Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 04:00   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
I feel that the right of any creature, man or otherwise, has a natural, or if you are religious, 'God given' right to defend its self. That right is higher than and trumps any man made law. Period.
As I said, you are the type of person who should never own a gun. Guns are not to be feared, it is people like you who are scary. You give gun ownership a bad name. Your fellow gun owners would do well to ensure you never own one, and certainly never leave your scared little world.

Out of respect for the OP I will sign off now. I am sorry for adding to the drift.
Old 23-03-2015, 06:01   #92
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't care if cruisers have guns anymore than I care whether the guy in the house next to me has one; as long as they follow the rules. If the rules wherever you are allow a gun and you follow them why should it be a problem to me/you?

The problem with these threads is that people don't really want to talk about following rules, they want to argue/fight about whether you should or shouldn't have a gun to start with. Which is a different debate and has nothing to do with cruising at all and the acceptance of having one is already determined by the laws of wherever you are.
Old 23-03-2015, 06:32   #93

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly
"As I said, you are the type of person who should never own a gun. Guns are not to be feared, it is people like you who are scary. You give gun ownership a bad name. Your fellow gun owners would do well to ensure you never own one, and certainly never leave your scared little world."
Mike I for one am interested in the OPs experience traveling with firearms. Discussions like these will help me chose which countries we visit and which we will bypass based on the laws that would prohibit my having a firearm on board. I also realize that there are wonderful places that we will miss because of this issue but that is a choice that I get to make and the consequences of missed opportunities to visit those countries are on my shoulders. I don't understand how you can intellectually make the jump that sailor-sniper is unstable fearful and dangerous therefore undeserving of owning a means of self protection simply by what he has posted here. I haven't read where he has advocated shooting anyone as a first response but only in a life or death situation. The way you make it sound he's just waiting to hurt someone. For me to make that kind of judgement/statement I need to meet the man face to face in order to get the big picture of who he is. I also believe that your right to dictate the actions and possessions of others stops at the end of your property line or in the case of cruising the edge of your deck. In another countries jurisdiction I agree we follow their rules period. I am well aware the majority of the areas visited by cruisers are safe with just some basic precautions that said however with all the chaos in the world I think it's naive to think there is no place for a weapon on board an any situation.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 07:05   #94

Boat: 1977 Cheoy Lee 61' pilot house trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Sounds good. As long as you are down with "You reap what you sow."

To the OP, I am curious why one feels the need for a gun cruising if one has a German Shepherd. Logistically I think a dog on deck trumps a gun in a gun locker any day.
Never bring a dog to a gunfight
A paraphrase, but you get the point. If the deterrent (dog) does not work.
napadiver is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 08:26   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Quote: Mike OReilly "As I said, you are the type of person who should never own a gun. Guns are not to be feared, it is people like you who are scary. You give gun ownership a bad name. Your fellow gun owners would do well to ensure you never own one, and certainly never leave your scared little world."

Mike I for one am interested in the OPs experience traveling with firearms. Discussions like these will help me chose which countries we visit and which we will bypass based on the laws that would prohibit my having a firearm on board. I also realize that there are wonderful places that we will miss because of this issue but that is a choice that I get to make and the consequences of missed opportunities to visit those countries are on my shoulders. I don't understand how you can intellectually make the jump that sailor-sniper is unstable fearful and dangerous therefore undeserving of owning a means of self protection simply by what he has posted here. I haven't read where he has advocated shooting anyone as a first response but only in a life or death situation. The way you make it sound he's just waiting to hurt someone. For me to make that kind of judgement/statement I need to meet the man face to face in order to get the big picture of who he is. I also believe that your right to dictate the actions and possessions of others stops at the end of your property line or in the case of cruising the edge of your deck. In another countries jurisdiction I agree we follow their rules period. I am well aware the majority of the areas visited by cruisers are safe with just some basic precautions that said however with all the chaos in the world I think it's naive to think there is no place for a weapon on board an any situation.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thank you. You are correct. I have no desire to hurt anyone, ever. A fire arm is a last resort, but it is a resort. I sincerely hope and pray that I will never have to use one other than for fun.I dont see bogeymen behind every bush, but Ive been in this world long enough to know they are out there and tey are looking for victims.

I realize my idea of Claymores on the mast was probably silly, but it was just a thought of how one might protect oneself. Im not an owner, yet, but I like to give long and deep thought to any significant adventure. One thing that occurred to me was being trapped inside the boat with armed men on the deck. I think that does deserve respectful thought, because though remote, it is a possibility.

Apologies to the OP, but Im a shooting enthusiast and when folks start to make shooting itsel, or me because I enjoy it,f out as bad, it is irking.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 09:38   #96

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
NO, Mike, some of us just like to shoot and have been trained to do so. Its not fear, its caution/precaution, because there are those out there who have less than pure motive.

If your afraid of firearms, then by all means, avoid them. But dont be so arrogant as to condemn those who do not share your fear.
I would like to add to this excellent point. I've experienced an armed robbery, at the hands of a career criminal, when I was unarmed. Fortunately I made it through that experience. Now I understand first hand the need to be armed, to protect my young daughter and wife. It's not an issue of cowardly fear, it's an issue of being prepared to take care of yourself and your loved ones.

It's kind of like an EPIRB. Do you carry one because of fear or because you choose to be ready for a life threatening situation.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 10:09   #97

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Someone posted that you have to have a license to have a gun in the Bahamas. That's true, but there's an exception for boaters:

FIREARMS

Bahamian law permits firearms on your vessel as part of your ship’s equipment. They must remain aboard in a secure compartment. In the event of your being boarded by Customs or the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, the information on your cruising permit will be checked carefully against your actual supply. Ammunition must match the number on the cruising permit. In case of an emergency departure by air, you must leave your firearm(s) with local Bahamian Police or Customs. It will be returned when you present your receipt.

