Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2009, 03:08   #1
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Challenge: A Real Challenge Solved by a Forum Member

Hi all, I hope I am publishing this thread in the proper place here

I am an airline transport pilot who flew since I was 18 years old and I decided to retire at 37 from Continental after spending fourteen thousand hours up in the air and achieve my dream (I sailed as a navy cadet in my countrie's sailing training ship that was my only sailing experience ever) I bought a CL41 offshore in the BVI and I hired a 70 year old very experienced captain to spend a few months as the boat captain while I learned , we became friends and two days ago bad news hit us at the marina (Nanny Cay) regarding his mother serious health situation back in the US. He of course flew back and I was left alone in the boat, I felt like being on board one of those airbuses I used to fly but without a hint of what to do

I contacted Tony (bvimatelot) who I previously virtually met here at the forum and commented him the situation. Tony is a retired royal navy officer and he has been chartering and delivering boats for many years.

Tony was very sensitive and the very next day he showed up at the slip and after hearing the situation (everybody needs to leave the marina due to the upcoming regatta) he volunteered to help me by relocating the boat during the regatta at Road Harbour where I will be anchored and I will also be able to dink into town. He will also be relocating the boat back to the marina and most possibly he and me will take the boat to Cartagena (my previous captain will need to spend a few good months close to his mom. I am local in Cartagena) in my way to the San Blas Islands.

The challenge continues as I will need to learn to live anchored during that week and then spend some time back at the marina while Tony findsa slot to sail her to Cartagena.

In the mean time I keep close contact with my previous captain and friend back in Fort Lauderdale who is letting me consult him about the way I am handling this brand new situation for me.

Without this forums it would have been close to impossible to make it thru and the boat would have been back on the yard...thanks Tony and thanks to the cruisersforum.

Feel free to comment and make suggestions for this challenge, the boat is very seaworthy.

Cheers,
Old 27-03-2009, 04:35   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
JC.

BVI Spring Regatta! Since you've been kicked out of your slip, it sounds like a great time for you to get out and SAIL!!!

Seriously. The forecast is for 10-15 kts for the next few days--perfect for getting the feel of your new boat!
Old 27-03-2009, 04:55   #3
Back to the game

Hud thank you I always try to make the best of any situation I will do it once more

Can you PM with your sources for Wx for this area?

Thanks in advance,
Old 27-03-2009, 05:02   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I just looked at Windfinder.com for Beef Island/Tortola. Also, PassageWeather.com uses the same model output, I believe, but in a different (animated) format. Beware the northerly swells for the next day or two if you plan to anchor or moor in a spot exposed to the north.
Old 27-03-2009, 05:06   #5
Back to the game

Super, thanks for the swift reply Capitan Hud

Will you spend the hurricane season in Cartagena too?
Old 27-03-2009, 07:49   #6

I can't even imagine having a boat that I couldn't handle. Been sailing for 30 years. Started with 13 footer.
Good luck with your learning curve.
I hope it's not too steep....

The forum is a tremendous source of info/help.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 07:54   #7
Back to the game

I see your point...

My boss wanted to fly the corporate jet I flew for him for three years and he started flying on his very own jet, I stayed with him for over a year and he has been safely flying across the americas his jet (citation encore) for over 4 years, unusual situations that will take unusual approaches but still feasible to perform safely.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Having to live at anchor for a few (or more) days is a very good thing. You will stress the electrical system and find out any weak spots. It is much better to pull the plug now so that you can fix anything that needs it before you head to Cartagena.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 08:08   #9
Back to the game

DeepFrz I concur. I will be anchored for about 10 days and I will need to reconnect the wind generator, make sure the bank batteries are being charged, make sure the bilges are doing its job same for the dink etc.

After that I will be back at the marina getting some more chores done before we depart sometime in May before the hurricane season gets started.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Feel free to comment and make suggestions for this challenge, the boat is very seaworthy.
Learning by doing is most of what it takes. I think the bigger issue is learning what to look for and to see things happening and understanding what they mean. You look at weather differently and you need to use your resources such as water and power with an eye to the implications later. These are things you obviously know about yet need to make more second nature through practice on the boat.

It means you can make a mistake and that you just have to deal with. Everyone here has made them and doing this full time is a good way to build your abilities up. The analogy to flying aircraft is probably as close as anything else you might have done. Some of those skills will come in handy. Certainly the concept of monitoring many systems at the same time operating the boat should become familiar once the patterns start to make more sense and feel more familiar.

You may be slapping your forehead a lot as you realize things you already knew. Practicing with simple short trips places you in less risk situations yet builds familiarity quickly. Just as walking from stern to bow and back suddenly finds all the hand holds familiar even with your eyes closed. You get to anticipate the motion of the boat much better and can tell when things are not just right. Learning more builds up your ability to learn still more. Things you never knew you didn't know open paths to learn yet you have the context and framework to save it and use it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 08:59   #11
Back to the game

I was really waiting for Pblais comments, thanks a lot, I will save your post in a separate note sir