Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 18:01   #31

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: You High-Tech Folks... how engrossed are you in your devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Im not a tech guy but I do love this smartphone tablet app age we are in when it comes to cruising. It keeps me connected, provides a degree of accuracy that was unheard of not so far back.
I'm currently getting a kick out of my new inreach with earthmate app as well as my vesper marine xb8000 that is blue tooth connected to my smartphone.
Sitting having coffee this morning at airlie beach using navionics on my phone to measure the distance to Port Douglas is also something I appreciate.
Communicating with friends in Thailand, Seychelles and Switzerland via whats app while sipping coffee is just cool, not to mention the cruisersforum entertainment :-)
I want to get more tech savy, it adds to my life.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I agree, communicating so readily with others around the world has added to life and more than compensates for the things lost.
Old 12-04-2017, 18:06   #32

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Although I am fast approaching my seventh decade I've always been an early adopter of technology.
I remember showing off my first electronic calculator to all my jealous friends. It had a tiny red display and could do all four mathematical operations....
HA! Technology is definitely one place we can 'show our age' when we fess up to certain benchmarks we were privy to!
For instance, I remember going to work at a military base with my Dad one evening. We walked into a very large building with no windows... chill air... structures the size of large soda machines.. these were the computers.
Reels of tape spinning, card readers sucking up cards from large decks... shooting them across the face of the machine, then stacking them back into large decks at the end.
He sat me down at the card punch machine, showed me some things to type, how to load them up into the reader, then watch the green figures show up on the computer monitor screen... "Welcome to Red Rock Arsenal"... THAT scared the heck out of me when I saw that! Thought I was going to get into big trouble!
Many many years later realized I had been on Arapanet!
NOT that I'm old or anything! I'm only 56!
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 19:18   #33

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Just the other day, my wife's smartphone updated. It started asking for a passcode. Needless to say, she couldn't use that nice shiny gadget again. Well, not before wiping it down to a factory restore point. So much for the photos of the family, memories made, etc....
It's amazing, how fast a digital person can be erased. And how willingly one will be to allow erasure, so they can repeat the same paradox.! [emoji848]
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 20:11   #34

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Just the other day, my wife's smartphone updated. It started asking for a passcode. Needless to say, she couldn't use that nice shiny gadget again. Well, not before wiping it down to a factory restore point. So much for the photos of the family, memories made, etc....
It's amazing, how fast a digital person can be erased. And how willingly one will be to allow erasure, so they can repeat the same paradox.! [emoji848]
There are 10 types of data in the world:

<1> That which is backed up </1> AND
<0> That which is lost </0>
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 22:19   #35

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Yes, how true. What makes it worse, is the software used to create and store the back up, can not be opened by the, "New, Leased, Software." [emoji848][emoji35]
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:27   #36

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Am still impressed with the utility of GPS on my boat, but routinely plot route/way points on accompanying paper chart. Still appreciate the "big picture" that paper provides, albeit finding storage space can be a challenge. chartplotter, vhf, am/fm/mp3, AP, knot/depth/wind spd & direction are current electronics. I'm of the Viet Nam war era so app's are still something I order before the entre...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:29   #37

Boat: Liberty 458

I work in tech. Outside of work I mostly ignore it. I have plenty of fabrication, maintenenance and sailing to keep me occupied.

My parents used to call the television the idiot box. The box remains it's just gotten much smaller.

I do use tech and I exploit it for my benefit. It's just another tool in the toolbox.

Without it you're a luddite. Without it work would be tedious. If you're addicted to it you're just an addict.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I work in tech. Outside of work I mostly ignore it.
Ditto. I'm in software. After 50-60 hrs a week, the last thing I want to do is anything technical. I certainly don't want to stare at a screen anymore. My head starts to spin from analyzing logs on a screen all day. I certainly don't want to look at a smaller screen while craning my neck.

I met a guy decades ago while I was hiking. He was a product tester for LL Bean. He said he hikes, camps and fishes Monday through Friday. I said "What a dream job". His reply "Ya well, by the time the weekend comes I'm not really in the mood to hike, fish or camp. All that's left is yard work and chores. Be careful what you wish for". Now I completely understand.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:54   #39

"... my new inreach with earthmate..."

Man - that's KINKY :-)!!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:04   #40

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
...I met a guy decades ago while I was hiking. He was a product tester for LL Bean. He said he hikes, camps and fishes Monday through Friday. I said "What a dream job". His reply "Ya well, by the time the weekend comes I'm not really in the mood to hike, fish or camp. All that's left is yard work and chores. Be careful what you wish for". Now I completely understand.
My girlfriend works out in the field, at times hiking/climbing up hillsides, mountains walking R.O.W.s for PG&E.. all year long... sunny or rainy weather...
me..."Hey Sweetheart! How about we go walking that cool trail this weekend?"
her... "Can we just rent a movie and sit on the couch instead?"
So this makes me wonder... those who deliver boats as a profession... do they sail on their own time as well?
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote