Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 09:35   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
What's a Chookhouse?

Am I really crazy? Am I the only one that has seen a solar panel on the side of the road and thought, "man when the apocalypse comes that's going to look great hanging off the back of my boat". This, of course, is all in good fun. I did buy a boat, built from fiberglass, by a manufacturer, it is not one of those hulks waiting to sink in your harbor. It is actually extremely nice. Which isn't to say that I don't have a couple of pilfered railroad spikes on there that I will use as shore-anchors.

Unbusted...If we ever meet...lets do so on your boat...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 15:43   #17

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Unbusted...If we ever meet...lets do so on your boat...

You wanna get a look at those spikes?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 16:14   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Oz Chookhouses...

A short article on chookhouses may be found here.

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 17:12   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
If you wallabees spoke english you'd know that's a hen house!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I am intrigued by the idea, unbusted. Could you make a yacht from scrap? Up in Northern Washington, I think the answer would be yes. There are a few boats every year, that after years of sitting in the boatyard, are recycled for whatever is useful off of them, usually the bronze fittings. I have seen a ton of good fittings go in the trash, often attached to old teakwood. I would find a boat about ready to go- get it for free and start scrounging.
Would be a great project if I had the time....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 23:29   #21

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Yeah I just think it would be an interesting experiment. I am always really impressed at the ingenuity of sailors and I think that would be the ultimate test of one's craftiness. I love the story of how Robin Knox Johnson made it around the world with a jury rigged gooseneck that proved to be stronger than the original, or, I believe it was, Moitesierre making a mast out of old an old telephone pole and sailing around the world with it. I think that says something about one's spirit and will. When other people would be frustrated these guy made lemonade from lemons.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 07:01   #22

Boat: Irwin 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordie View Post
What about CGI? Corrugated Galvanised Iron? Used a lot for roofing material here in Australia. We made canoes of it as kids - fold in half length ways and fold the ends inwards a few times to make them pointy and watertight (I use that term loosely). Some timber crosspieces to keep the top open and you are off!
Hey, this idea is not bad, it actually crossed my head recently! It's got some excellent strenght to weight ratio, at least in one direction. In the end, they were building aircraft like this (famous "Auntie Ju", Junkers 52). You'd need a smart design to exploit it's directional strength, something to keep it in shape - the timber crosspieces plus a little bit more, something to coat it with, or otherwise it would rust in a couple of days, and you have a light and strong boat! If you fill in the grooves with foam, it can also be unsinkable

Anybody with some spare garden space..?
szymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 18:07   #23

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
not exactly a yacht but check out spiral island... Spiral Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the guy collected old fishnets and filled them with plastic bottles collected from the ocean, then he dumped heaps of sand on the mess, planted mangroves, and taadaa, you have your own island
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 19:32   #24

Boat: Force 5, 13 feet, Binouchka
Okay, if you're going to do it, do it right!

Cork Boat

Yup, the guy built a boat entirely out of wine corks (165,321 corks according to his count), then sailed it down the Douro river in Portugal. He started out collecting the corks from hotels & restaurants, but eventually persuaded a Portuguese porto distributor to sponsor the trip with a donation of the remaining needed corks (IIRC, the Douro river was chosen because it was the port from which his sponsor shipped their products).

The book chronicling his adventure isn't bad, although by the end of it he did come across as something of an irritating prig who used up some friendships to get the job done. Still, I'll give him credit - the boat floated and he completed his voyage.

The good news is that he didn't go out on the ocean, so that milestone is still available. It doesn't have to look like the Kon-Tiki, I'd suggest using the same cellular wine cork construction technique used on the original, coating the whole thing with epoxy to add some strength and durability.

To tie to another thread, we could then add a new-born baby and a goat, and kill three records in one throw. If the goat's female, it solves the problem of feeding the baby - although I'm not yet sure how we'll stop the goat from eating the boat...
PieRatPeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 21:51   #25

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Ice cream stick boat

You could save up those Ice cream sticks and build a boat like this.

I think there is over 1 million sticks in it.
Google Ice cream stick Vicking boat to see more pics.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 22:37   #26

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordie View Post
I built a chookhouse recently from found materials - used a few pallets.

Again, What is a "Chookhouse"?
sailstoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 22:40   #27

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
OK... I Googled "Chookhouse". Seems it's an Australian house for "Chooks"... a chicken coop. Ah yes...two cultures separated by a common language.
sailstoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 14:46   #28

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
For what it is worth, the local tip-shop (a shop associated with a municipal rubbish dump, that sells things scavenged from the tip) can be an awesome source of good quality materials. We buy lots of timber from the various tip-shops in our area... anything from 6" x 6" sections downwards, for a tiny, tiny fraction of what a lumber yard would charge. The timber often looks pretty shabby, but pull out the nails and run it through a thicknesser and you can end up with absolutely beautiful hardwood planks, beams, battens, etc. Our engine box is built from ply and batters from this source, for example, and we just built a large double berth up forward for a freind's boat from this source.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote