Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 19:11   #76

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Wristwatches suitable for sailing, celestial navigation, anc scuba diving

If I wear a watch it’s my time expedition....
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 22:36   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I read up on lunars and understand that with the very best possible technique and equipment, under the most favorable conditions, an experienced navigator can shoot lunars with an accuracy of +/- one minute. While interesting, I'd rather have a good wristwatch.

Actually, it's possible to determine the time to within about 7 seconds using lunars. (Or even better if you're lucky.) I've been closer than 7 seconds multiple times. However, those lunars were shot from my yard, not from the pitching and rolling deck of a boat. It's probably more realistic to expect an average error of around 30 seconds.

But, what does that mean in terms of celestial navigation? Well, an error in time of 4 seconds is equal to an error in longitude of 1 minute. That means that even if you are off by 30 seconds of time, your longitude will be off by 7.5 NM*. That's good enough to get you within sight of land, where you can switch to coastal navigation techniques and is certainly good enough for the open ocean.

Don't get me wrong, though: I have a passion for precise watches. I currently wear a Bulova Precisionist which has a very constant rate of +0.2 seconds per day. Also, celestial navigation is a great way to pass the time and good for cross checking GPS and other forms of navigation. But, as has been said many times over at NavList (welcome, by the way), the best backup for a GPS is another GPS - or two or three.

*...at the Equator - even less at higher latitudes.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 02:56   #78

Boat: Maitland Cat

Rolex submariner - its a chronometer- its water ‘proof’ and they are virtually indestructible
Ive worn mine everyday for 30years in all sorts of ocean conditions above and below the surface
They keep excellent time and dont need batteries
They are expensive but you only buy one
You can also get them second hand from Bobs watches or other resellers at a reasonable price
PILOT P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 03:35   #79

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILOT P View Post
Rolex submariner - its a chronometer- its water ‘proof’ and they are virtually indestructible
Ive worn mine everyday for 30years in all sorts of ocean conditions above and below the surface
They keep excellent time and dont need batteries
They are expensive but you only buy one
You can also get them second hand from Bobs watches or other resellers at a reasonable price
You only buy one. At a massively inflated price. You only need to spend a fortune to get it serviced every few years. You can never be confident if it is telling the time accurately. Which is what this thread is all about.

Accuracy relates largely to Hertz. Frequency per second. A mechanical watch is 4 or 5. A quartz watch is generally 32,768. So probably a greater difference between your jewellery Rolex and a grandfather clock.

There are many articles on the subject. This is one: https://quillandpad.com/2016/09/03/m...ncy-movements/

The article I liked best explaining it all was a brave one on the Financial Times watch supplement a few years ago exploding the cant about Swiss watches.

I did a case once about a Rolex and had cause to work backwards to how little the thing cost ex works. There was over 100% mark up at every one of the turns in the chain.

So by all means carry on enjoying the jewellery but for the time perhaps look at the clock on your chart plotter?
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 03:48   #80

Boat: Sharifa Cheoy Lee Off shore 41 Ketch

I have a Casio “GULF Master" Solar Powered G-Shock - The Benefits.

It has dual time, and usual watch functions, stop watch, alarm, count down time, lap timer etc

1 No battery to worry about so never runs out I have had for 6 years
2 Precise time, every time, every day. Takes world wide radio time checks at least twice a day. Ideal for celestial Navigation
3 Depth limit 100 meters [300+ feet]
4 Shows barometric tendency
5 Shows Tide Cycle & Moon phases
6 Indicates Direction
7 Altemeter

heres the link:https://www.gshock.com/watches/master-of-g/gwn1000b-1b
Cheoy Lee 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 05:50   #81

Boat: Maitland Cat

And their are those that want one and can’t afford it!
Ive been a ships captain and marine pilot for a large period of my life so precision navigation based on precision time is paramount
He in lies the lesson - if its got batteries it will fail
PILOT P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 14:00   #82

Boat: Kirie Feeling 36 Sports.

Check out the Rip Curl range surf and tide.
DaddaTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 14:09   #83

Boat: Hallberg Rassy, 31' sloop, ATHESA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Casio G-Shock. Daily "atomic" updates.

-Chris
Cassio G. Solar charging; Radio Controlled, compass; pressure. Price under$100. Have had it for three years. No glitch.
Recommend.,
Sindbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 16:56   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Change comes slowly to the tech diving community.

Generally, the tech diving community is moving to rebreathers, which pose their own peculiar problems for integration with dive computers.

There are a handful of tech divers who embrace air-integrated computers in some way, for example, for bottom gas and maybe a stage, but not for deco.

The prevailing theory of SPG failure in tech diving is that if you have a failure of any SPG (AI or not), you turn the dive, and how much gas you have left no longer matters because it will not affect your decision making.

Today’s news story about divers discovering a new species of fish, but not seeing the six gill shark. Screen shot is of a Shearwater Predator which can connect to a rebreather, you’ll see the reading of the three O2 cells, depth, mix, ceiling next stop bottom time etc.
I was going to a RB myself but didn’t cause if you research them, there are actually quite a large number of unexplained deaths or extremely experienced, very professional divers.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	178218
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 17:00   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Wristwatches suitable for sailing, celestial navigation, anc scuba diving

Same news article. They are on a RB, looks like a Meg. However with a RB you still have to carry all the required bailout bases, in this case three. A bottom gas, travel gas and deco.
The other two bottles on his back are of course RB gas, O2 and his dilutant gas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	178219
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, Cuba, diving, navigation, sail, sailing, scuba