Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 15:04   #241

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Fyi Robin. We had a brand new west marine dinghy and a brand new suzuki motor. Motor works great. Dinghy came apart at seams. Eff. West marine. We bought a new caribe for half what we would have paid in t&c

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Glad you are sorted re dink, but in our case our new 18 months ago West Hypalon RIB replaced a 10ft Caribe we inherited with the boat that deflated in a few hours, we gave it to a local boat cleaner hobo who thought he could renovate and sell it, but we now hear he put it in the trash as he couldn't seal it to hold air either..

West Marine returns and replacement policy is fairly legendary, did you try taking it back? They are all made in China anyway, probably even in the same factory,
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07   #242

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'

Don't bring more than 3 firearms to the Bahamas though or else they will place any of them (your choice) in excess of 3 in a locked safe for your retrevial upon return.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rwells36 is offline   Reply
Old 11-05-2015, 04:33   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rwells.

GordMay is online now   Reply
Old 11-05-2015, 06:47   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I'm amazed he's even thinking about heading for Mexico with that sort of arsenal... :-)
And yet our own gub'mint sold hundreds of high power weapons to the Mexican Cartels so they could 'track them'.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39   #245

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=146018

Bringing guns into Mexico, (just left embassy)

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply
Old 13-05-2015, 15:25   #246

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Anyone who suggest not declaring your firearms is obviously not responsible gun owners to begin with, or has never owned a gun legally to begin with. Owning firearm is a big responsibility, and it is the duty of anyone no matter where you live or plan on going to know the laws and stay on the right side of them.
This op is not for the people who will hide their guns or any of that non sense. It is for the people who will stay on the right side of the law, and be RESPONSIBLE with their firearms. Obviously there are countries that require more paperwork to be filled out, maybe even getting permits prior to ever arriving. But we plan on declaring everywhere we go. And if the customs tells us prior to arrival that we will be breaking the law if we bring them and we CANT get a permit sorted out before we arrive, then we will not be visiting those places. Period.

So many people live by the horror stories and not by the actual facts.

I guess repeating horror stories gives them something to pass the time......

Oh yeah we have a 85 pound German Shepherd with us too.

"OH MY GOODNESS! WHY WOULD YOU BRING YOUR DOG!!!! Too much hassle" Blah blah

Let the furious typing begin...

i love the dog along for the trip. I do have a questions for you if you dont mind, Where or how did you train the dog to use a box/ sand bucket or something for a bathroom??
I really need to know this please
Terry
Harter is offline   Reply
Old 16-05-2015, 04:35   #247

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harter View Post
i love the dog along for the trip. I do have a questions for you if you dont mind, Where or how did you train the dog to use a box/ sand bucket or something for a bathroom??
I really need to know this please
Terry
I'm just put some astro turf on the bow of the boat and told.her tango potty. She got it in about two-days.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply
Old 02-08-2015, 17:48   #248

2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Interested in the long term results of this topic.

My stance; I believe in gun ownership. However, it seems like one hell of a hassle to have them on your boat.

Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 14:32   #249

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

What about black powder guns? Many countries do not regulate them, or have fewer requirements for ownership. Would having say, a black powder revolver on board and declaring it be easier than a cartridge firearm?

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 15:12   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

What about black powder guns? Many countries do not regulate them, or have fewer requirements for ownership. Would having say, a black powder revolver on board and declaring it be easier than a cartridge firearm?

Gil.
I think you would be get a quick lesson on the use of old fashion leg irons if you tried to declare black powder. You would not be allowed to enter port and would be boarded pretty quickly and arrested as an assumed terrorist and then your boat would be stripped plank by plank whilst they searched for your powder stash even though you only had a little pocket pouch. They would take no chance what soever that you weren't trying to be the next Guy Fawkes
paulanthony is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 15:30   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
Interested in the long term results of this topic.

My stance; I believe in gun ownership. However, it seems like one hell of a hassle to have them on your boat.

No more of a hassle than performing regular shipboard maintenance and provisioning duties, and remembering to brush your teeth. Humans have an uncanny ability to exert great effort towards personal needs and desires, even when exhausted.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 16:56   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No more of a hassle than performing regular shipboard maintenance and provisioning duties, and remembering to brush your teeth. Humans have an uncanny ability to exert great effort towards personal needs and desires, even when exhausted.

Risking the loss of guns or even jail is quite a different proposition than boat maintenance or personal grooming. Seems like you'd have to avoid quite a few destinations or take a big risk.

Old 13-08-2015, 17:16   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
Risking the loss of guns or even jail is quite a different proposition than boat maintenance or personal grooming. Seems like you'd have to avoid quite a few destinations or take a big risk.

To some, yes. To others, not so much of a concern. Compared with crossing oceans in a relatively small sailing yacht, or walking alone at night through South Central Los Angeles, I personally consider the risk, and the hassle, to be not so great. That aside, and only speaking for myself, I determine location avoidance based upon an area's history of kidnapping, murder, and general lawlessness. What's more, who wants to visit those locales anyway, armed or not?
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 17:33   #254

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but here's my understanding of Bahamian Gun Law: It's illegal to have a gun in the Bahamas without a permit. However, a gun is considered equipment on a boat, so as long as it stays on the boat and you declare it - you're OK with any gun in the Bahamas.

I've been going to the Bahamas for roughly 40 years and the biggest change is the Haitian Illegal Immigrants. They are a different culture from the Bahamians. The Bahamians are good old Honest Country Folk, at least in the out Islands. The Haitians are more desperate and steal everything they can get their hands on. Some of them go beyond that.

This is why I carry in the Bahamas today. 20, 30, 40 years ago there was no need to carry a weapon in the Bahamas. If you study murders in the Bahamas, there are none that I know of involving boaters. All of the murders there are committed in the drug areas of Nassau.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 17:34   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
To some, yes. To others, not so much of a concern. Compared with crossing oceans in a relatively small sailing yacht, or walking alone at night through South Central Los Angeles, I personally consider the risk, and the hassle, to be not so great. That aside, and only speaking for myself, I determine location avoidance based upon an area's history of kidnapping, murder, and general lawlessness. What's more, who wants to visit those locales anyway, armed or not?

The difference being, sailing your yacht or walking alone in south central are not ILLEGAL. Hence a very different risk...

Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas