Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 15:47   #286
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Spoken like a true liberal! Rely on someone else to take care of you. Pretend there is no danger to justify no self defense.

Spoken like a true conservative! Scared of everything that moves, including his own shadow.:-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 17:24   #287

IMHO, most anti gun folks attribute the bedlam that are cities like Chicago, LA, Baltimore etc.. to gun ownership. That couldn't be further from the truth. Legal gun owners aren't the people gunning folks down on street corners or drivebys. More people are murdered in the U.S. with weapons OTHER than firearms.

Sure, I can understand how people outside the U.S. may find our 2nd Amendment bizarre or unnecessary. On the flip side, we find hereditary dictatorships bizarre. The fact is, our 2nd Amendment doesn't exist so people can hunt and target shoot. It exists to prevent tyranny. No need for me to digress into a history lesson.

I'm sure there are plenty of Americans cruising foreign waters with guns aboard their vessels. They're not out there gunning innocent islanders down in the Caribbean.

My personal situation is this; I'd prefer to be armed. But I also don't want to end up in some Third world dungeon of a jail because I brought a pistola on my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 17:48   #288

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post

My personal situation is this; I'd prefer to be armed. But I also don't want to end up in some Third world dungeon of a jail because I brought a pistola on my boat.
Ditto. It's a simple risk-benefit analysis, just like other safety gear you decide to carry or not carry onboard.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 17:55   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
IMHO, most anti gun folks attribute the bedlam that are cities like Chicago, LA, Baltimore etc.. to gun ownership. That couldn't be further from the truth. Legal gun owners aren't the people gunning folks down on street corners or drivebys.
Bingo! You got that right. Lived in LA, and have seen it first hand.

Quote:
The fact is, our 2nd Amendment doesn't exist so people can hunt and target shoot. It exists to prevent tyranny. No need for me to digress into a history lesson.
No history lesson needed for responsible gun owners who truly understand the right to bear arms, and have owned firearms their whole life. Hunting? That's a fun way to put venison on the table in November, for all the kids to enjoy!

Quote:
A coin toss for you, maybe?

This topic is usually heated, with staunch defenders on both sides of the debate. Although it's been discussed here ad nauseam, my wife and I would rather be armed and alive, than beaten, chopped, raped, and dead. It's that simple. When you're alive, you can deal with whatever repercussions float down the river. When you're dead, you're dead.

Two clips of prevention is worth a lifetime of tears.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 19:01   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

A coin toss for you, maybe?

This topic is usually heated, with staunch defenders on both sides of the debate. Although it's been discussed here ad nauseam, my wife and I would rather be armed and alive, than beaten, chopped, raped, and dead. It's that simple. When you're alive, you can deal with whatever repercussions float down the river. When you're dead, you're dead.

Two clips of prevention is worth a lifetime of tears.

This is where we part ways. I'm with you, but I also have consider the legal repercussions. I can't easily dismiss the thought of my bride sitting in a foreign prison without serious thought. Hence my interest in the OPs navigation and investigation into the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 20:01   #291

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Then I think you, absolutely, positively, should not have any weapons on your boat.

There is nothing more personal than personal decisions about self defense and I respect anyone who differs with me as long as they don't try and impose their opinions on me. I promise to do the same.

But, I'm reminded of the first time I flew on an airliner after 9-11. It was about a week after the hijackings. Before that, the flight attendants had acted like they barely tolerated letting us on board their planes with our guns (because they were sure, of course, that nothing bad like that could ever happen, and if it did they would handle it). That day, I thought they were all going to kiss me when they found out I was on their flight. So, a lot of the time, I guess someone's opinion can be somewhat fluid, depending on recent circumstances.
Actually it frightens me to think that someone on my flight could start letting bullets fly willy nilly at 35,000 feet, perhaps because a passenger with two beers too many starts getting mouthy., but each to their own opinions.
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 18-08-2015, 04:46   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Actually it frightens me to think that someone on my flight could start letting bullets fly willy nilly at 35,000 feet, perhaps because a passenger with two beers too many starts getting mouthy., but each to their own opinions.
Yeah, that happens a lot on airliners. They report those incidents over on Noonsite, too.
Old 18-08-2015, 04:59   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Ditto. It's a simple risk-benefit analysis, just like other safety gear you decide to carry or not carry onboard.
That's exactly what it is for the people who can take their emotions out of it (but, not everybody can do that).

Take this question:

If you have a swimming pool and a firearm at your home, which one is 100 times more likely than the other to cause the death of a child at your home?

Ask any person who is afraid of guns, and they will say, "Of course, it's the gun." When the truth is, it's the swimming pool.

That's what happens when you use emotions to answer questions, and to make decisions.

And, here is an article on that very phenomena.
What’s Riskier: A gun or a swimming pool? | SmartParentsBlog.com
Old 18-08-2015, 08:15   #294

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

This thread is wandering into personal attacks and is way off topic from the opening posting.

As such, it is closed.

CF has a group for gun owners:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners

Any further discussion should be carried out there. Remember, all of our rules apply there also, so keep it nice.

Regards,
avb3

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas