Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 09:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 39 1987
Hypalon repair rubrail

I have a hypalon dinghy and the rubrail is coming off at the bow and about 2 feet down each side. I purchased the hypalon glue but hoping to get some advice on making the repair. Better to repair with the boat fully inflated? Does the glue set up pretty quickly? My main concern I guess is keeping the rubrail in place while the glue sets. Also what is best to clean off some of the old glue?
Any insight appreciated!
David
dszerlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 15:27   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hypalon repair rubrail

Here's a link to a thread that will tell you if the rub strake is pvc or hypalon. If it is pvc, you may need a different glue. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...on-102753.html

Elsewhere on the forum, there's a guy who is considering re-attaching hypalon tubes to a fiberglass hull, and there has been a lengthy discussion of glues there. There is a flexible exoxy that is reported to work well. (Our only experience with gluing hypalon and pvc together was using 3m 5200, which did work, but took 7 days to cure. 3m4200 is supposed to set up faster, but was not available at that time, afaik.)

There are undoubtedly You tubes about inflatable dinghy repairs, and/or paperback books. They will help you. Simply put, you sand the two pieces till they're free of glues (we did this by hand) wipe the surfaces clean with MEK - acetone will work okay if you cannot get MEK. Then follow the instructions that come with the glue: they vary for different glues. We used wax paper to keep them separate while sticking on the patches, etc. The rub strake is a long piece to work with. Be careful to start it straight and not stick down too much at a time.

Ann
Old 09-08-2021, 15:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Here's a thread I started when I had to fix the same problem with my Hypalon RIB. Post #114 gives another, very clear method for testing the rubrail to determine if it's PVC.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nd-157472.html
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 17:53   #4

Thx. The dinghy is definitely hypalon and I have the right glue made specifically for hypalon. Just looking for some tips on best method to repair
Old 09-08-2021, 19:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
Thx. The dinghy is definitely hypalon and I have the right glue made specifically for hypalon. Just looking for some tips on best method to repair
Yes, but what we're trying to say is that sometimes, although the dinghy is primarily hypalon, the rub strake, and some other items may be pvc. We're trying to warn you that what sticks to hypalon does not necessarily bond well with pvc.

Ann
Old 09-08-2021, 20:30   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

if following the instructions correctly, there is a fairly quick bond when making final contact

in fact it is so quick that you really don't have much (any) opportunity to wiggle parts once they are in contact...so make sure you line things up well before putting together !

another thing is watch your humidity. hypalon glue is sensitive to this so you need to be careful

if just re-attaching the rubbing rail, no need to deflate (like you would if repairing a hole)

cleaning off old glue is pretty difficult. try a heat gun - but don't go too hot ! the correct amount of heat will soften old glue and allow some removal

there are some good videos on youtube about gluing hyaplon dinghies - just do a search - however not seen one dealing specifically with the rubbing strip

good luck !

cheers,
Old 10-08-2021, 01:37   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, but what we're trying to say is that sometimes, although the dinghy is primarily hypalon, the rub strake, and some other items may be pvc. We're trying to warn you that what sticks to hypalon does not necessarily bond well with pvc.

Ann
Let me add some emphasis here: unless the rub strake is just a flat bit of fabric, it is not likely to be hypalon. Hypalon isn't used to extrude complex shaped strakes, but PVC surely is. And Hypalon glues don't work well on PVC.

Do be warned!

Jim
Old 10-08-2021, 04:35   #8

Thanks Jim! Good info, I will double check the material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Let me add some emphasis here: unless the rub strake is just a flat bit of fabric, it is not likely to be hypalon. Hypalon isn't used to extrude complex shaped strakes, but PVC surely is. And Hypalon glues don't work well on PVC.

Do be warned!

Jim
Old 10-08-2021, 10:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
Thanks Jim! Good info, I will double check the material
Just to confirm, my Hypalon Avon dinghy and a friend's Hypalon Zodiac both had PVC rub rails.

If you follow the link to the discussion I posted and read response #114 I describe a simple and completely foolproof way to test the rub rail and confirm that it is PVC.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:03   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just to confirm, my Hypalon Avon dinghy and a friend's Hypalon Zodiac both had PVC rub rails.

If you follow the link to the discussion I posted and read response #114 I describe a simple and completely foolproof way to test the rub rail and confirm that it is PVC.
I wonder about this test because there is chlorine in the Hypalon as well. Hypalon is DuPont's trademark for a chlorosulfonated polyethylene (CSPE) a synthetic rubber that contains 20-40% chlorine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypalon
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 13:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I wonder about this test because there is chlorine in the Hypalon as well. Hypalon is DuPont's trademark for a chlorosulfonated polyethylene (CSPE) a synthetic rubber that contains 20-40% chlorine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypalon
I tried the test on a small corner of the Hypalon fabric and did not get the obvious green color in the flame that I got from the rubrail but it was a very small sample as I didn't want to damage the dink.
Old 10-08-2021, 13:46   #12

Gord May's way of discriminating between hypalon and pvc mentioned in my link does not involve flame.

Ann
Old 10-08-2021, 13:54   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Gord May's way of discriminating between hypalon and pvc mentioned in my link does not involve flame.

Ann
But that's so boring. Setting things on fire is much more fun.
Old 10-08-2021, 14:34   #14

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Here's a link to a thread that will tell you if the rub strake is pvc or hypalon. If it is pvc, you may need a different glue. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...on-102753.html
GordMay's advice given in that thread matches Polymarine's advice for distinguishing PVC coated fabric from Hypalon top coated neoprene coated fabric. https://www.polymarine.com/advice/pvc-or-hypalon/
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rubrail