Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 14:37   #31

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Embedding solar cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Not really. They have been putting Solar Sails on ferries for a few years now.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.BVqpqi-FeFY
Is that a sailboat, and are those sails? Not really.

Some talk about making their existing sails as solar panels, using some new technology, like solar paint or solar ink jet printers.
Old 13-01-2014, 15:05   #32

Boat: Sabre 28
Quick update. After -9f temperatures here, I have had some cracking of the clear fiberglass surfboard resin I used to encapsulate the cells. I will speak with the manufacturer and report back.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:41   #33

Re: Embedding Solar Cells

Just browsing through here. soar sails? An interesting concept! Now I have 2 get back to my reality & clean the inside of my messy sailboat. Re; Vina

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum between storms
between storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:42   #34

I meant: Solar sails( don't know much about them but they don't sound good to me at this point. Re: between stirms

Old 08-11-2014, 12:49   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

One very good reason to not stick cells directly onto or into a deck is the temperature differential can cause the cell to crack. Best to have individual cells stuck by one point onto the panel, then covered with a transparent sheet of whatever.

Have you considered building a hard canopy over the cockpit and as far forward as the vang? You can mount panels up there. And flip down panels from the handrails. That's what I was going to do, until I decided to just get rid of the mast and put a canopy over the entire boat, for solar and for shade.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:53   #36

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

GW, get rid of the mast?
Did you ever make a video of the electric drive?
Old 08-11-2014, 13:05   #37

Darn, I don't get my reading glasses for 10 more days at most from Costco. ( I lost them sailing) Can't see like I normally do but I live aboard & no way do I want to cover whole boat! With canvas for now. ( if I read your thing correctly) I have a small one for now( solar cell, but am waiting till spring so I can mount my 2 Huge 85 watts on my small sailboat ( 28 fix 10 sloop) I want to sail but they go above the boom in use while sailing, and I have to make two racks at proper angles from each port & starboard handrails at proper angles so they come together while sailing. I'm too busy with land madness & drama for now so I have to wait till this coming spring but I know what I have to do. With your idea , where do u plan on putting them & how while sailing??? Re; between storms

Old 08-11-2014, 14:28   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
GW, get rid of the mast?
Did you ever make a video of the electric drive?
No but I can make one some time in the next week or so, I guess. Can't see the motor good, though, down in the dark. I need a bigger prop tho. The 2 blade doesn't load the motor properly, which I kinda figured would happen and I made allowances for a 3 blade 12x10 prop upgrade later on. I can only get 55 amps through the controller now. But even with the 2 blade folder that's about 4.6 or 4.7kt. I'm pretty happy with it and it's gonna get better as I resolve small issues.

The mast will just be in the way. Plus there are several issues with the boat that are pushing me away from sailing her, and I want to get under some itty bitty bridges up some itty bitty bayous. I want allover shade, allover solar panels, no stays or shrouds, etc. I am also thinking about a large homebrew wind generator. With all that, and a watermaker, I am ready for the next Katrina.

Pic made during initial installation and alignment. The rectangle thing ie is the controller assembly with fuse and contactor. The motor is obvious. Between the motor and the mounting plate is the reduction gear. Not shown is the homemade control box mk1. Later I will simplify the controls to a single main switch and a single knob for forward throttle and reverse throttle, and rpm, current, and voltage readouts right on the control box. And a longer cable. But not to hijack... I will do a separate thread in a few days with all the dirty details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-25 20.28.05.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	91154  
Old 10-11-2014, 13:35   #39

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I've been thinking about this for some time now. What we tend to do is build some kind of weather proof roof structure and then mount solar panels above it. The obvious next step is to design the solar panels in as part of the roof structure itself. The main problem is the not-so-simple issue of waterproofing between the panels - maybe a combination of rubber strips and silicone. There is also the matter of replacing the panels - probably a bit more frequently than replacing the average cabin top...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 22:19   #40

Boat: Hardin 45

The time spent sewing the individual cells together is arduous in a production setting. If you are going to spend the time required to accomplish this kind of installation I think you will find that the expense doesn't justify the end product. Most manufactures make glass panels that will stand up to the weight of an adult man. You could design a bimini that would incorporate one or two panels. SolarWorld 275 Mono are saltwater tested and in my estimation one of the best products on the market. Add a Midnite Marine Kid MPPT you you would really have something worth selling! Not thinking a subset of a subset.
MacClancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar