or corrosion down the road.

Me? I'll stick with a waterproof case for my iPad. My phone has just a slim Otterbox case on it without the screen film. I might consider the process for it, but I would not treat the phone any less carefully than I do now.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 13:26   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer89 View Post
Hi,

I have a friend who repairs cell phones. He has a machine that can waterproof cell phones, iPads and other electronic devices. Here is a video explaining how a competitor's version works:

Now that Apple is coming out with waterproof phones, he is losing some business with his waterproofing. I suggested to him that us boaters might like to have waterproof iPads so we don't have to deal with all the big clunky cases.

I was wondering what everyone on this forum thinks? He said he could waterproof an iPad for about $40 which is almost half what the competitor in the video would do it for.

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated. This would not allow you to Scuba Dive with your iPad, but it would definitely protect it in case it got wet while sailing or it went overboard in shallow water. Of course it would need something to still help it float if it was in deep water.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Guarantee?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53   #7

All good points brought up. I will be talking to my friend this week to see what he thinks and what kind of guarantee he can offer. I don't know much about it. I just had a casual conversation with him. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Windsurfer.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58   #9

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

The other issue to look at is if it invalidates the warranty from Apple.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:03   #10

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I like Otter boxes for this, not only co they seal up your appliance, but they also add buoyancy so they don't sink.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

This would be great. At present l use a LifeProof case (with supplentmentry battery in the case of my iPhone). The big issue has been the constant opening of the case charging port. After a while, my cases ceased closing correctly as well as the seal itself showing signs of failing. This is an area of concern to ensure longevity.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Ziplok bags are so cheap...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28   #13

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The other day I demonstrated my agility and fell into the salt water canal w/ my iPhone in my pocket.

After I swam to the ladder and climbed out, letting the tide take my pride away, I examined my phone. It appeared fully dry inside the Lifeproof case.

The iPhone was removed from the Lifeproof case and there was no water intrusion.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Ziplok bags are so cheap...
I would consider that approach to be weather resistant but not waterproof.

I went swimming last week with a credit card and some folding money in a zip-lock bag. Result was some soggy dollars.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:31   #15

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

sony xperia z4 pad is already waterproof. they advertise it submerged in fish tanks. also will take up to a 200mg sd card. why get an apple when a better machine is already available?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, water