Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 15:27   #61

Boat: Shopping
Re: Calling engineers to build something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Or up and down the ICW in front of all those billion dollar houses fighting anchoring.
Brilliant!

He wants to advertise his real estate business, after all, and maybe some of those homeowners are ready to sell, fed up with having to look at boats and having their view of the rising moon (or the setting sun) blocked by tall masts.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:29   #62

Boat: 30 Pearson, 21 crownline
Calling engineers to build something!

I would totally hire almost everyone in this forum to be head of marketing for my company.

"Ummm why don't you just work harder?"
Or
"Have you considered placing an ad on the internet"

Pure genius!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bronk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:49   #63
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

^^^ haha
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:00   #64
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I dunno Bronk, don't they say any advertising is good advertising? I'd consider buying a 35' yacht from Craigslist for under a grand, spend a grand on a full main and jib advertising banner (don't forget to put your face on it, say 10'x10') the sails don't have to work to good. Just run it ashore on a busy beach day, call the coastguard, TV, newspapers, sea Shepard etc. you could probably on sell some advertising to the excavating companies that try push the bot back in the water, they're sure to get some TV time as well so why should they get a free ride!? A catchy logo will help the public remember long after. Maybe something along the lines of :
Buy and sell with Brink, we won't let you sink! (Edit oops got the username wrong) maybe someone else can suggest a better catch phrase...)

Of course a good drowning would probably bring in even more media attention, but you would have to discuss that with your employees to see if any are really committed to the company.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:32   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Advertise away. The great pleasure I get by going to remote places with 0 marks of mankind are increased.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:10   #66

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

A boat is not an advertisment.
A billboard along the highway is an advertisment. A car on the highway is not.
Get it?
If you don't like to see boats, I'd suggest not going near any water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Brilliant!

He wants to advertise his real estate business, after all, and maybe some of those homeowners are ready to sell, fed up with having to look at boats and having their view of the rising moon (or the setting sun) blocked by tall masts.
Old 01-06-2015, 22:13   #67

Boat: 30 Pearson, 21 crownline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
A boat is not an advertisment.

A billboard along the highway is an advertisment. A car on the highway is not.

Get it?

If you don't like to see boats, I'd suggest not going near any water.

I've never seen some business wonders EVER advertise on their personal car with magnets, decals, etc.
On the same note, I've NEVER seen companies do full vinyl wraps on cars.

-Sarcasm was intended greatly.

Bronk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:13   #68

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

My oh my, touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk33 View Post
I'll have to try this.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk33 View Post
I just find it a little humorous no one knows about my area, business, me, what I was going to put on (if I did it), yet I was receiving death threats and was told I'm a piece of garbage, etc.

I'd *love* to have a beer with some people on here

hyperbolic and judging from this picture

slightly arrogant (or is that pretentious?) since that kinda looks like the bridge over the inlet between Ft Walton and Destin...

All which should be useful traits in the real estate business. And I'm not being facetious or sarcastic.

Though almost everyone has given a good (though somewhat sideways) answer to your (somewhat sideways) question, "can I make something for 1/6 the cost of what someone else has already developed, and use it to promote 'a business'?", no one has actually addressed the 'engineering' part much, so here goes:

1 10' X 16" PVC duct pipe will give you 217 lbs flotation, less 6 lbs a ft for the pipe itself, plus 2 lbs at each end for the caps, so 64 - 217 = 153 lbs each x 2 = 306 lbs flotation, which appears adequate if you used 2" pvc schedule 40 pipe for the billboard structure. A valve could be installed to
add a little water for ballast, but a wide enough stance would probably negate the need for that.

The problem is the cost and durability. A reasonably priced source,

Indelco Plastics Corporation - PVC Gray Duct Pipe

lists the price at 22.51 foot x 20 = 450.20.

That doesn't include 4 end caps (100.00 each) or glue (10.00) or freight (estimated at 150.00).

So using PVC, around 760.00 for just the pontoons with no superstructure or towing apparatus.

1/6 of 3500.00 = 783.00

If this were to be stationary, then PVC superstructure would be ok. But when you start talking about towing., that is a whole other ball game. PVC might last a day, what is needed is some kind of aluminum frame, so throw in another 800-1000.00. Then add the PVC mast and fittings (75.00), guy wires (75.00), tow rope (50.00) and assorted hardware (stainless, or course 100.00).

So around 2000.00, not including labor. 3500.00 starts to look reasonable. Not to mention the legal requirements from the Coast Guard on towable advertising, if any.

Of course the point is moot, since you've already decided to start with a 'conservative and classy' sail design. Good for you.

But my real point is that it seems to me that the people that have responded have answered your unstated question of what kind of 'beach advertising' is likely to be successful rather well. And a lot of them probably are in your target market....
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, engine, engineer