Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 15:01   #1

Challenge: Going to Sea - Your First Time Alone

Was just reading another thread and the concerns others have about any new sailor going to sea alone or with another novice. I have the confidence to survive but I know I don't have the experience that is really needed or that one should have to go to sea.

So, how does one know that he or she is ready to sail off the horizon alone or with someone who is less of a sailor? And how do they know the boat can make the journey?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 15:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Challenge: Going to Sea - Your First Time Alone

Holy smokes! You don't ask easy questions do you?

My own humble opinion is if you don't KNOW, you aren't ready. I have a lot of sea time on a lot of different vessels; kinda gives me a leg-up on what boat is seaworthy and what's not. The vessel can be surveyed by a knowledgable person. You can be taught basic skills by an experienced mariner. I would not recommend setting off "to sea" until you have sought consul from both.
Old 12-08-2011, 15:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There is no "out to sea" line unless you speak of the inlet itself and even that line is blurred depending upon the inlet. There is no special difference in the task of being within sight or out of the sight of land. Most people's experience evolves from repeated more extensive trips and at various conditions. I see two hurdles to achieve. One is the ability to judge to proper times to break an inlet, in or out, when judging wind, current and tide and the other is the judgement made with more extended offshore cruising when you cruise beyond the three day limit of secure forecast. All coastal cruisers can forsee the weather for three days and select the best. When you travel beyond the secured forecasts, then you need to be prepared for the weather that would not be your choice. As it turns out, wether you are in sight of land or not has little or no significance.
Old 12-08-2011, 15:19   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I have the confidence to survive but I know I don't have the experience that is really needed or that one should have to go to sea.
Thats quite an extraordinary statement. Read it back to yourself, please.

Luckily for me I had 2 years passages where on watch I tried to do as much of the work as I could so I didn't have to wake my partner. So by the time she left I could do everything myself and had 20,000nms practice.

But still I was nervous when I took off on my first solo leg of 1,000 nms.

I can't see how you could be confident of survival in something you don't know about... sure fat old men solo, but would you feel confident about another extreme sport? Jumping out of a plane with no training? Climbing Mt Everest? Kayaking down the Colorado without having learned to paddle?

Maybe those that do feel confident without the experience do so because they know not what the dangers be.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 15:38   #5

LOL, Capngeo, I'll clue everyone in on my questions; I'll ask those that I have not really seen or where answers did not cover an issue. I also may know part of an answer, but not never know all the answers. I also ask dumb questions that might benefit other newbies. So, they may not be easy or have an easy answer, that's what usually generates opinions.
And, I like your answer, take a class and get a survey!

CaptForce, that's where I lack the sailor lingo and I understand what you are saying. Taking off beyound the forecast. I have had alot of weather training so that's not a problem for me.

Mark, thanks, good points as well. It's not really about me wonder if I should venture off, I know better. I'm not a fat old man yet (lol) and since I would have my PFD, I'm confident I would last a few days to get picked up. I do have the mental attitude that might be needed. I have been mountain climbing, jumped from perfectly good airplanes and fly powered parachutes, so it's not like I'm shivering in my boots. But then, I did receive training and agree with your point.

But, what about those who feel confident and take off to the Bahamas in a sailing canoe. who have never been in 6 foot seas? People have done that trip on jet skis, I'd rather not. I understand they called of the "Around in Ten". Many small boats have been crossing seas for a long, long time.

What can you tell us newbies to put the fear of God in us, tell us why it's so serious and what minimum features the boat should have to be sailed by a novice, more than three days out.
Old 12-08-2011, 16:02   #6

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
I have the confidence to survive but I know I don't have the experience that is really needed or that one should have to go to sea.

So, how does one know that he or she is ready to sail off the horizon alone or with someone who is less of a sailor? And how do they know the boat can make the journey?
That is a strange statement!

Surviving or not surviving takes about the same level of confidence...
in other words confidence has nothing to do with it.

Overconfidence can be downright dangerous... and it sounds like you have a fair bit of that

It's not confidence you're looking for, just common sense and a few basic skills... oh yes, and a healthy respect for oceans, weather, and other sailers' idiocy

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 16:20   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I also may know part of an answer, but not never know all the answers. I also ask dumb questions that might benefit other newbies.
yeah, but you may need to be careful doing that in that you may end up sounding disingenuous. And this forum tends to come down on some of them like a ton of bricks.

Much better to be open and tell us what you really are on about

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 16:28   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

1-can you sail.
2- would you be comfortable sailing 100 miles away from land for a coupla days at a time?

seems if the answer is yes to both, then offshore would not be difficult. until then, keep practicing until you are comfortable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 16:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Must you?

Surely going to sea alone is not the first choice.

Some do it because they like the solitude.

Others do it because the boat must go from A to B. Circumstances make other options unrealistic.

Others again because they enjoy cruising, and have no partner.

But those who do go to sea alone need to have prepared their boat for single handed sailing. Have you?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 16:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
That is a strange statement!

Surviving or not surviving takes about the same level of confidence...
in other words confidence has nothing to do with it.

Overconfidence can be downright dangerous... and it sounds like you have a fair bit of that

It's not confidence you're looking for, just common sense and a few basic skills... oh yes, and a healthy respect for oceans, weather, and other sailers' idiocy
Hey guys, when I type I take short cuts just enough to try to get a point across, sometimes I may not use the best description. Let's say that in the event of any emergency, I have my witts about me, I don't get ruffled easily, I make sound quick decissions based on training and common sence, I think out of the box, I'm confident in my skills to stay afloat and wait for assistance. When I know I'm getting into any situation that could get out of hand or beyond my comfort level, I take as many precautions as I can, I would certainly have a grab bag and it may be teathered to me if I thought I migh come unglued from my craft. I have an extreme respect for water even though I only use the top four feet of any body of water (unless I dive) as well as for weather and mother nature in general. But you can drown in a cup full of water. None of this makes me a sailor. If I were in a 60' self righting trawler, I doubt I'd get too ruffled, but I doubt I'll every be in one.

Looks like it might get off topic. To a military guy, confidence can mean many things that effect the perpensity of survival. I hope that anyone who gets on a V8 powered motorcycle has the confidence to ride it before they let the clutch out, after that it might be too late. Or, after getting off his 250 Honda, he might have confidence and just be nuts too.

Mark gave a good explanation too, about being off shore for a couple years and gradually taking on duties until he was "confident" in doing all things necessary. That sure makes sence to me. Sitting in some classroom for three days and going out for a day cruise doesn't seem sufficient to me.

So, where many will not have confidence they may give up in despair, I don't give up and I have confidence that I would not. So it really is an issue for survival in any situation. I would probably pass out thinking I was being hoisted up.
Old 12-08-2011, 17:05   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Must you?

Prepared

Isn't this what it really comes down to? How you have prepared; your boat and yourself! You do what is needed for the boat and systems and you do the various experience steps along the way for your own training.

And would it really not matter how many things you have done it you go though the same preparations each time?

I hope I never completely lose my fear, just that I am prepared enough to manager it well.
Old 12-08-2011, 17:15   #12

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Simply getting out of the inlet in some cases would be harder then the passage itself.

I agree with some of others... you'll know when your ready but it aint going to be when you are green...
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:44   #13

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Was just reading another thread and the concerns others have about any new sailor going to sea alone or with another novice. I have the confidence to survive but I know I don't have the experience that is really needed or that one should have to go to sea.

Let me put it this way. One does not climb Mount Everest from the top.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 12:24   #14

I have an interesting thought about the amount of experience required to go open ocean (single handed or with a novice). I just finished reading the book "Bumfuzzle." (http://www.bumfuzzle.com/.. its actually a pretty good read). To make a long story short, a young couple sales everything, buys a catamaran, and barely (and I mean barely) learns to sail.. then sets off to cirumnaviage the world.

My interpretation is that they were fortunate and didn't hit anything to nasty early on. The literally learned as they went. Early in the book I found myself cringing at their lack of understanding and bold willingness to risk long open ocean passages. By the end of the book, the sound like wise seasoned sailors.

Now.. this is not my style at all. I read everything I can and try to build up experience in rough weather with experienced sailors. But you can't deny that this couple just basically "went for it" and learned along the way.. and got the needed experience in record time! You might read the book, I found it interesting and somewhat educational.
sdeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 01:27   #15

Pay a experienced blue ocean sailer to come omboard your boat for a few days.
Great investment I think.
BB TGD is offline   Reply With Quote