Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2023, 11:23   #1

Boat: Ranger Tug R31CB
Send a message via ICQ to rpelton
Flagging Vessel

We are going to purchase a boat in international waters and plan to sail Portugal and the Med. We plan to Flag non vat, such as Cayman or Channel Islands.

Has anyone used a company they'd like to recommend for Flagging?

Thank you!
Bobby
rpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 17:25   #2

Re: Flagging Vessel

there is no such thing as purchasing in international waters.
A contract to be legaly recognised has to have a date, a location and a signature.
Other than "planet earth" or "above the fish".

Check for legal requirements of sales contracts in the european union.
no country supports tax-evasion.

You are limited to a certain amount of time within europe when not european flagged.
So you will have to go to africa then ... (probably not a bad choice)
Where are you going to sell the boat then? No european is going to buy it, no north american either ...
What you think to have saved on the taxes you will loose twice on the boat.

An UK boat you can only sell in the UK. Or not stay anywhere for long ...
The Current nine EU candidate countries are Montenegro, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Moldova, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine

You can go Dominican Republic though.
We are promoting recreational boating at the moment and you can get a dominican title and flag tax-free. But we need to see the boat here.
Reach out if you need help.
huramentzefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 18:46   #3
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by huramentzefix View Post
You can go Dominican Republic though.
We are promoting recreational boating at the moment and you can get a dominican title and flag tax-free. But we need to see the boat here.
Reach out if you need help.
Let's say I buy a catamaran in France that I want to use in the Caribbean, Bahamas and US. Can I flag it in the Dominican Republic? What are the costs? What is required on an annual basis?

Thanks!
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 20:30   #4

Quote:
A contract to be legaly recognised has to have a date, a location and a signature.
Actually this is WRONG. You know not of which you write, although you do state it very emphatically.

There are many vessel sales that are made “offshore”. The usual reason is that US citizens are prohibited from buying a foreign flag vessel inside the USA. I suspect this is the case with the OP.

The usual solution to this silly problem is to just sail the boat outside US territorial waters and consummate the deal there. 100% legal, and happens all the time. It has nothing to do with tax evasion, and nothing to do with the vessel’s ultimate flag state registration.

Many boat sales are concluded 3.5 miles off the coast of Florida for this reason.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2024, 09:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Let's say I buy a catamaran in France that I want to use in the Caribbean, Bahamas and US. Can I flag it in the Dominican Republic? What are the costs? What is required on an annual basis?

Thanks!
Sorry for my late reply.
I was talking to the commandante de la marina de guerra in samana.
Your boat can be flagged at no taxes.
They want to boost recreational boating in the country.
I believe the registration has to be renewed every year.
That could be a small fee, I need to find out.

But if you buy your boat in France you will be subjected to sales-taxes or not?

To leave the boat here in the water costs you in Luperon probably 20$USD a month. They call it hurricane hole because it is safe.

If you need a marina, there are about 20 in the country to chose from.
One friend of mine had been charged 300$/Month in Santo Domingo (dirty river but in the center of the historic town, lots of bars restaurants and nightlife).

the Dominican Republic and Haiti have beautiful cruising grounds.

And you can't park a boat anywhere cheaper in the caribbean.

Reach out if you need your boat registered here, I will ask the commandante for your specific case.
whatsapp +18293199388
huramentzefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2024, 11:02   #6

Is this a private sale? If so, you can go to international waters to complete the sale. I would be hesitant to do this, because of documentation and perceived legitimacy as seen by other countries. A better and widely recognized way of doing business (and what we did) was go to a location that is VAT free and work with a company that can help with the paperwork. We went to the Channel Islands with the seller, Guernsey, specifically. There we used Ocean Skies Yacht Registration to walk us through the process. We found them to be very affordable (about $2,000) and they took care of EVERYTHING. We flagged it VAT free in Jersey (UK); they have other VAT free places you can register it, including Cayman. They also set me up with a ship's radio license.

https://oceanskies.com/

I highly recommend this company and have not affiliation.

Good luck!
Old 27-07-2024, 11:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpelton View Post
We are going to purchase a boat in international waters and plan to sail Portugal and the Med. We plan to Flag non vat, such as Cayman or Channel Islands.

Thank you!
Bobby
Citzenship can make a significant difference ... We don't know yours.
Old 27-07-2024, 12:08   #8

We are US. We plan on working our way through Portugal and Spain and then into the Med, for now. So we have to deal with Schengen (90 day) and Customs (18mo) requirements.
Old 27-07-2024, 13:53   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Is this a private sale? If so, you can go to international waters to complete the sale. I would be hesitant to do this, because of documentation and perceived legitimacy as seen by other countries. A better and widely recognized way of doing business (and what we did) was go to a location that is VAT free and work with a company that can help with the paperwork. We went to the Channel Islands with the seller, Guernsey, specifically. There we used Ocean Skies Yacht Registration to walk us through the process. We found them to be very affordable (about $2,000) and they took care of EVERYTHING. We flagged it VAT free in Jersey (UK); they have other VAT free places you can register it, including Cayman. They also set me up with a ship's radio license.

https://oceanskies.com/

I highly recommend this company and have not affiliation.

Good luck!
Bit confused here; if the boat was previously in any of the surrounding countries UK, France, Belgium, EU then the vessel would likely have been VAT paid in any of those countries. By conducting the sale in a non UK/EU country the vessel would loose it's VAT paid status (in UK or EU).

If you purchased a vessel in the EU from an EU citizen it would already be VAT paid and you would have avoided the need to leave the EU every 18 months.

Flag or registration has no relevance to tax status.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2024, 10:40   #10

Boat: Tartan T4400

Check with Wenthur law group in San Diego.
Old 31-07-2024, 16:06   #11

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Bit confused here; if the boat was previously in any of the surrounding countries UK, France, Belgium, EU then the vessel would likely have been VAT paid in any of those countries. By conducting the sale in a non UK/EU country the vessel would loose it's VAT paid status (in UK or EU).

If you purchased a vessel in the EU from an EU citizen it would already be VAT paid and you would have avoided the need to leave the EU every 18 months.

Flag or registration has no relevance to tax status.
Exactly this. Trying to avoid non-existant taxes could result in huge penalty in any future resale. Any European is going to discount fair market value by VAT if the boat has lost its VAT paid status.

The OP is trying to ask for an open ended generic answer for a question that is super specific to details.

What country is the boat currently located?
What is your citizenship?
Where do you intend to use the boat and for how long?
Is the VAT paid (if applicable)?
How long do you intend to keep the boat and where is it likely you will intend to sell it in the future?
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2024, 17:11   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

As others have pointed out, this is not correct. Executing a purchase-sale transaction of a yacht is often done in international waters, with careful logging of the location and time of the execution of the documents. Did it myself a couple of years ago.

There are different reasons for doing this, most of them tax related.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2024, 17:17   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Thank you!
Bobby

Note that the flag and VAT are completely unrelated -- nothing to do with each other.

You can flag a non-VAT paid boat in any country, including the UK and Poland (two favored European flags). And you can sail it in EU waters provided you are not an EU tax resident (and you can't sail any non-VAT paid boat in EU waters if you're an EU tax resident, without any regard whatsoever to the flag, which is irrelevant).

For a UK flag on the Part 1 registry, you need a UK mailing address (easy and cheap to rent), need to be citizen of a list of approved countries (US is OK), and you will need to get a tonnage survey if the boat was not previously UK flagged. You don't need a company; it's totally straightforward and done online.

Poland is even simpler, and that's an EU flag.

I wouldn't bother with BVI, Caymans, etc. There isn't any advantage.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote