Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 08:38   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Best Way to Attach PLB to PFD?

The AIS on the spinlock clamps onto the manual inflation valve..
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...roups/ais-mob1

If yours is an inflatable, maybe you could do something similar?
laika is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 08:39   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ re belt packs . . . nice in theory, but you have to make sure you actually wear it. The crew of Rambler were all issued belt packs, but when the boat capsized something like only two had them with them
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 08:42   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose3547 View Post
Hi, just wondering if any of you have good ways to attach the PLB to the PFD.
Our PFDs don't have pockets. Thought of maybe sticking some Velcro about mid-chest height so it could attach there, be readily available but out of the way when not needed.
Are there better ideas??
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi Melrose,

Are you are referring to auto-inflating PFDs?...

I also noted you are getting responses pertaining to both PLBs and AIS devices, so I will address both individually...

If you are only asking about your PLB, then a floating, waterproof model lanyard attached within a pouch is the best way to go because you may never need to activate your PLB. [i.e., you don't set it off every time you fall into the water...] It just needs to be available if that worse case scenario ever happens... Ours are in add-on Spinlock pockets attached out of the way so we don't know they are there...

If you also have an AIS MOB device and auto-inflatable PFDs, try to install that for auto-deployment when the PFD inflates [ours are set up this way and it works great.] Otherwise, your AIS transmitter needs to be out in the open and easily accessible so you can manually activate it quickly, and when you are floating the antenna is vertical and above the water...

You didn't ask, but for us the hardest item to attach and keep out of the way was a waterproof VHF radio. We want to be able to communicate in the event of a MOB situation... [ICOM and now some others have a button that shakes the water out of the speaker so the radio is usable immediately after submersion...]

I hope this helps, and that none of us ever need to use any of these devices...

Cheers!
Old 14-06-2015, 10:03   #19

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ re belt packs . . . nice in theory, but you have to make sure you actually wear it. The crew of Rambler were all issued belt packs, but when the boat capsized something like only two had them with them
Mine is permanently attached to my PFD, as stated.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 10:06   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Whatever else you do, for God's sake use a lanyard.

My life jacket has a special pocket. But I keep the thing securely attached with a lanyard. Can you be sure you can keep hold of it, if you're pulling it out in a storm after going overboard?
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 14:18   #21

Boat: Beneteau 373

What I do is put the PLB inside the zipper at the top of my harness/life vest with a lanyard secured to the harness. When you go over the vest inflates and the PLB gets extracted and you can activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Endeavor4419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 02:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Melrose,

Are you are referring to auto-inflating PFDs?...

I also noted you are getting responses pertaining to both PLBs and AIS devices, so I will address both individually...

If you are only asking about your PLB, then a floating, waterproof model lanyard attached within a pouch is the best way to go because you may never need to activate your PLB. [i.e., you don't set it off every time you fall into the water...] It just needs to be available if that worse case scenario ever happens... Ours are in add-on Spinlock pockets attached out of the way so we don't know they are there...

If you also have an AIS MOB device and auto-inflatable PFDs, try to install that for auto-deployment when the PFD inflates [ours are set up this way and it works great.] Otherwise, your AIS transmitter needs to be out in the open and easily accessible so you can manually activate it quickly, and when you are floating the antenna is vertical and above the water...

You didn't ask, but for us the hardest item to attach and keep out of the way was a waterproof VHF radio. We want to be able to communicate in the event of a MOB situation... [ICOM and now some others have a button that shakes the water out of the speaker so the radio is usable immediately after submersion...]

I hope this helps, and that none of us ever need to use any of these devices...

Cheers!
You sound like my kind of offshore sailor. Excellent stuff.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 15-06-2015, 04:08   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Mine is permanently attached to my PFD, as stated.
That's a really good idea.
Old 15-06-2015, 04:27   #24

Thanks for your informative replies. I was thinking of the Transpacs and Sydney/Hobarts I've done where we change watches every 4 hours and looking for gear in the dark. I will see where I could attach a pouch. David
Old 15-06-2015, 04:32   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thread drift, but has anyone jumped into the water with his own lifejacket (or one like it), so see what it's like? I just had all my jackets professionally serviced and regret I didn't think of doing this beforehand.

One of my two life rafts is due for service or scrapping, and I'm thinking about trying this out, too.

Seems like a really bad idea to have actual experience with these devices for the very first time only in the actual emergency.
Old 15-06-2015, 04:43   #26

I jump into a pool once a year as a pilot for training and its activated. It's really simple. All you have to do is replace the CO2 cartridge for a few bucks. It also checks the System. Re packing tacks just minutes. Good video on YouTube of the Mustang auto inflation.
Old 15-06-2015, 04:56   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor4419 View Post
I jump into a pool once a year as a pilot for training and its activated. It's really simple. All you have to do is replace the CO2 cartridge for a few bucks. It also checks the System. Re packing tacks just minutes. Good video on YouTube of the Mustang auto inflation.
Seems like a really good idea.

Does the cold CO2 eat up the bladders, the way it does life rafts? that would be my one concern.
Old 15-06-2015, 04:59   #28

I wouldn't think so because you're in a pool where it goes to water temp right away. Mustang recommends changing every 5 years.
Old 15-06-2015, 05:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Seems like a really good idea.

Does the cold CO2 eat up the bladders, the way it does life rafts? that would be my one concern.
I tend to manually inflate once a year for integrity check. I check the bottle/assembly before every charter and on my own boat every couple of months or so.

I have noted a few failures. One thing that is often the case (on many charter boats I have skippered, which is why I ALWAYS check), is that one out of every 50 or so jackets I check on charter boats has been fired, repacked, but not replaced. I think this is done to avoid the charge… but for whatever the reason it is iniquitous and charterers should be aware of the potential and check the jackets before use.

Also, WRT failures, KRU jackets (Ocean Safety) are among those in which I noted degeneration to the point of failure at the bladder seals in the folding areas, particularly in the shoulder areas. More than three I have found to have holes right through the double seal big enough to poke a pencil through. They have been informed of those failures. Other jackets may well be susceptible after more than 3 years service at the fold points. Worth checking.
Old 15-06-2015, 05:23   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
. . . One thing that is often the case (on many charter boats I have skippered, which is why I ALWAYS check), is that one out of every 50 or so jackets I check on charter boats has been fired, repacked, but not replaced. . .
Do you mean that life jackets must be replaced after one CO2 inflation?

I didn't know that, if that's what you're saying. Good reason not to just try them out.

Tags
pfd