Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 09:47   #46

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Calling engineers to build something!

I think it would be an exciting time when the wind picked up. Or waves. It would be the water version of a bounce house with shiite flyin everywhere.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:51   #47

Boat: Shopping

jimbunyard,

Gotta admit, those big ones are big. But the smaller ones, they hardly have the area of a mainsail. And have you seen some of those gaudy, "look at me," spinnakers? Nothing like a sunset at all.

The "let's be clear" one might be acceptable, though, as it's promoting something worthwhile, I think (Xthewater?).
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53   #48

I don't have a problem with advertising like suggested... as long as it's in the commercial beach area etc. But NO ... don't want to see it at some secluded anchorage or away from the bustle of the city.
But frankly... that aint gonna happen anyway.... it wont pencil out. To make it pay for the advertising customer they need lots of people. South Beach Florida might work. But your local anchorage in the San Juan islands aint going to!
The other issue is you will have to be a lot cheaper than the airplanes that tow banners around.... as they can be seen by many times more people.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
In fact I was saying to the admiral just the other day "You know I wish this tranquil beach/anchorage looked more like Times Square. Maybe a few billboards on the beach, or some other form of advertising.
Shrew, would you agree with me that the lovely, tranquil beach/anchorage you were enjoying was even better before you got there?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:10   #50

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I see, no advertising unless it might be of interest to you.

You should make a list. I'm sure your thoughts about what is useful and beneficial will be shared by everyone.
I'm not talking about advertising of interest to me. That's the twisted self serving rationale used by businesses to justify the saturation advertising we all have to face everywhere we go resulting in environmental eye pollution.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:23   #51

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
A boat with two masts is twice the eyesore of a boat with just one. You should sell your boat and donate the money to a good cause.

Definitely not sailing, though. Just a bunch of people driving their eyesores from here to there. No place is really safe from them. Imagine waking up in the morning and there, out your breakfast window, is a boat in your bay. Probably running its generator, making noise and emitting foul odors. Probably flushing their poop right onto your beach.

The horror.
If you don't like boats you are in the wrong place.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
If you don't like boats you are in the wrong place.
Sometimes I get so sarcastic I don't even understand myself.

i just think that someone cruising on a beautiful 50’ ketch (I love boats, but that's just me) shouldn't refer to a small business owner, who perhaps is dreaming of one day cruising himself, as "greedy."
Old 01-06-2015, 13:30   #53

Boat: 30 Pearson, 21 crownline

Just to let everyone know. It would be advertising my real estate agency.
I'm going to start off with an ad on my sail.
It'll be conservative and classy.

It will be a lot better than the "RENT ME" on boats or "SUNSET SAILS 555-1234" on a lot of sailboats.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bronk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:46   #54

Bronk33,

Surprised you've hung in here through all the abuse.

Let me just say as an engineer who knows nothing about designing or building one of the things that jimbunyard posted photos of, I suspect that by the time you include provision for unexpected wind, waves, boat wakes, losing air in the thing, deploying and retrieving, printing that will withstand sun and salt, people playing on it when you're not looking, other boats and jet skis running into it, etc., etc., you'll find out they cost more than you expect, and it will take a long time to sort all that out.
Old 01-06-2015, 13:50   #55

Boat: 30 Pearson, 21 crownline
Calling engineers to build something!

Quote:
Bronk33,

Surprised you've hung in here through all the abuse.

I just find it a little humorous no one knows about my area, business, me, what I was going to put on (if I did it), yet I was receiving death threats and was told I'm a piece of garbage, etc.

I'd *love* to have a beer with some people on here

Bronk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:53   #56

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Sometimes I get so sarcastic I don't even understand myself.

i just think that someone cruising on a beautiful 50’ ketch (I love boats, but that's just me) shouldn't refer to a small business owner, who perhaps is dreaming of one day cruising himself, as "greedy."

Why not? So if I invent a way to spam everybody for my small business that would be ok if it supported my sailing dream? It wouldn't be selfish and greedy of me if you had 100 emails from my business every 4 hours with no way to stop them?

We saw on the water billboards at the Americas cup in San Diego... We thought it was lame there too. One day you're going to look up at the moon and it's going to have an ad on it.

Why stop with towing a billboard along the Surfline? Why not put those loudspeakers like the Mexican politicians use and blast an audio commercial as well... You can mix in some Banda for sabor!

autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:50   #57

Boat: Farr 1020

OK, as an engineer then - if a client came and asked for a design as a prototype, I would use PVC drainage pipes and fittings. Cheap and easy to assemble, but.... not demountable for re-use. The inflatable bit is a good solution to that, but then a hinged and sprung creation with GRP rods etc would also be easy, once I had proven the principle.

Ballast is needed to offset the weight and windage of the frame above water. If launching from a beach, we could consider sand, but may need some sort of license in certain areas (mining license?)

Perforated screening will reduce wind pressure, but only marginally.

Then of-course, I will always have the right to refuse a commission from a prospective client! I can see there is a market there, but not exactly convinced I want to participate. Give it a week or two and a Chinese factory will set-up and manufacture them at 10% of the price.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:19   #58

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk33 View Post
You Tow them, up and down beaches... Like airplane banner towing.You don't set them up next to boats. Thanks for the reply

Or up and down the ICW in front of all those billion dollar houses fighting anchoring.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:21   #59

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

[QUOTE=Bronk33;1837854]I love supporting small businesses (which I might end up doing), but the prices for his systems are kind of steep $3500+
It's basically a floating ad:
bbi Displays Ibb-200HD Amphibious, Airtight Billboard - bbi Inflatable Display Systemsbbi Inflatable Display Systems

Question, does anyone have any ideas of a diy build at home for 1/6 the cost of his?
His are made of vinyl with air ballasts as floats. The big one weighs 200 pounds. I'm thinking of a pvc system, but the stability and weight seem unrealistic.

Anxious to hear everyone's thoughts!

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I must. There is far too much advertizing, radio, TV, Internet, Highways and Bi-ways, Airports, Malls~~It's sickening, and long reached resistance level for me. Any advert is a negative for the product for me. The one place to get away is the Ocean Front and the Sea and you want help to despoil that~~!!!
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:25   #60
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
One day you're going to look up at the moon and it's going to have an ad on it.
In old times (when USSR existed) we had a joke on this subject.

Aide to U.S. President: "Mr President! Russians started to paint the Moon red!"
President: "don't worry and keep calm"
Aide: (a week later) "Mr President! Ruskies painted half the Moon red already! Shouldn't we react?"
P: "don't worry and keep calm"
A: (two weeks later) "Mr President! Russians finished painting the Moon. It is all red now."
P: "Great!, now, send our boys out there with white paint."
A: "Yes...Sir.. and?"
P: "and let'em paint 'Coca-Cola' over it!"

Yeah, probably not the best contribution to the thread subject :-) but, as an engineer, I wouldn't support designing yet another banner. Besides, who needs banners in 21st Century anyway, when reaching target is so much easier with targeted Internet ads? ;-/
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, engine, engineer