This should clear up why customs officials allow guns on board.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 12:51   #98

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

What scares me is this talk of long range guns for self defense for cruising Bahamas.and Caribbean. You planning on shooting first and asking questions later? Thats going to work great when its law enforcement or an unarmed fisherman related to the mayor...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 13:22   #99
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Unfortunately the site requires I be polite even though you dont deserve it. If you dont like the topic why dont you just avoid it. No body is forcing you to open this thread. It seems to me that YOU are the troublemaker, sticking your nose in where it is not wanted and stirring up crap. But you wont do that because you ARE a frightened little man, and this is your way of feeling brave. So how about you just stay away. OK?

Before you go, Ill answer something for you and others.

I feel that the right of any creature, man or otherwise, has a natural, or if you are religious, 'God given' right to defend its self. That right is higher than and trumps any man made law. Period.

As far as:

"If your only answer to this is a gun, then you are a danger to everyone around you."

thats not so at all, its just a figment of your frightened little mind. I consider a using a firearm an absolute last step, one to be taken with trepidation, but a step that may need to be taken and when it is, there is rarely a cop or Coast Guard cutter with in 100 yds to bail you out. So if it comes down to my life or someone elses, Im going do do all I can to insure its theres.

I wonder if you would be a frightened little man without your gun? And maybe possessing a gun is the only way you feel brave.
smj is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 15:13   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
What scares me is this talk of long range guns for self defense for cruising Bahamas.and Caribbean. You planning on shooting first and asking questions later? Thats going to work great when its law enforcement or an unarmed fisherman related to the mayor...

You're scared because you do not understand self defense. You also don't understand "long range" rifles and scopes. Being a deer hunter since 14, please allow me to explain. You, obviously, would never know this, yet it's quite amazing what you can see through a Weaver scope attached atop a 30.06.

What's nice about it is that I can CLEARLY see the faces of the nice gents that just tried to rob me and my wife as they return from 2-300 yards out with their guns for a SECOND TRY. The second try is what brings out the 30.06.

I can also use the Weaver scope to just recon my surroundings in my efforts to stay safe. It's all logically very good. And safe.

That's the way guns work. Don't be scared.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 15:18   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I wonder if you would be a frightened little man without your gun? And maybe possessing a gun is the only way you feel brave.
No offense, yet that statement is uncalled for. Ridiculous.

How are you going to feel when a swarm of machete & gun-toting yahoos are banging on your hatchways topside while you sit below at anchor in a remote cove unarmed? Brave? Safe? Frightened? What are you going to do? Yell at them? Let your dog bark?

Think about it before typing again.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 16:20   #102

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No offense, yet that statement is uncalled for. Ridiculous.

How are you going to feel when a swarm of machete & gun-toting yahoos are banging on your hatchways topside while you sit below at anchor in a remote cove unarmed? Brave? Safe? Frightened? What are you going to do? Yell at them? Let your dog bark?

Think about it before typing again.
Whereas you would ask them to move 2-300yds away to get a clear shot??

Actually I would have avoided that cove in the first instance most likely or found one even more remote, unpopulated by scum..

I do believe you have yet to set off voyaging so maybe are fighting off your own imaginary night monsters as yet. There is nowhere on my bucket list that would have that kind of danger and yet be considered 'unmissable' I like lions, tigers and even 'gators but wouldn't be stupid enough to stick my head in the mouth of one, even whilst holding a gun .
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 17:00   #103

Quote:
You're scared because you do not understand self defense. You also don't understand "long range" rifles and scopes. Being a deer hunter since 14, please allow me to explain. You, obviously, would never know this, yet it's quite amazing what you can see through a Weaver scope attached atop a 30.06.

What's nice about it is that I can CLEARLY see the faces of the nice gents that just tried to rob me and my wife as they return from 2-300 yards out with their guns for a SECOND TRY. The second try is what brings out the 30.06.

I can also use the Weaver scope to just recon my surroundings in my efforts to stay safe. It's all logically very good. And safe.

If you spend a bit more for something like a Night Force scope you can make shots well past 2-300 mtrs, and they even have special reticles so you dont have to dial, just up or down on the reticle, much faster when seconds count. Id rather keep it as far away as possible.

You will be amazed at the difference. I cant imagine what the night sky would look like out where its actually still dark.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 17:28   #104

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:

Allow me to introduce myself, i have hunted since 5, I have spent the last 5 years hunting archery only as any idiot can shoot a gun. My wife has served as a Guide hunting on our private "farm" i am also very well versed in self defense and tactical defense as well as tactical offense \ assault, and if you were approached by gun wielding bandits in broad daylight then you got off lucky.
Also scarey is someone like yourself who admits to using a scope vs binoculars to "survey " their surroundings which any professional hunter would never do. So again enjoy your long range weapon, I know if I were dinghying towards a boat or sitting on mine and saw some (insert favorite choice of word here ) pointing his gun with a scope or w out towards us because he likes to survey his surroundings I would most likely move and then radio authorities or have sone very choice words with you over the radio But hey what do I know, you've hunted since 14.....😴

Oh yeah and try pointing your gun towards some foreign policia because you see armed men driving towards you not in a boat with blue and red lights and a huge decal on side and then let us know how that works.
Enjoy your tv,,,,

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 17:45   #105
Eternal Member

Quote:
Well, maybe while sitting in a deer stand, 10 feet above terra firma... But from the deck of a sailing yacht, in 10 foot seas in the Mona Passage?

...please allow me to explain. You, obviously, would never know this, yet it's quite amazing what you can see through a pair of image-stabilized Nikons, while aboard a small boat out in The Real World...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas