Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 12:16   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Bloody Barnacles . . .

I was thinking maybe you could rig a fresh water hose over the side of the boat and keep a spray on the barnies to help erradicate trouble spots. Not sure what the water bill would be.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 19:02   #17

I see a new 12VDC tool called a Waveblade. Made by some Scottish guy. It looks like several different blades that resemble a putty knife. It's suppose to be able to go 5-6 ft underwater. I'm wondering if anyone has used it or seen one being used?

Walter
Waltermorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 19:21   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i have to cut barnies off my formosa i use a plastic scraper-- does a great job and no damage to hull. or to thru hulls.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 08:17   #19

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

there was something i saw online like a floating pen that you drive the boat into, then close behind you. it surrounds the boat with a heavy duty plastic type deal by floating on the surface and floats free under the hull. the theory behind it is that with no moving current around the hull, it will keep growth from forming or at least reduce the effects.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 08:21   #20

that floating pen thing also provides ability to add chlorine to the water to kill off unwanted stuff, but then , when done, it all goes back into sea and chlorine kills fishies.....why not just have a diver scrape em off once monthly--or go sailing more often??
Old 19-07-2011, 08:40   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
was also going to suggest the fresh water idea, but also the bleach
I have no doubt bleach will work, but it's not exactly environmentally friendly at all.

I wonder if borax would be equally effective? It's often used in place of bleach.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:45   #22

remember the easiest thing to do is the most unthunkof thing--- try a diver or dive it yerself. scrapes em right off. they WILL grow again. how much crap do we HAVE to add to the sea to make all fishiees dead and gone????
Old 19-07-2011, 09:25   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
remember the easiest thing to do is the most unthunkof thing--- try a diver or dive it yerself. scrapes em right off. they WILL grow again. how much crap do we HAVE to add to the sea to make all fishiees dead and gone????
Agreed. Borax is natural and non-polluting, bleach is not.

People often think "My little bit of xyz compound won't matter, even if I know it is wrong".

That thought process results in overbearing laws that are then enforced by the groups such as the Florida "potty police".
Old 19-07-2011, 09:33   #24

i dont like the overbearing laws made to protect anything--i think commomn sense rules....and ANY chemical placed into sea is not normal and does damage to sea life-- should be rethunk to include simple stuff and easy stuff that has always done the job-wont ever be a forever cure without killing stuff--- if it kills growth on boat, will kill critters in sea. makes sense to me. i use3 a diver, and i do my own waterline-- right now stuff is being eaten off my boat by wonderful fishies and i dont have to use a diver except for thru hull cleaning

i LOVE chemicals--was raised by a chemical engineer-and i DO spray bugs, but i dont add to the sea to specifically kill life --except withmy bottom paint. if barnacles grow despite paint, mebbe paint is old and dead. until haul, i use divers and scrapers. other fishies eat barnacles...makes a good end to em until we kill off the fishies that eat em.

kali has potty police also--is called uscg--i met them onmy boat on my mooring--they brought a goggie and skeeereded my gato. not cool.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:34   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

Won't get into the environmental argument here, but I do remember that "boat bags" were quite popular in the SF bay area back in the 70's. Popular for a while, and then the owners found that while their yachts were clean, the bags soon developed growth on the outside... lots of growth, since they had no antifouling on them. Within a shockingly short time they had such a weight of barnies and shell on them that they began to sink. Turns out that getting them out of the water so that they could be scraped was a bitch of a job, and finding somewhere to do it was awkward.

They slowly disappeared from the marinas.

Now, as to using bleach... does not sodium hypochlorate rapidly decompose when mixed into seawater? My ill-remembered chemistry says it should.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-07-2011, 09:40   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltermorl View Post
I see a new 12VDC tool called a Waveblade...
Waveblade: World's First Power Barnacle Remover | Waveblade

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:59   #27

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

For the most productive use of your time underwater getting the barnacles removed, concentrate on removing the ones on the stem and cutwater, and also the leading edge of your keel, and (if you have one) the leading edge of your skeg/spade rudder. Having clean leading edges makes a big difference.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 15:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yes that's it. Wow I thought I heard waterproof but the ad shows up to 15 ft underwater. I would imagine the vibration helps out quite a bit. I sure would like to hear from someone who has used it.

As far as chlorine in the water .............. Let's not go there, if it's not biodegradable and green don't put it in our ocean.

Walter
Waltermorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 15:50   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

We better be careful about whats environementally friendly or not. Bleach is fine. If you need to pop a search into Google.

One wouldnt think its ok but it is.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 16:21   #30

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

I use windshield ice scrappers for the hull, work well, float if you let go, cheap at any auto store. For snorkel use, I tie a line from one stanchion to its counterpart on the other side of the boat, passing under the keel; I hold on to this line while scraping, keeps me from pushing myself away from the hull, stops the effect of currents, and I don't have to fight to get down deep or stay there... I move the line from one stanchion to the next, cleaning vertical rings of the hull... And, a little bit at a time. In Mexico in the summer, cleaning the hull is actually something to look forward to as it is a lot nicer in the water than out of it...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnacles