Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 20:58   #1

Boat: compac 16
fuel stop west coast

heya guys and girls.

my question is regarding fuel stops up the west coast of the united states. from San Diego to Seattle. what is the farthest you would have to go before you could stop for fuel or pull into a marina?

any one know the farthest you would have to be able to make it before you could stop for fuel from Seattle to Kodiak Alaska? if not kodiak just post distances you know.

thanks
John
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 22:17   #2

Re: fuel stop west coast

On the BC coast I would think the longest distance between reliable fuel stops would be from Bella Bella/Shearwater (Campell Island) to Prince Rupert. It is a long time since I have made that run but off the top of my head I would place it about 225 +/- miles.
A wee bit of a warning: Depending on the time of year you are traveling in cold wet winter/spring conditions make storage tank condensation a factor to keep in mind.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 22:42   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Get a copy of " Exploring The Pacific Coast San Diego To Seattle this book has all the ports up the coast and if the sea conditions are good all the ports will be open and have fuel for there fishing fleets and crusers. I would expect Cresent marina is still cleaning up after the tsunami a couple of weeks ago but Humbolt marina is just south to fuel up. There are streaches like the 160 miles of the Washington coast where no ports and no anchorages are, just beautiful coast line. It is best to stay 10 miles off shore to avoid commercial crab pots all the way up the west coast.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:11   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Bella Bella to Prince Rupert is probably the longest stretch on the Inside Passage, although you may be able to get fuel at Hartley Bay, maybe 90 miles south of PR. If Hartley Bay works, you can travel the entire Inside Passage with the longest stretch being about 153 nm, from Petersburg to Sitka.

But if you want to do some of the best sightseeing without planning so much around fuel stops, you would prefer at least 200-250 nm comfortable range. For example, between Petersburg and Juneau (135 nm) you might wish to visit the Tracy Arm (beautiful fjord with fabulous glaciers), which would add at least 50-60 nm to that leg. You'd need a similar range to enjoy the beauty and shrimping and crabbing of Hoonah Sound (a detour off Peril Strait on the way to Sitka). Or to explore Glacier Bay with much more wandering than just going up to the Margerie Glacier and back.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 08:55   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We should mention the hot springs that are on the inside passage too.
Old 25-03-2011, 09:30   #6

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Prince Rupert and Bella Bella seem a little out of the way to get from San Diego to Seattle, I believe the preferred passage would be to turn to starboard at the Straight of Juan de Fuca. There are many small fuel stops along the way, but you must keep in mind that river bars can close at any time, and possibly be closed for days, in any season! Alternatives are a must. A 300 mile range, possibly supplemented by portable containers if tankage is less should be sufficient in favorable weather. This would give you a 50% reserve for the unexpected. Remember also you are heading uphill (against current) and plan accordingly. There are reasons they call it the beat, and also the graveyard of the Pacific. This is not to deter you, only to procede with awareness and caution. It is done by many people both in part and whole, every year.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel