Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Can a DIY Dyneema re-rig be cheaper than SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
My trimaran has an almost all dynemma on it. On my latest trip to Mexico to work on the boat in San Carlos I replaced my SS forestay and SS backstay with synthetic.

Since my boat is trailerable it is a feature I desire to have rig easily dismantled and reassembled. I literally can take the rig from horizontal and tensioned within an hour. I can drop the mast in 20 minutes. I have a synthetic forestay with an L- line furler. I got rid of the ancient Profurl with all the aluminum extrusions. It was PITA to derig and always stressful that you would kink it.

I worked with John Franta at Colligo Marine. Bought a synthetic forestay, L line furler, dynema backstays that hang on cheeky tangs, and lazy jacks for all about 3K. Hard to beat those prices.

There is also another guy in San Diego, that James on Sailing Zingaro (YouTube) speaks of. Think his company is called Krakken.

My new headsail built by Elliott Pattison sails in Newport Beach California uses soft hanks to attach the sail around the synthetic stay. I can, therefore use my headsail as a furler or as a lift/ drop/ bag it. The quality is beyond excellent.

Dynemma is used by all the top world racing crews. It doesn’t corrode. It doesn’t developed meat hooks, it is stronger than steel, it can be prestretched. It is much easier to inspect for wear and tear than stainless. It is lighter weight aloft. Watch some videos and start to increase your knowledge base. If circumnavigator racers are using it on 5 million dollar boats in the roaring 40’s ... you can bet your a$$ that some serious stresses occur on the rigs and you will never approach those limits with what we do as sailors. .
Excellent explanation and rationale for the use of Dyneema. James of of Sailing Zingaro put some serious miles on that boat with no rigging issues. Thanks for sharing some real world experience. Isn’t technology amazing, that you could developer a synthetic line stronger than steel ! Of the same diameter yet.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:11   #17

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
My trimaran has an almost all dynemma on it. On my latest trip to Mexico to work on the boat in San Carlos I replaced my SS forestay and SS backstay with synthetic.

Since my boat is trailerable it is a feature I desire to have rig easily dismantled and reassembled. I literally can take the rig from horizontal and tensioned within an hour. I can drop the mast in 20 minutes. I have a synthetic forestay with an L- line furler. I got rid of the ancient Profurl with all the aluminum extrusions. It was PITA to derig and always stressful that you would kink it.

I worked with John Franta at Colligo Marine. Bought a synthetic forestay, L line furler, dynema backstays that hang on cheeky tangs, and lazy jacks for all about 3K. Hard to beat those prices.

There is also another guy in San Diego, that James on Sailing Zingaro (YouTube) speaks of. Think his company is called Krakken.

My new headsail built by Elliott Pattison sails in Newport Beach California uses soft hanks to attach the sail around the synthetic stay. I can, therefore use my headsail as a furler or as a lift/ drop/ bag it. The quality is beyond excellent.

Dynemma is used by all the top world racing crews. It doesn’t corrode. It doesn’t developed meat hooks, it is stronger than steel, it can be prestretched. It is much easier to inspect for wear and tear than stainless. It is lighter weight aloft. Watch some videos and start to increase your knowledge base. If circumnavigator racers are using it on 5 million dollar boats in the roaring 40’s ... you can bet your a$$ that some serious stresses occur on the rigs and you will never approach those limits with what we do as sailors. .
!!!! This is great thank you!
Old 20-08-2021, 15:14   #18

This post is so old, makes me wonder how many re-tensioning of the rigs these dyneema clad boats have been through in the time. I was considering rigging with dyneema, just because it's a fancy buzz word and everyone wants to do it. It's so great, better than sliced bread even.
Until I talked to a rigger with 40 years experience, and i mean world class race boat experience, with no interest in digging into my pockets. You know what he said? "Don't do it!"
The older sk75 under a static load of 15% of the breaking strain will creep 0.02% per week, the more modern sk78 is same but over a month. They use sk99 on there boats, but these are boats with carbon fibre stays. Dyneema is great but it has its purposes, lifting, going around tight bends etc.
Sure its great for race boats, and i see it's the word used a lot through out this thread. Yes race boats, with deep pockets and full time riggers employed to look after them.
If you want to tune your mast every few months then go for dyneema, otherwise stick with stainless and look after like you should
Markkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 19:37   #19

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkk View Post
This post is so old, makes me wonder how many re-tensioning of the rigs these d.... 40 years experience, and i mean world class race boat experience, with no interest in digging into my pockets. You know what he said? "Don't do it!"
Your rigger has 40 years experience with dyneema?

I have 10 years experience using it and everything what you said he said is incorrect. It is far superior to stainless steel, even superior to galvanized.

I met several boat that lost their mast, every time it was because of stainless failing.

Not only is dyneema cheaper, but it is a lot stronger, lighter and safer. It does go slack in cold weather, but unlike stainless (which work hardens from shock loading) it is not dangerous to have a loose rig.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 09:16   #20

HI Folks

I just redid the simple single spreader rig on my S&S Swan 40. I talked extensively with John at Colligo. I used 13mm Dyneema DUX from Hampidjan in Iceland I did the load stretch creep calculations and John from Colligo and I came out with the same size independently. I bought and installed the Cheeky tangs and end fittings from Colligo and did the stretching splicing stretching splicing stretching myself.. All my standing rigging except for the forestay is now Dyneema. In my Backstay I have buried my SSB antenna.

Price because I did it myself a bit cheaper than a riggers quote..

I like
a) the loss of weight in the mast
b) I can make a new shroud anywhere..as I do crossings this is impt
c) You can see when it needs to be changed (gets fuzzy) ...Rod rigging NO. Wire how is the core?? Ever tried to make an SS wire shroud at sea.. I haven't and don't want to!!!
d) the reusable colligo fittings
e) I can carry enough dyneema below to make as many shrouds as I like.. takes no space weighs very little ..
f) you can make a shroud in under a half hour... Stretching at sea is an issue but I am set up to use my turnbuckles and chainplate distributors..and end terminators.
g) no jagged ends..
h) looks amazing..
Yes I have to tune a bit more but this is relatively simple..on my rig. A complex rig double triple spreaders would be a bit of a pain..

Check the Colligo website talk with John for info.. I am happy. I like I can do it myself and know every bit of the rig...

Dyneema has stood the test of time it is used by fishermen in trawls crane operators etc... these guys do not waste money...

Have fun splicing

Mike from Stormsvale..
stormsvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 08:34   #21

Are your upper shrouds continuous, or is there a termination at the spreader tip? If continuous, how did you handle chafe on the spreader tips? Thanks!
dougcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 00:04   #22

My upper shrouds are continuous. What I did was cut bit of the spreader off and had a new spreader end made up. It is polished aluminium with a hole with two access horns which allows a piece of reinforced PVC hose is circa 14-15mm ID. The horns allow you to put the shroud into the fitting. Horns allow the 13 mm dyneema to come in but not the hose.. this I slide down into the spreader end
I put a circa 10 inch length of the PVC hose (just enough so it fits under my spreader end cover) on each shroud before splicing on the last fitting. I was going to put some heat shrink on the dyneema as well but this made the shroud too thick to go in the PVC hose..
SO far so good no chafe.

Colligo also makes spread end fittings but I did not find ones that worked with my spreaders.

Doing a couple of races in September then the boat comes out for winter storage in October. (I am in Northern Europe, Denmark) If you would like pictures I can take them then..
I am prepping for a a run to the Pacific this winter. Plan to leave July 22. This will be my third crossing with this boat.
Hope this helps!!
Old 23-08-2021, 02:01   #23

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkk View Post
This post is so old, makes me wonder how many re-tensioning of the rigs these dyneema clad boats have been through in the time. I was considering rigging with dyneema, just because it's a fancy buzz word and everyone wants to do it. It's so great, better than sliced bread even.
Until I talked to a rigger with 40 years experience, and i mean world class race boat experience, with no interest in digging into my pockets. You know what he said? "Don't do it!"
The older sk75 under a static load of 15% of the breaking strain will creep 0.02% per week, the more modern sk78 is same but over a month. They use sk99 on there boats, but these are boats with carbon fibre stays. Dyneema is great but it has its purposes, lifting, going around tight bends etc.
Sure its great for race boats, and i see it's the word used a lot through out this thread. Yes race boats, with deep pockets and full time riggers employed to look after them.
If you want to tune your mast every few months then go for dyneema, otherwise stick with stainless and look after like you should

Complete and utter rubbish sounds like 1 years experience 40 times over.
I have had pre-tensioned Dynex Dux 11mm shrouds and they have not needed re-tensioning over seven years on a powerful cat it replaced 12mm SS. 750grams vs 15kg.

https://www.strongrope.com/
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 02:56   #24

40 years of experience....

hate to rain on your parade but visiting mr google

Dyneema was invented by Albert Pennings in 1963 but made commercially available by DSM in 1990. UHMWPE are used as composite plates in armor, in particular, personal armor and on occasion as vehicle armor.

America³ (pronounced America Cubed), the winner of the 1992 America's Cup. During the 1992 Cup, that yacht reportedly used sails made from precursors to the currently available commercial product.

SO your rigger may have some memory or ....problems.. As for needing big pockets, on the contrary I just spliced a spare shroud yesterday... 1/2 hour... of course I had pre stretched the Dyneema DUx...the way I do it takes about 15 minutes with repeated sessions over a few days. Regardless a great DIY savings..

We have facts and alternate facts... give me the data..

Tags
cheap, DIY, dyneema