Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 07:56   #16

Re: Anchorage tips on parshelly protected water please

I'm thinking the force of incoming waters from the gulf are bouncing off these tankers on the hook, is this possible?
Old 11-05-2019, 08:04   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
I'm thinking the force of incoming waters from the gulf are bouncing off these tankers on the hook, is this possible?
Not if it was just one big wave. If it was swells from the ocean it would be constant.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:07   #18

the ocean isn't always constant. anyway it seamed very erie and mysterious.

I haven't been on the hook much so I'm sure I see even weirder observations.

thanks
Old 11-05-2019, 12:25   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
the ocean isn't always constant. anyway it seamed very erie and mysterious.

I haven't been on the hook much so I'm sure I see even weirder observations.

thanks

Well of course the ocean waves are not perfectly constant and regular but no natural forces will make a single, big wave and otherwise be totally calm. You see one large wave and no other waves then it not a regular ocean wave. It might be a tsunami but don't see too many of those in the Gulf Coast.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:57   #20

From the pictures of your bow roller/anchor support it could easily be that the 3/8 anchor rode didn’t fail from tension alone, but chafed thru on some of the sharp metal edges on the roller and the bail going over the rode.

I think I would take a very careful look at anything the rode can touch and smooth off all edges that can chafe the rode. Even then, you need serious chafe protection on the rode in the future.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:36   #21

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

Where to start? The 8lb Danforth is way too small; the old rule of thumb was 1lb of anchor per 1 ft of boat. With "New Generation" Anchors, such as Manson and Rocna, you can skimp a bit (up to 20%), and even with a Bruce or Delta/D-type, (which aren't technically NGAs), you can skimp a bit. I suggest something like a Bruce or a Delta, but minimum 15 lb. You certainly should have 20 ft chain, which would permit anchoring in 5 or 6 ft of water, without using the rope. (BTW all the other posters are dead right: 3/8inch is not enough; minimum for your boat is 1/2 inch)
Also, although it wasn't part of the original problem, how is your anchoring technique? In very shallow water (and we often anchor in 8 ft or less), it is important that the anchor does not get a heap of chain dumped on it whilst it's trying to set. In shallow water, say up to 10 ft;
1. Ensure the boat is STOPPED relative to the ground.
2. LOWER the anchor to the sea bed. (by now the boat is just beginning to drift with wind or tide)
3. Let out one small armful of rode, and snub. (The anchor won't hold, of course, but the rode will lead away from it nicely)
4. Let out 2 more armfuls of rode and snub. (the anchor may now hold ....)
5. Let out 2 more armfuls of rode and snub that. (We should now have a holding anchor).
6. Let out rode to minimum 3 times depth (all chain); 5 times depth (all rope). Make fast.
7. Take transits fore/aft and abeam to ensure you're not dragging.
8. Now you can think about that cold beer!
Don't forget to check your transits every 15 minutes or so; and don't forget to allow for rise of tide if you are in a tidal area. And, as part of the winter maintenance protocol, you did mark all the rode at appropriate intervals, and make a note in the log book, so that you don't forget what 3 green stripes mean, didn't you?
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 06:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
From the pictures of your bow roller/anchor support it could easily be that the 3/8 anchor rode didn’t fail from tension alone, but chafed thru on some of the sharp metal edges on the roller and the bail going over the rode.

I think I would take a very careful look at anything the rode can touch and smooth off all edges that can chafe the rode. Even then, you need serious chafe protection on the rode in the future.

DougR
Doug good observation kindof. I admit my vessel is a juggle of never ending ongoing
Projects & upgrades.started the conversion &repower march 2016 was repowered and using vessel in the Gulf late june 2016 been fine tuning since.

The pulpit currently is only used to hold & drop the 8LB Dan forth anchor.

What I do is pick anchorage then drop when I payed enough rode I tie off to either of my front cleats.

I was thinking for incorporate a snubber at the end of the pulpit but then reliezed that snubbers are for tieing up at docks correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well of course the ocean waves are not perfectly constant and regular but no natural forces will make a single, big wave and otherwise be totally calm. You see one large wave and no other waves then it not a regular ocean wave. It might be a tsunami but don't see too many of those in the Gulf Coast.
could be earthquake , I know memphis TN. is a earthquake zone not sure how much south they create waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstone bay View Post
Where to start? The 8lb Danforth is way too small; the old rule of thumb was 1lb of anchor per 1 ft of boat. With "New Generation" Anchors, such as Manson and Rocna, you can skimp a bit (up to 20%), and even with a Bruce or Delta/D-type, (which aren't technically NGAs), you can skimp a bit. I suggest something like a Bruce or a Delta, but minimum 15 lb. You certainly should have 20 ft chain, which would permit anchoring in 5 or 6 ft of water, without using the rope. (BTW all the other posters are dead right: 3/8inch is not enough; minimum for your boat is 1/2 inch)
Also, although it wasn't part of the original problem, how is your anchoring technique? In very shallow water (and we often anchor in 8 ft or less), it is important that the anchor does not get a heap of chain dumped on it whilst it's trying to set. In shallow water, say up to 10 ft;
1. Ensure the boat is STOPPED relative to the ground.
2. LOWER the anchor to the sea bed. (by now the boat is just beginning to drift with wind or tide)
3. Let out one small armful of rode, and snub. (The anchor won't hold, of course, but the rode will lead away from it nicely)
4. Let out 2 more armfuls of rode and snub. (the anchor may now hold ....)
5. Let out 2 more armfuls of rode and snub that. (We should now have a holding anchor).
6. Let out rode to minimum 3 times depth (all chain); 5 times depth (all rope). Make fast.
7. Take transits fore/aft and abeam to ensure you're not dragging.
8. Now you can think about that cold beer!
Don't forget to check your transits every 15 minutes or so; and don't forget to allow for rise of tide if you are in a tidal area. And, as part of the winter maintenance protocol, you did mark all the rode at appropriate intervals, and make a note in the log book, so that you don't forget what 3 green stripes mean, didn't you?
yes I do need to be more aware of tides height change I anchored northeast of destin FL. in the Choctawhcee anchored about 3-4 feet early the next morming the vessel was beached, luckiely there was a fly fisherman I waved over and we both pushed my light 2300LB vessel off him pushing me powering engine though sand.

this area destin,FL if you throw out a anchor like under the bridge or at public anchorage Nore agu Bch. the anchor is absorbed in mud and very difficult to retrieve.

The anchor sinks like it’s in quicksand even the 4LB dansforth is difficult to pull up.

Ultimately I’d like a barrel winch but think there available in USA? I could fab a house for it just behind the pulpit, there aren’t sharp edges on the pulpit.

short list is have 20' chain and minimum 1/2 rode.
I've had this nice front cleat sitting on the to do list for a long time maybe I could slap together a backing plate and have a 8" front cleat just behind pulpit.
I've been holding off in favor of the lifteye w/ builtin cleat makes to much sense unclutters forth deck and would be 10 times stronger this is where the lower and upper lift eyes are connected w/ threaded rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulpit cleat1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	192314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifting Rings and Boat Cleat Combo.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	192315  

Old 19-05-2019, 07:39   #23

About Ft.Morgan anchorage.
Here’s the spot this time to west of boat ramp. There are 4 poles one has a red flashing light.

What doe’s quarantine mean like is this a unmarked boat stay out area?
I think only canoes are allowed there trust me I found large concrete blocks scattered though this area I think there catching crabs in traps in this designated area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ftanchorage POLES1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	192319   Click image for larger version

Name:	ftanchorage POLES2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	192320  

Tags
anchor, lease, rot, water