Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 04:33   #46

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Crew Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Read it, sucked for you!

I've taken people out sailing, but never called them crew just company.
HOLD on Don,,,when i went sailing with you you kept telling your wife to have the crew host the sails.

had really good time on your hunter,,,sailed nice, enjoyed meeting both of you
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 04:42   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
HOLD on Don,,,when i went sailing with you you kept telling your wife to have the crew host the sails.

there you go,put them behind the wheel,and even the sweetest,mild mannered become tyrants.................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 04:47   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Read it, sucked for you!

Makes me wonder how anyone can take on a crew they haven't sailed with for a long trip. I'm sure it falls into the "do what you have to" thing, but just seems a scarely thing for a boat owner.

I've taken people out sailing, but never called them crew just company. Some had taken sailing lessons and crewed on trips longer than me and in ways had more impressive experience than me on paper. But I could tell from some of their questions that this didn't mean they were ready for being in auto to run the boat. The big difference was that they fully understood who was in charge and took instruction and orders well.
It was definately do what you have to do. Cancer treatment took away nearly 60 lbs of muscle. In Feb I was in pretty bad shape. Pics in the blog will show that. I took crew to ease my wife's mind.

Turns out he wasn't needed. It was me at the mast in the squalls, and that's what I took him on for. I knew I could handle anything else. I was concerned if I could handle the main when the wind is blowing smoke on the water. It was the first time I depended on anyone while sailing. It will be the last! We will sail west again when the hurricane season ends.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 04:47   #49

Boat: private yacht always moving

Don has been a great help to me, spend his own time looking for suitable sailboats that will fit my need. thanks Don
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 04:56   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

just kidding,don
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 05:24   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
You want to hear about bad crew. I left Panama for Hawaii, and 700 miles out from Costa Rica turned back. Read my signature blog, and your whoas will fell like nothing.......i2f
Indeed!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:08   #52

About nine years ago I took my boat up to Canada via the Erie and Oswego canals with a good friend as crew who sailed with me for years. It was a hot and sultry journey motoring most of the way. He began to get ornery about mid way and by the time we got to Oswego I was ready to let him stay there. Never saw that side of him before and it makes me reluctant to have him on board for any extended cruises. I prefer to sail alone after that experience when I can.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:14   #53
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

I hope you paid for this persons transportation home.

If you didn't you may be in violation of the Jones Act.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:24   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I hope you paid for this persons transportation home.

If you didn't you may be in violation of the Jones Act.

No violation he continued on to Canada with me but, I felt I could never really depend on him again as I could in the past. It was an eye opener.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:25   #55

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
You want to hear about bad crew. I left Panama for Hawaii, and 700 miles out from Costa Rica turned back. Read my signature blog, and your whoas will fell like nothing.......i2f
Not defending the bloke but reading that I felt sorry for the crew :\ you sound like quite the catch!

Having said that I don't mind sailing with the demanding control freak skippers if they know their stuff. It's only when they don't that it becomes a problem.

In fact that's the key to good harmony on board: skipper must know their stuff, crew must be able to follow instruction. Most crew have no idea what they are getting into though, life on board a boat is very different, especially when the wind gets up, most are not capable. I've crewed with a sailing instructor who spent the whole time curled in his bunk every time the seas got up...
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:33   #56

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't take it personally...they do it to each other just like ignoramus sailboaters yell at each other over the right of way at 3 knots...
STAAAAAARBOARD!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:36   #57

Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice

Ok ok .. their crews were crap got it. WAIT! I had the WORST CAPTAIN to sail the seven seas. ok may be not the worst but very very close. Ok I know as Captain of the boat he is in charge of everything. But when you put my life in danger. all bets are off and the rules change FAST! Was supposed to be a simple 15 mile crossing on the pamlico sound. These waters are called the graveyard of the Atlantic for a reason. we were ganna stay inside the barrier islands and be a nice easy sail. Ok Cool we sail out, I catch the ferry home all is good.
Get on the boat. (p1) Wait you said it was a 34' this here is a 22'. Ok i can deal the weather is gonna be a lil choppy but not bad. I have sailed these waters with my 22' so i know it can be done. (p2)Your gonna teach your GF to sail on this trip and you wanted a seasoned deck hand in case of trouble no problem. Grab my life jacket and day bag and hop on board. ( I shoulda stayed home and in bed!). (p3)the boat is a shambles ok ok start cleaning up deck lines and checking the rigging and generaly get to know the boat. (p4) Hey where are your life jackets? Ahh you swim well and don't need em Great. Cast off... Honey you take the helm. Hoist the jib. Off the dock? ok.. your the skipper. stern line.. then bow? ok ... push off and away we go under the jib only. head out. (p5)Hey the water here is a lil tricky you wight wanna start the motor. Excuse me you have no motor. oh we have oars. ( %^*&.. In my head i was saying JUMP MAN SWIM HOME) did I listen noooo... so with a few bumps on the bottom and a few scraps on some crab pots we get outta the harbor and head to open water. He wants to practice MOB drills OK ok that's cool. Wait you want me to jump in Screw you toss a cushion and rescue that! Ohh haha your kidding ( I had to log with captn funny today.) now windward no honey the other windward. figure 8 approach on the lee side ( I know I know ask 12 people and you will get 12 answers on how to do this I always come up on the windward side keep the victim in the lee of the boat) several failed retrieving the cushion davey jones now has a new cushion cause it drifted into bad water. Oh well off to the island. the winds starts kicking up water gets a lil rough. we hammer though. hey honey lets sail to the other side of the island and meet up with john. we will be heading out to sea about 5 miles or so and then tucking back in. Wait that's not the sail plan you filed. You told me and I told my wife. you gonna call it in to someone? You didnt file a sail plan? WTF! Where is your radio? get this piece of **** 10 dollar wal-mart lookin thing outta my face where is the REAL radio!That is the radio!?! Oh gods all I can hear is the theme to Gilligan's isle in my head. long story short they decided to make this a 12 hour sail instaed of a 6 hour sail and at one point I was very tempted to get a my gun and take control and shoot them if need be!Oh and found out he was a instructor of a well thought of sailing school and she his pupil and this was her training / certification class. She passed and I was a "terrible deckhand didna know my **** from shinola. what ever shinola is)
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:44   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post

You weren't crew, just a guest that I was trying to make feel useful. But I'll watch my terms from now on to avoid any "title" going to a "guest's" head
Old 22-08-2011, 06:51   #59

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have long said that the two most dangerous things that one can do on a sailboat are to take on crew or crew for an unknown skipper.

Sailor take warning...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-08-2011, 06:58   #60

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Being the delivery skipper with a newbie boat owner can be hazerdous to your sanity.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew