Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 14:07   #16

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Dockmaster is making me move to a less desirable slip

The slip is not free he is paying for it with his work. In my mind it is the same as if he was paying cash like the other renters. He is using that slip as part of his pay. If he has to move he should get more pay to make up for the slip he is not using. I would not take a pay cut just because the management will not put me in a decent slip.

That said I agree with those that suggest you talk to the follow and explain how you feel and your concerns. Be nice and friendly about it and see what he says. Just do not get taken advantage of just because you work there. I have been in your position and have always been able to talk it out and come to a workable compromise.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 11:30   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35

Is the slip compensation listed on your paycheck as compensation? Is it deducted from your pay on your paycheck in any way? If they are deducting the slip from your actual pay, then you essentially have the same rights as others in the marina. If so, then you should have a lease agreement for the slip they assigned you.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 12:55   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post

Life is never perfect and employment today is tough. Your options are limited: accept the new slip or move. It will be a lesson for future opportunities. Good luck.
What is said here is sage advice, marinas that allow livaboards are getting few and far between. I know that when the Tiki Bar at my winter marina get to full swing you can here them clearly at my summer berth two mile down the road, so you really need to ask if the moving closer really increases the volume all that much.

If it was me I would talk to him man to man and express your concerns in a polite no confrontational manner and would most definitely mention the issue with kids and the noise and then take it from there.

Good luck
Old 26-12-2013, 13:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dockmaster is making me move to a less desirable slip

Way I see it is the employee is way down the priority ladder than the customer.. just coz you work for them does not entitle you to a premium berth..
Don't know a single marina that lowers the price according to nearness to the Tiki Bar... they only do that if you change to a smaller boat.. and a smaller berth..
Fact of life.. sometimes it sucks..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Is the slip compensation listed on your paycheck as compensation? Is it deducted from your pay on your paycheck in any way? If they are deducting the slip from your actual pay, then you essentially have the same rights as others in the marina. If so, then you should have a lease agreement for the slip they assigned you.
My assumption may be incorrect in this case but a lot of these deals are under the table ways to avoid taxes. You get compensated with a slip and it doesn't show up on your pay stub. He doesn't have to pay employment related taxes on a portion of your pay.

Unfortunately, this puts you at his mercy to a large degree. He could suddenly realize he "forgot" to include the slip as part of your compensation and report a correction to the IRS.

If you had nothing in writing, you still have no rights to a particular slip and you just created an akward working situaiton.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:15   #21
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you could always try earplugs and let him know the new slip is not working out
Old 27-12-2013, 07:55   #22

Rather then leave and pay full freight, offer to pay a little for it, you get a discounted slip where you want it, and he gets something back.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote