Old 05-12-2012, 14:16   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Liveaboard 14' Canoe In Boston

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...iGJ/story.html
Old 05-12-2012, 14:27   #2

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Liveaboard 14' Canoe In Boston

I met a guy last April in Swansboro, NC that was doing the great circle(Chicago to Chicago via The Mississippi and the Erie Canal) in an 18' canoe, paddling all the way. He was doing about 25-30 miles a day, sleeping on the islands of the ICW.
Old 05-12-2012, 17:10   #3

Man's home a 14-foot canoe in Boston Harbor - Yahoo! News

This link has some pictures of his boat.

I wish I could fit everything I own into a 14' boat. But, I would be paddling around Florida this time of year.

The bathroom situation and security of the possessions when you aren't in the boat are the two things I would worry about. Also storms and tipping over...
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I wouldn't cross a pond in a 14' fiberglass canoe. Now Grumman or Alumacraft 17' canoes can carry 2 men and 200 lbs of gear and remain stable. I found that a 14' fiberglass canoe with 2 men (about 360 lbs) was very unstable.

A properly designed canoe is a very seaworthy vessel if well handled and not overloaded.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:42   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I don't think I could handle one week of Boston winter living in a canoe. I hope he does okay.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:58   #6

Boat: Mac 26X
Good for him...if he likes it. I wouldn't...can't stand the cold :-)

Was it just me...police are watching him, CG are watching him...I felt like there's a pre determined failure, maybe it was just me.
Old 06-12-2012, 00:34   #7

Lets assume anyone living in a canoe, on the water, in a winter city, might have socialization issues, to be kind, and to be blunt, may be at least mildly retarded, or dependency problems with drugs and alcohol.

50 years ago, people like this were yanked off the streets and institutionalized. Today, we build them 7/11s to hang out in.

I feel sorry for him, and I feel for all homeless people, but 9 times out of 10, they choose that lifestyle. Usually because of drugs. Act a normal life, doing drugs, and when you get caught, you loose your appartment, all your stuff, and when you get out, you have nothing. Living on the street, the cops pretty much leave you alone, (would you frisk someone who had not washed in months?) while you do dope deals, and if you get pinched, when they let you out, they hand you back your backpack, containing everything you had when you got arrested. You lost nothing.

I wish I had what some people have, less stuff, so I could paddle off. Lol. Not Boston in the winter though.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46   #8

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Lets assume anyone living in a canoe, on the water, in a winter city, might have socialization issues, to be kind, and to be blunt, may be at least mildly retarded, or dependency problems with drugs and alcohol.

50 years ago, people like this were yanked off the streets and institutionalized. Today, we build them 7/11s to hang out in.

I feel sorry for him, and I feel for all homeless people, but 9 times out of 10, they choose that lifestyle. Usually because of drugs. Act a normal life, doing drugs, and when you get caught, you loose your appartment, all your stuff, and when you get out, you have nothing. Living on the street, the cops pretty much leave you alone, (would you frisk someone who had not washed in months?) while you do dope deals, and if you get pinched, when they let you out, they hand you back your backpack, containing everything you had when you got arrested. You lost nothing.

I wish I had what some people have, less stuff, so I could paddle off. Lol. Not Boston in the winter though.
Maybe he just has hangups about people especially how judgemental they can be and how cruelly they treat others who don't fit in or fall from grace?

Oh, best of luck to him. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time adventuring living in tents. The time I spent under a bridge rowing around catching bass in a ten foot boat was a lot healthier than what went on in the "perfect" family home beforehand.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico
As a side question, is a 14" canoe considered "blue water capable"?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47   #10

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Maybe he just has hangups about people especially how judgemental they can be and how cruelly they treat others who don't fit in or fall from grace?

Oh, best of luck to him. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time adventuring living in tents. The time I spent under a bridge rowing around catching bass in a ten foot boat was a lot healthier than what went on in the "perfect" family home beforehand.

Perhaps he figured out something others have not. That simplicty leads to happiness, and the more possessions one has the more complicated life is and further from happiness and peace.

I dont pitty him in the least. He is free.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:24   #11
Eternal Member

Fiberglass? Nah, me...I prefer birch bark. Only problem is where to fit the Espar (to keep the squaw warm when I'm out hunting).
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44   #12

Boat: O'Day 28

One problem I see here is the guy hasn't done his homework. You can get a lot of miles in a canoe, particularly with a cover but below 16 feet you're giving up both speed and space; a bad trade for a little lighter weight. My guess is this trip has been done by both canoe and kayak.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:55   #13

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post

What are we doing that's different? Bigger canoe with cabin and heat is all I can see.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:44   #14

A canoe seems like something best used to get from point A to point B. Not something that is both point A and point B. Factor in freezing cold winter conditions, and start counting your toes everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-vector-vector-cartoon-of-man-commuting-to-work-in-canoe-100337954.jpeg
Views:	736
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	50806  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04   #15

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I dare say he is a lot freer than most of us are, and happier too. As for camping out in winter, been there, done that and had a blast.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote