Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 19:01   #76

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Da bad guys do not swim....

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Does my bomb look big in this?
Of course not darling ... oops sorry, automatic response ...

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 18:34   #78

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
This is how you deal with pirates:-
Aussie warship thwarts pirate attack
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:38   #79

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
This is how you deal with pirates:-
Aussie warship thwarts pirate attack

Seems as though they let them go.

Shame, as they are like our juvinile (and adult) criminals. They know they can get off and come again another day.

Shame.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33   #80

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
pirate alternatives

i read a post on another forum about this topic and read someone had utilized a surplus m280 grenade launcher and star shells or flare rounds making it the largest flare gun you can get. another poster had a similar setup where the gun was professionally finished in international flare gun orange, and made a custom label plate to bypass any of the more touchier countries. spearguns are a good possibility depennding on where you are going as they are illegal in several countries due to fishing laws. another more lethal option is to use whats called a boomstick, used as antishark protection and an easy sell if you have also have scuba equipment on board, blanks and no gun may be ok with most countries to. the stick/pole on the back of the power head aught to give you more than enough distance. while a can of bug/wasp spray may be illegal to use other than directed in the us, what are the laws in other countries if any. on that note bug spray is a chem weapon similar to those used in world war 2 - nerve agent i believe. it will do the trick if they breath in a concentrated dose. problem is same as pepper spray - what if the wind is blowing the wrong way, everyone could get it. i have a pilothouse on my sailboat so i can steer on the inside, i was planning to custom build an grate/bars that slide into the board slots, and center bars under the hatches. on the gun thing, its only usefull at a distance. im military and we completed training before deployment, on what was quicker at 10-15ft or less, draw a gun and fire or someone with a knife. knife always won even sometimes to twenty feet. imagine that in the closer confines of the inside of a boat or on a rocking deck. taser might be in order too. on the side of legality if its not a situation where you just have to scare a thief off and you can say i felt my, or my familys lives were in danger, almost everything changes in a life or death event, and a lot of laws go away or lax in an emergency. do what you must in that case whith whatever tools you have
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51   #81
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
do you guys remember the sports car "alarm" that was going around on car forums, where the burglars become toasted by flames coming out from under the running board of the car-- about 3-4 ft out from under the car--lol-- was sooo funny and awesome--- was about 3 yrs ago i saw it last on a z car forum...perfect-- from the boarding places on a boat- --or flamethrower....... but could get a llil bit weird, if too windy.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:00   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I've often thought it would be great to have some reasonably decent counterfeit currency onboard. Then when the thieves went to a bank to change it into something usable locally, hopefully they'd be nabbed and I'd get some justice! Same with fake credit cards, fake jewellry etc.

Cheers.
I heard on CBC radio about a guy who carried a roll of paper with a US$1 bill on the outside. If someone tried to mug him, he would throw the roll shouting " There's my roll." The thief would run to grab the roll and run away quickly, in fear of getting caught, while his victim ran the other way. The thief would only find out too late it was mostly a roll of paper.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:18   #83

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Amazon.com: Dollar Bill Money Novelty Toilet Paper: Kitchen & Dining
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33   #84
Armchair Bucketeer

Although sensible to have a variety of plans thought out to tackle intruders onboard, I think an anchor watch takes some beating. It's what ships did in the ye olden days - and not just about dragging anchor.

Whether done on own boat or shared with others in an anchorage.......
and maybe with the odd scan of the anchorage with a searchlight. could even ring out on the ships bell every hour that all is well. would maybe do no harm to mention what is going on when ashore, even if wrapped up with worried about the anchor holding.

the fact that someone is onboard and visibly awake (so the odd turn around deck) would be a deterent to all but the most keen. And an awake crew member with a machete is only ever going to be worried by a gun or a boarding from a larger vessel.........as only idiots would try and climb up into a yacht when a fella above is swinging a machete. Fishhooks on a pole along the gunwale would be a useful DIY razor wire that also didn't look confrontational. and maybe even a line / tangle of fishhooks in a bucket ready to throw down the sidedecks or into the cockpit to slow folks down a bit.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:26   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

L u x u r y C r u i s e L i n e s

Now Accepting Reservations! Additional cruise information available below.

To The Point Cruise Lines is excited to offer the ultimate adventure cruise
-along the pirate-infested coast of Somalia .

Ultimate Adventure Cruise Route
Rates and Availability

Ship Name

Starting Price

Days
Availability

Sun Splendor

$5,200.00

Fully Booked

Grand Voyage

$6,150.00

Reservations Available

Horizons IV

$7,091.00

Reservations Available

Horizons III

$5,200.00

Fully Booked

Grand Voyage II

$6,300.00

Fully Booked

Grand Voyage III

$5,200.00

Reservations Available

Coastal Paradise

$5,200.00

Reservations Available

Coastal Paradise II

$8,200.00

Reservations Available

Peril Princess

$5,200.00

Fully Booked

Peril Princess II

$5,200.00

Reservations Available

We board our luxury cruise ships in Djibouti on the Gulf of Aden near the entrance to the Red Sea,and disembark in Mombasa Kenya , seven adrenaline-charged days later.
Reservations start at only $5,200 per-person (double occupancy, inside room) and $6,900 (verandah complete with bench rest).

You'll relax like never before !
That's because you are welcome to bring your own arsenal with you. If you don't have your own weapons, you can rent them from our onboard Master Gunsmith. Enjoy reloading parties every afternoon, with skeet and marksmanship competitions every night ! But the best fun of all, of course, is...

...Pirate Target Practice !

The object of our cruise is to sail up and down the Somali Coast waiting to get hijacked by pirates !

Weapons rentals:

Weapon Selection

Price
Description

AK-47 Light Assault

$12.00
Per Day
On a budget ? Rent a full-auto scope-mounted AK-47 for only $9/daywith 7.62 ball ammo at $12 per 100 rounds:

M-16 Full Automatic

$25.00
Per Day
Rent a full auto M-16 for only $25/day with ammo attractively priced at $16 per 100 rounds of 5.56 armor-piercing:

Barrett M-107 50 Caliber

$59.00
Per Day
Hello! Nothing gets a pirate's attention like a Barrett M-107 50-cal sniper rifle; only $59/day with 25 rounds of armor-piercing ammo affordably priced at only $29.95.

RPG Launcher

$175.00
Per Day
Want to make a real impact ? Rent an RPG for only $175/day with three fragmentation rounds included ! A true favorite among pirates. Rent one today and show you care !

Customer Testimonials

"Six attacks in 4 days were more than I expected.
I bagged three pirates, My wife nailed two,
and my 12-year old Grandson sank two boats

with the mini-gun.
This wonderful cruise was fun for the whole family"
-- Fred D., Cincinnati , OH

"Pirates 0, Passengers 32 !
Well worth the trip! Can't recommend it highly enough !"
-- Ben L., Bethesda , MD

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
Twin mounted mini-guns are available for rental
at only $450.00 per 30 seconds of sustained fire !

Additional Cruise Line Services

• Need a spotter ? Our professional crew members can double as spotters for only $30/hour.
    (spotting scope included, but gratuities are not)
  • Also included: Free complimentary night vision equipment - and throughout the night.
  • Coffee, pastries and snacks are always available on the Main deck from 7pm until 6am .
  • Our deluxe package comes complete with gourmet meals and all rooms offer a mini-bar

OUR SATISFACTION GUARANTEE !

We guarantee you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or you'll receive an instant $1,000 refund upon arrival in Mombasa .

How can we make that guarantee ? We operate at 5 knots just beyond 12 nautical miles off the coast of Somalia, thus in international waters where pirates have no rights whatever. In fact, we make three passes through the area's most treacherous waters to ensure maximum visibility by Somali mother ships. We repeat this for five days, making three complete passes past the entire Somali Coast. At night, the boat is fully lit and bottle bockets are shot every five minutes, with loud disco music directionally beamed shore side to attract maximum attention.

ACT NOW!
Cabin space is limited so you need to respond quickly. Reserve your package Before 30th September and get a great bonus -100 rounds of free tracer ammo in the caliber of your choice ! So sign up for The Ultimate Somali Coast Adventure Cruise now !

BUT THERE'S EVEN MORE !

Reserve now and be automatically enteredto win a 5 minute time slot on the Captain's own Twin Browning 50 Caliber M2HB installation !

"I haven't had this much fun since Flying choppers in 'Nam ."

Don't worry about getting shot by pirates... they never even got close to the ship. With the crap they shoot and their lousy aim...

"Come on board and bag your own clutch of genuine Somali pirates !"

Esta mensagem pode conter informação confidencial. Se você não for o destinatário ou a pessoa autorizada a receber esta mensagem, não poderá usar, copiar ou divulgar as informações nela contidas ou tomar qualquer ação baseada nessas informações. Se você recebeu esta mensagem por engano, favor avisar imediatamente o remetente, respondendo o e-mail e, em seguida, apague-o. Agradecemos sua cooperação. This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the addressee or authorized person to receive it for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by replying this e-mail message and delete it. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38   #86

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
what if Somali Pirates come aboard as tourist, rent nice cabins and weapons? :-)
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 14:35   #87
cruiser

He'll be seriously outnumberd by eagar, well armed skeet shooters.
Those big emergency rocket flares can be shot out of a 1 1/2 inch plastic pipe. The flare and parachute can be replaced by hotter stuff. If you make a cone shaped impression in the end of the semtex, it becomes an armour piercing round.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 00:17   #88

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
pirate

SIGN ME UP !!
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 14:09   #89
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
SIGN ME UP !!
Welcome Aboard!

See, everyone does wanna go Kung ** Kruising!

FWIW I am presently writing a book about Self-Defence onboard small sailing vessels. Gonna be called:-

Kung ** Kruisers!
Crouching Sailor - Hidden Compartments

Should be in all good bookshops for Xmas

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 14:13   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Welcome Aboard!

See, everyone does wanna go Kung ** Kruising!

FWIW I am presently writing a book about Self-Defence onboard small sailing vessels. Gonna be called:-

Kung ** Kruisers!
Crouching Sailor - Hidden Compartments

Should be in all good bookshops for Xmas
A Guide to the differents types of'Heads' found on boats through the ages...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny, piracy