Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2018, 13:34   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Am I getting screwed by yard?

In the wake of Hurricane Michael I wanted my boat in good hands for inspection, working with insurance, and repairs. I returned to a provider that previously has done good work for me and who is recommended by others. I knew it would take at least a few weeks before they could get to her and that they would be squeezing me as they are busy, but it has almost been a month and they haven’t even provided a report of damages that can be forwarded to insurance yet, let alone done any work. But the yard fees are stacking up with the bill for November hitting my cc.

I guess I am held hostage but I figured I’d ask others of their opinion. I realize boats costs $ but this doesn’t feel right. I was given the impression that I’d get a report in a couple of weeks. It has now been four. I got nothing in writing as I was desperate to get her hauled for inspection.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:10   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Am I getting screwed by yard?

Call your insurance provider. Their adjuster should be working hand-in-hand with the yard. Perhaps it is your insurance providers fault and not the yard at all.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:17   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

When aren't you getting screwed by a yard?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:44   #4

Surveyor should have been contracted for the analysis, then yard time may have been short.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:47   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Call your insurance provider."
Usually there are state laws that require an insurer to make an inspection within a set time (i.e. 30 days) or else pay up whatever estimate the insured party has. No idea what applies to boats in Florida, it isn't like the US mainland down there.
But it sounds like the OP's problem is with a private provider, a yard, that he has asked to do a damage survey. Most unprofessional of them to actually haul a boat, store a boat, charge storage for that boat, without also agreeing that the work shall be done within a set time and scope.
Assuming (rashly) that the yard owner and the inspectors are the same business, it might be time to approach them and, diplomatically, say "You know, I don't think it is right for me to be paying yard storage fees just because you guys can't get around to it. If someone had said this up front, I wouldn't have hauled until you could work on it. What can we do about this?"
They might just be dropping the ball, not intentionally screwing. (That's what my friend Pollyanna says, anyway.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew