Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2014, 21:50   #16

Re: A Deaf Sailor Singlehanding A Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Sailor View Post

If that were an option, I would've sought out a hearing person to crew with, and this question wouldn't have been posted.

Why is that not an option?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 22:05   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jackdale,

Aside from the known legality issues, maybe you could tell these guys who need substitute eyes for when they're sleeping and a way to waken, where the most heavily ship laden areas are.

Sailorchic, I'm not agreeing that there is minimal ship danger, because for a singlehander, after being at sea for "x" days one has to arrive somewhere, and it is that about 50 n. mi. interface between the singlehander and the entry port that will contain the most traffic. One of our singlehanded friends used to heave to well offshore, for extra rest before starting the awakeness marathon of landfall. However, I do agree it is true that one may go for days without seeing any shipping, once clear of the most trafficked routes.

Ann
Old 17-08-2014, 22:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
jackdale,

Aside from the known legality issues, maybe you could tell these guys who need substitute eyes for when they're sleeping and a way to waken, where the most heavily ship laden areas are.
AMVER density plots are pretty good for that

http://www.amver.com/images/density/2012August.png

I posted one for August 2012. The larger issue for me that time was sailing through the big eye tuna fishing fleet.

In about a week I headed from Tortola to Colon. I will probably use a 2 watch system with 2 people on watch at all times.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 22:12   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
jackdale,

Sailorchic, I'm not agreeing that there is minimal ship danger, because for a singlehander, after being at sea for "x" days one has to arrive somewhere, and it is that about 50 n. mi. interface between the singlehander and the entry port that will contain the most traffic. One of our singlehanded friends used to heave to well offshore, for extra rest before starting the awakeness marathon of landfall. However, I do agree it is true that one may go for days without seeing any shipping, once clear of the most trafficked routes.

Ann

I do agree that the near land areas are where the single hander will need their wits about them to avoid playing bumper boats. No question there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 22:35   #20

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'm thinking strobe lights and an alarm pitched to the range you hear best. I'm mostly deaf in one ear and 50% ish in the other ear.

Really a ship collision outside shipping lanes is a very low probability. It's just not a biggy as things go.

Probably goes with the territory for an engineer yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 22:35   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
There are heavily trafficked routes, but no shipping lanes.

AMVER density plot plot for August 2012. I use this in a presentation on AMVER rescues.
A most impressive graphic. Each blue/cyan line represent 4 or fewer boats per month. It looks busy, but it really isn't. The yellow and red lines are the main shipping corridors. See the little yellow line along the west coast... There it is.

Looking at the current Marine AIS there is a steady stream of ships along a single course about 300 miles off baja, heading to or from the canal on the GC route..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS current.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	86753  
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 22:38   #22

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Sailor View Post
Good stuff, thank you! Have you used any of the items on that website?

I do wake up when my Sonic Bomb super shaker alarm goes off. I should also add that when I am not in REM sleep, I do notice the dogs.
I was going to suggest heading to a truck stop and picking up some Screaming Meanies, the ones with the strobe light option on them and having them rewired to your alarms. Set at the loudest level of 120 db and the strobe firing at the same time you will have both a visual and audio signal from your alarms.
Old 18-08-2014, 09:55   #23

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
There is really no such thing as shipping lanes. Ocean going vessels take the shortest possible routes.
There certainly are traffic separation schemes and shipping lanes, which are established in congested areas. These typically don't extend far offshore but you can see from the AIS data that ships line up with them so they don't have to deviate their course when they get close. This link describes more and provides some history:

IMO | Ships' routeing

Once you get out of the nearshore fishing areas, all ships larger than about 65 feet are required to carry AIS. This is about the only way you know they're out there before you can see them. Even if you have a dedicated watch, you might not see them. I can't imagine crossing an ocean without an AIS system that both receives and transmits. You would have to figure out an alarm system that you will "hear."

I am gearing up to do a long offshore, single-hand race, but for the life of me, I can't understand how anyone would want to do a circumnavigation alone. It's much more fun (and safer) with crew
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 20:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Tempest in a teapot... You hear many things. While impaired, I am not sure I would call you deaf. And even if you were I don't think it would limit you too much.

You have no issues becoming a sailor and other than being just as foolish as the other singlehanders () will have no problems...

For any alarms you "need" to hear you should be able to rig up some technology.
I'm sorry to say the US Government considers me to be deaf - I tried to join the Marines after high school and alas, my impairment is too great.

Quote:
Why is that not an option?
Mainly because I'm a bit of a loner. Also because of finances and my preference for a smaller boat.
Deaf Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 09:41   #25

Another example of how soundly I sleep.

This earthquake M6.0 - 6km NW of American Canyon, California 2014-08-24 10:20:44 UTC

Didn't wake me up. Or at least, if it did wake me up, I don't remember
Deaf Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 18:56   #26

Boat: Freedom 38

I was on my boat and never felt a thing. Water has this wonderful dampening effect.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, sail, single, singlehanding