Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 22:51   #16

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Re: Aries Windvane tech issue

I'm rebuilding an old Aries and contacted Lean about a parts kit. He got right back to me and said that they don't have one for the older "Imperial" ones. They have modified the measurements to metric so they are off a slight bit and don't really fit the older ones well. I appreciate his candor.

Since I'm here in the US, we have McMaster-Carr and just about anything you need is in their catalog, delrin bearings, stainless springs etc. There seem to be a couple pieces I may have to have a machinist make but not that much.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 23:18   #17

Hi Jim,
I have found that the combination of duralac (zinc chromate?) and lanolin grease work well on all dissimilar metals, whether on the mast or extreme under water situations (e.g stainless fasteners threaded into an alloy drive leg). I do not worry about the proportion of ingredients (about half/half?). With fasteners I usually apply one to each side - e.g grease in the hole and duralac on the male threads. It seems to last longer than grease alone and doesn't ever dry out which can be a problem with the duralac. It has worked well for me for more than 25 years, but beyond that I am afraid I cannot offer any supporting evidence.
ShadyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:26   #18

Boat: Swift 33

Hi all,
Just got myself a secondhand (Danish built) Aries but don't have any documentation of the thing.
I've found some drawings and bits of info but am unable to locate a complete installation guide or user manual.
Anyone has one that they would like to share ?
Thanks,
Greg
iGrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 14:05   #19

Boat: SS34

I have the same one. Join the Facebook Aries page and on the homepage you should find all the info you need. Tons of stuff on Youtube as well.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, wind, windvane